• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Deer stalking vs stag hunting

redhead101

Have I got this right?

The sport where you chase a deer and capture it is to be outlawed, but the sport where you chase a deer and shoot it dead, is not.

Am I missing something?

Joopface

We should ban deer altogether.

b.a. baracus

Have I got this right?

The sport where you chase a deer and capture it is to be outlawed, but the sport where you chase a deer and shoot it dead, is not.

Am I missing something?
I'd like to see you keep up with a deer on foot. Even Usain Bolt wouldn't have a hope. Shooting deer involves creeping up on them and then shooting them. It should not take more than one shot to despatch them and the deer should not know you are even there. It does not involve chasing them around.

willoughby

Have I got this right?

Am I missing something?
Well quick death is more humane than terrifying slow death, ban shooting and we must look at banning other meat production methods even if deer hunters primary reason for shooting deer is not for meat.

kingofpiccadilly

i think that the point redhead101 was making is that the staghunt do not kill the deer yet it is to be banned . . . . the aim of deer stalking is to kill the deer (in a quick and humane fashion) but it is to remain legal . . . .

i believe the ban on the ward union will have an effect on deer stalkers in relation to the number of dogs they use?

willoughby

i think that the point redhead101 was making is that the staghunt do not kill the deer yet it is to be banned . . . . the aim of deer stalking is to kill the deer (in a quick and humane fashion) but it is to remain legal . . . .

i believe the ban on the ward union will have an effect on deer stalkers in relation to the number of dogs they use?
Yes I understand that, but when killing deer is humane it is surely better than terrifying them and showing cruelty and not being humane.

kingofpiccadilly

given a choice . . . . would you rather be treated "cruelly" or killed "humanely" ?

(personally i do not object to deer stalking or stag hunting)

willoughby

given a choice . . . . would you rather be treated "cruelly" or killed "humanely" ?

(personally i do not object to deer stalking or stag hunting)
Me, I would prefer to survive, but if I was a deer :) . Honestly if we are still a carniverous society then we must kill our prey (be they wild or timid) in a quick and humane fashion.

This argument would surely expand out into horse racing and other animal sports should the hunt be banned.

Angmering

I have just joined this site, I have an insight into all of this, as I wrote the whole policy from 2005. I gave yrs of my life to it. Out of party now, so dont care what I can or cannot say. I wrote it, I know exactly what went on within the discussions and did it on my own for 7yrs. I wanted to start a new thread, but too new to this site and couldnt

Angmering

Not sure if anyone got the last post, as Im new to this. I dont want to be on this forum too long, but need to let the people know re the animal welfare agenda with the Greens

Sync

If you want to paste what you'd like the first post in the new thread to look like, I can set up a new thread for you.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies