• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Defamation in a global age: David Beckham and prostitution claim

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
An American magazine has alleged that David Beckham slept with a lady for a fee - and Beckham refutes this and is suing. Now defamation laws are very different in the US, where smears are common... I don't get how this case is being widely reported in the UK.

David Beckham takes legal action over claims he slept with prostitute - Telegraph
Beckham is suing a US magazine, In Touch, which published the claims by Irma Nici, 26.
Miss Nici, who bills herself on her website as "the world's most sought-after call girl" and charged up to $10,000 per night for her services, alleges that she slept with Beckham in a New York hotel room in August 2007, shortly after he joined the LA Galaxy team, and at Claridge's hotel in London a month later.
The only reason I figure it is, is that the Internet has changed the game, and if publication has happened in one country... the allegations can be repeated globally ?

What is certain is that if this type of thing was to have happened in the UK, Beckham would likely have been granted an interlocutory injunction preventing publication until a court decided the issue..

cYp

Interista

What is it with footballers and ugly hookers?

First there was that teenaged freak Frank Ribery flew over to Munich, then there was 'Juicy Jenny'. Now this? Having said that I don't believe the claims by this particular gold digger in search of 15 minutes of fame have any substance, but no doubt they will cause Beckham and his wife some distress nonetheless.

jackryan

Now what the hell can they do that's worth $10,000 I know I'm gay but I just can't imagine what you'd have to do to be worth that?

Interista

Now what the hell can they do that's worth $10,000 I know I'm gay but I just can't imagine what you'd have to do to be worth that?
I always thought one of the reasons famous men went with hookers was discretion - the idea that if you were paying a woman for her services, she wouldn't go and blab to the press. Beckham could have any woman he wanted (as could Rooney or Ribery, even though they're ugly) so why bother with a dodgy hooker if she's going to kiss and tell anyway? Might as well get it for free.

controller

From Popbitch
"A source close to Beckham last night
said he believes it may be part of a smear
campaign to harm England’s chances
of holding the World Cup in 2018."
Funny.

And our favourite crazy conspiracy
theory so far? The whole story was
planted by the Beckhams to take
everyone's attention away from their
gag-inducing perfume advert.
Come on, even PR geniuses like
Thick 'n Thin aren't THAT good...
are they?

owedtojoy

What is it about footballers and sex?

Peter Crouch (hardly a handsome, dashing figure of a man), was asked: "Peter, what would you be if you wern't a footballer?"

"A virgin", he replied, without hesitation.

Interista

If it is Beckham's denial that has allowed the story go public... Is that wise
What do you mean? WEren't the allegations published in a US magazine (albeit a fairly disreputable one)? How could he not deny the story once it had already been made public?

owedtojoy

They are an instant ticket to 15 minutes of fame and fortune for any ambitious, halfway decent-looking chick in a miniskirt hanging around a nightclub.

orbit

Peter Crouch (hardly a handsome, dashing figure of a man), was asked: "Peter, what would you be if you wern't a footballer?"

"A virgin", he replied, without hesitation.
LOL. He may be no oil-painting, but at least he has a sense of humour .

smitchy2

Beckhams cheating is the games worst kept secret.
Money has saved others from coming out.

Interista

Money has saved others from coming out.
That was kind of my earlier point.

I thought that paying a 'high class' hooker was another way of buying discretion. What's the point in paying for it when they're going to blag to the press anyway? Beckham is gorgeous enough to have his pick of women even if he weren't rich and famous.

controller

No such thing as bad publicity. I wonder just what else in going on in Beckhams life that he needs to be in the press???

Interista

No such thing as bad publicity. I wonder just what else in going on in Beckhams life that he needs to be in the press???
I'm not sure.

The lucrative 'brand Beckham' is based on the couple's supposedly 'passionate' relationship more than on his football skills, which are well past their best anyway. Rumours about him going with a hooker would not be good at all, especially among Americans, who tend to be much more prudish about these things than us sophisticated Yurpeens.

Libero

An American magazine has alleged that David Beckham slept with a lady for a fee - and Beckham refutes this and is suing. Now defamation laws are very different in the US, where smears are common... I don't get how this case is being widely reported in the UK.

David Beckham takes legal action over claims he slept with prostitute - Telegraph

The only reason I figure it is, is that the Internet has changed the game, and if publication has happened in one country... the allegations can be repeated globally ?

What is certain is that if this type of thing was to have happened in the UK, Beckham would likely have been granted an interlocutory injunction preventing publication until a court decided the issue..

cYp
MTV has reported this story better than the Telegraph, because MTV makes clear that it's Beckham's strategy to sue in London.
http://www.mtv.co.uk/artists/david-beckham/news/238336-beckhams-to-sue-in-the-uk

This raises a couple of questions, like why he won't attempt it in the US, and how he hopes to enforce a judgment against a US publication or individual, who enjoy legal protection in the US from English libel judgments.

ManfredJudge

MTV has reported this story better than the Telegraph, because MTV makes clear that it's Beckham's strategy to sue in London.
Beckhams

This raises a couple of questions, like why he won't attempt it in the US, and how he hopes to enforce a judgment against a US publication or individual, who enjoy legal protection in the US from English libel judgments.
In the US he would have to prove it was malicious (malice aforethought) whereas in London he would only have to prove it, er, incorrect.

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
Beckhams

That makes a whole lot more sense on why it is being reported in the UK

Though I don't get why he thinks he has a case there either... I suppose he4 is very blond

cYp

imokyrok

In the US he would have to prove it was malicious (malice aforethought) whereas in London he would only have to prove it, er, incorrect.
Yes - in the US it is close to impossible for a public figure to sue successfully in this situation. And a person can be made a public figure by virtue of a "story" in the media". Certainly that "defence" has been used successfully in the past.

Interista

Does he even have to do this? Isn't it enough for him that the publication cannot prove the allegations are true?

I thought it was the case that, in English libel law, the burden of proof is on the publication, not the plaintiff. This makes it almost impossible for a plaintiff to lose a libel case in the uniquely biased British system.