Deliberate manipulation of currency values

gerhard dengler

An interesting report in the Financial Times, and also reported by Zerohedge, about the huge and practically instantaneous decrease in the value of the Pound, is noteworthy.

https://www.ft.com/content/4089c7d0-bba4-11e6-8b45-b8b81dd5d080

"Panicked" Citi Trader "Who Fired Off Repeated Sell Orders" Behind Pound Flash Crash | Zero Hedge

October 7th 2016, the value of the Pound fell from $1.26 to $1.14.
This fall in currency valuation is called a flash crash in economic/financial/banking world.

To put this currency movement in to context, currencies don't tend to appreciate or depreciate in value rapidly. Any movement is usually gradual and these movements happen over days rather than nanoseconds.

What happened in this flash crash is that the change in valuation was so abrupt and so significant in terms of the change in valuation that it caused panic and uncertainty throughout the currency markets.

The regulatory authorities are investigating this currency movement in the hope of identifying what, and who, caused the abrupt currency movement.

To put 7th October 2016 incident in context. The change in valuation was the biggest movement in such a short space of time ever in the currency markets.

Regardless of anything else which may be disclosed what is clear is that there are the means and the intent for someone or something to deliberately manipulate currency valuations.
Therefore it is entirely reasonable to assume that other assets price valuations could also be deliberately manipulated.

statsman

An interesting report in the Financial Times, and also reported by Zerohedge, about the huge and practically instantaneous decrease in the value of the Pound, is noteworthy.

"Panicked" Citi Trader "Who Fired Off Repeated Sell Orders" Behind Pound Flash Crash | Zero Hedge

This fall in currency valuation is called a flash crash in economic/financial/banking world.

To put this currency movement in to context, currencies don't tend to appreciate or depreciate in value rapidly. Any movement is usually gradual and these movements happen over days rather than nanoseconds.

What happened in this flash crash is that the change in valuation was so abrupt and so significant in terms of the change in valuation that it caused panic and uncertainty throughout the currency markets.

The regulatory authorities are investigating this currency movement in the hope of identifying what, and who, caused the abrupt currency movement.

To put 7th October 2016 incident in context. The change in valuation was the biggest movement in such a short space of time ever in the currency markets.

Regardless of anything else which may be disclosed what is clear is that there are the means and the intent for someone or something to deliberately manipulate currency valuations.
Therefore it is entirely reasonable to assume that other assets price valuations could also be deliberately manipulated.
So, there was no deliberate manipulation of currency value involved?

gerhard dengler

how do you think the big boys make money? through honesty
Fair point.

The articles seem to hint that devaluation was compounded by repeated sell orders being automatically issued by Citi Bank's Toyko trading desk.

mulligan

Financial markets and currency values are routinely manipulated and the propped up banks are ready to collapse ie Italian, Deutsche Bank. When the vested interests decide to strike they will, we already know they have the media in their pocket to manipulate the general populace once again.

[video=youtube;AJp6GygI92Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJp6GygI92Y[/video]

The Field Marshal

So, there was no deliberate manipulation of currency value involved?
Here is the OP that you missed with the heading at the top.

Deliberate manipulation of currency values.

statsman

Here is the OP that you missed with the heading at the top.

Deliberate manipulation of currency values.

You should have tried the links:

People with knowledge of events at Citi that day said one of the US bank’s traders placed multiple sell orders when the currency slumped in unusually fragile market conditions. One of the people said the trader “panicked”.
That's not 'deliberate manipulation'.

Last edited:

Happycamping

Financial markets and currency values are routinely manipulated and the propped up banks are ready to collapse ie Italian, Deutsche Bank. When the vested interests decide to strike they will, we already know they have the media in their pocket to manipulate the general populace once again.

Alex Jones...really?

Golden Phoenix

Closer to home, HOUSE PRICES are routinely manipulated by government, banks, the construction industry, property journalists, property supplements and the legal and property "professions" in Ireland.

Happycamping

Closer to home, HOUSE PRICES are routinely manipulated by government, banks, the construction industry, property journalists, property supplements and the legal and property "professions" in Ireland.
There is probably a thread on that subject.

Ruadh

A man speaking like that 20 years ago would be called a communist. I watched a few first minutes of it. A man opposed to the corporate power. But it's all so confused since he also wants to lower taxes - the Capitalist agenda.
I suspect that Alex Jones is mentally out there but so now the right is anti corporate? Wow, that took the slow learners how long!

gerhard dengler

So a currency trading desk automatically issued sell orders for Sterling. This appears to be the explanation for the reason why Sterling flash crashed.

The obvious question is - why were repeat sell orders issued? Was the automated instruction created by accident or design?

The buying and selling of commodities traded has become more and more automated.
The decision criteria applied to those trades is opaque to say the least.

blokesbloke

Oh OK, I confess it was me.

I had €100 left over from me holidays and I wanted the pound to crash so I could get more for my money when I exchanged.

Sorry!

statsman

Oh OK, I confess it was me.

I had €100 left over from me holidays and I wanted the pound to crash so I could get more for my money when I exchanged.

Sorry!

Congratulations, you just won blokesbloke's Post of the Week award. :)

statsman

Liberty, cut taxes, oppose corporate power by taxing them less.
It's worse than sad it's half baked and pathetic.
Not to mention enough conspiracies to fill Wembley Stadium. A loon.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies