Deirdre Hargey: Sinn Féin's first female Belfast lord mayor

Roisin3

Ridiculous article even withstanding the fact she jumped the gun into who SF chose for mayor. Particularly this utter bollox.

'when you should be out enjoying yourself, unhampered by care and responsibility, just feels like a terrible waste of the best years of your life'.

Saying that, Eilis has always been a little dumb and has a touch of the RDE disease about her.
She jumped the gun, but commenting on teenagers in political office is fair game. They’re too young, simply not mature enough, and definitely not experienced enough. A bigger question to my mind is who votes for teenagers to any elected office outside of the student union?

PAGE61

The people of the UK are more than happy to live in a constitutional monarchy. It is no concern of yours.

How many people outside the RoI have ever heard of your President.
My Di** is bigger than your DI**. ..Its politics .ie not GB ?

InsideImDancing

How many female Presidents have there been in the US Tom?

How many female mayors of New York come to that?

You're a nauseating hypocrite Tom.
What's your former name?

theloner

She jumped the gun, but commenting on teenagers in political office is fair game. They’re too young, simply not mature enough, and definitely not experienced enough. A bigger question to my mind is who votes for teenagers to any elected office outside of the student union?
But Orla Nic Biorna is neither mayor nor a teenager. She's trainee teacher. Wonder how Christopher Stalford made the most of his wild early twenties.

Nordie Northsider

I see the Belfast tele got the Lord mayor wrong in a major article today.
That with a rant about young people in politics.
https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/politics/eilis-ohanlon-why-this-obsession-with-youth-in-politics-give-me-age-and-experience-every-time-36973299.html
I loved this: "Irish language activist Orla Nic Biorna must be congratulated on her fast track rise to prominence, because if that's what floats her boat, then who are we to judge?"

Then proceeds to judge...

Roisin3

But Orla Nic Biorna is neither mayor nor a teenager. She's trainee teacher. Wonder how Christopher Stalford made the most of his wild early twenties.
Then my bad, but I thought she was 20 and became a councillor when she was 19.

Would you use a 20 year old lawyer? A 20 year old doctor?

Of course not, you can’t even be those things at 20.

Why treat any elected office differently?

theloner

I loved this: "Irish language activist Orla Nic Biorna must be congratulated on her fast track rise to prominence, because if that's what floats her boat, then who are we to judge?"

Then proceeds to judge...
And talk ballix about future mayors doing GCSEs. INM is just about her level.

theloner

Then my bad, but I thought she was 20 and became a councillor when she was 19.

Would you use a 20 year old lawyer? A 20 year old doctor?

Of course not, you can’t even be those things at 20.

Why treat any elected office differently?
But I'd use a 20 year old spark, mechanic, taxi driver, carpenter, banker etc. Unlike lawyers and doctors, a politician doesn't have a minimum age of qualification. It is subjective though and you do have a point in there, somewhere. I'm right though.

Roisin3

But I'd use a 20 year old spark, mechanic, taxi driver, carpenter, banker etc. Unlike lawyers and doctors, a politician doesn't have a minimum age of qualification. It is subjective though and you do have a point in there, somewhere. I'm right though.
I’d be very reluctant to use a 20 year old tradesperson these days, apprenticeships aren’t what they used to be. And even when they were, I’d still be reluctant to use someone who is still inexperienced. Taxi driver would be the only one I’d use on that list, unless you meant bank teller rather than banker.

A bit of life experience is needed for politics, at a minimum knowing the ropes and your way around the block. Otherwise the person has to run to another person in their party to ask where to find things, how to do things, etc etc. Might as well vote for someone who can find their own way and doesn’t need to be told what to do and where to go etc etc. Too young. Be an assistant to an elected person for a while, learn the ropes a bit, and then come back around 23 or 24.

between the bridges

The family of IRA murder victim Robert McCartney have called on Sinn Fein's new Lord Mayor to meet them as they disputed her claim she did all she could to help them.

The McCartneys said the image of their brother Robert would "cast a long shadow" over Deirdre Hargey's term as Belfast's first citizen. They also challenged her to go to the PSNI and directly recount what she saw in Magennis's bar on the night in January 2005 when their brother was murdered.

Speaking as she became Sinn Fein's first female Lord Mayor of the city last night, Ms Hargey said she had done all she could to help the McCartneys get justice.

But Catherine McCartney told the Belfast Telegraph: "In the 13 years since Robert was murdered, Deirdre Hargey has never once reached out to us.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/robert-mccartneys-family-urge-sinn-feins-new-belfast-mayor-to-tell-them-what-she-saw-on-night-of-killing-36978086.html

theloner

I’d be very reluctant to use a 20 year old tradesperson these days, apprenticeships aren’t what they used to be. And even when they were, I’d still be reluctant to use someone who is still inexperienced. Taxi driver would be the only one I’d use on that list, unless you meant bank teller rather than banker.

A bit of life experience is needed for politics, at a minimum knowing the ropes and your way around the block. Otherwise the person has to run to another person in their party to ask where to find things, how to do things, etc etc. Might as well vote for someone who can find their own way and doesn’t need to be told what to do and where to go etc etc. Too young. Be an assistant to an elected person for a while, learn the ropes a bit, and then come back around 23 or 24.
Despite being right, you have some valid points. Bank teller, indeed. The young buck will be following strict party protocols and policy anyway, so as long as they know how to use the bathroom and smile, nothing is really gonna be so different, whether it be weathered wrinkles, or bright buttons giving the mob the eye. Ruth Patterson was deemed mentally mature for the job and she thinks St. Patrick was a Prod (Yeah, I know). Perhaps in this day and age with social media and timeless communication it can be seen as a big advantage. Imagine when you were a fresher and your classmate was mayor. It'd be the talk of da town and surely would encourage politicking amongst the young, which is a goooood thing. Besides, could she really do worse than say something like 'Taigs don't pay rates', that former quotable mayor seemed to immature with age. Quite a feat.

Roisin3

Despite being right, you have some valid points. Bank teller, indeed. The young buck will be following strict party protocols and policy anyway, so as long as they know how to use the bathroom and smile, nothing is really gonna be so different, whether it be weathered wrinkles, or bright buttons giving the mob the eye. Ruth Patterson was deemed mentally mature for the job and she thinks St. Patrick was a Prod (Yeah, I know). Perhaps in this day and age with social media and timeless communication it can be seen as a big advantage. Imagine when you were a fresher and your classmate was mayor. It'd be the talk of da town and surely would encourage politicking amongst the young, which is a goooood thing. Besides, could she really do worse than say something like 'Taigs don't pay rates', that former quotable mayor seemed to immature with age. Quite a feat.

I take your point but it’s a bit more than simply voting along party lines. Gotta hold some clinics in the ward, give people advice, deal with issues on their behalf and so on.

It’s always a thing to get a young person to attract other young people, and it’s a bit of a PR thing, who has the youngest elected person, almost like it’s a competition. So while Eilis is Eilis, spots never changing, and writes as scathingly as always, she has a point about the GCSEs, because it’s a bit of a PR stunt and oneupmanship to have the youngest person elected.

michael-mcivor

The family of IRA murder victim Robert McCartney have called on Sinn Fein's new Lord Mayor to meet them as they disputed her claim she did all she could to help them.

The McCartneys said the image of their brother Robert would "cast a long shadow" over Deirdre Hargey's term as Belfast's first citizen. They also challenged her to go to the PSNI and directly recount what she saw in Magennis's bar on the night in January 2005 when their brother was murdered.

Speaking as she became Sinn Fein's first female Lord Mayor of the city last night, Ms Hargey said she had done all she could to help the McCartneys get justice.

But Catherine McCartney told the Belfast Telegraph: "In the 13 years since Robert was murdered, Deirdre Hargey has never once reached out to us.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/robert-mccartneys-family-urge-sinn-feins-new-belfast-mayor-to-tell-them-what-she-saw-on-night-of-killing-36978086.html
The New Lord Mayor said she is willing to go to the PSNI if they ask her and make a statement - she is prepared to help the McCartney family in any way that she can-

between the bridges

The New Lord Mayor said she is willing to go to the PSNI if they ask her and make a statement - she is prepared to help the McCartney family in any way that she can-
Thons a cracker Mick, did ye keep a straight face when posting it?...

Newrybhoy

Why does she have to be asked?

Surely she should have volunteered this information years ago.

between the bridges

Why does she have to be asked?

Surely she should have volunteered this information years ago.
Afiak at the time she made a statement through solicitors that like the 70 other people in the bar, she didn't see or hear anything when the IRA gang brutally murdered a man...

Last edited:

Glaucon

Sinn Féin gave the OK for a party member with a controversial background to take up this post, a party member they actually suspended in 2005 over the very event she is now being criticized about.

This is a Sinn Féin screw-up.

Most Replies