• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Deliveroo takes 'zero hours' to the next level

gleeful

Deliveroo introduced a new drivers contract last week and is firing any driver who refuses to agree.

Deliveroo driver ‘fired for refusing unfavourable contract’

Except I'm sure they wouldn't call it 'firing' as the drivers aren't employees. They are 'consultants'. They get paid per delivery - €4.25

For the honour of making a delivery, they must pay Deliveroo €400 to use their branding - jacket, stickers on their own bikes, etc.

They also get a bonus for 'fastest delivery' and as non-Employees, the company has no responsibility for how this is achieved.

As 'consultants' they pay tax out of their €4.25. Do they pay VAT on that? Im not sure. But they wont get a PAYE tax credit, so they'll pay around €1800 extra tax over what employees would pay. They pay their own road tax, pay to keep their bikes working, pay their own insurance. Etc. Etc.

They set their own working hours - and I would imagine they will have to set this quite high to make a living on €4.25 per delivery.

Deliveroo recently raised an additional €100,000,000 to fund expansion.

I will be boycotting Deliveroo from now on. This is not how society should be.

antidistinctlyminty (ADM)

Deliveroo introduced a new drivers contract last week and is firing any driver who refuses to agree.

Except I'm sure they wouldn't call it 'firing' as the drivers aren't employees. They are 'consultants'. They get paid per delivery - €4.25

For the honour of making a delivery, they must pay Deliveroo €400 to use their branding - jacket, stickers on their own bikes, etc.

They also get a bonus for 'fastest delivery' and as non-Employees, the company has no responsibility for how this is achieved.

As 'consultants' they pay tax out of their €4.25. Do they pay VAT on that? Im not sure. But they wont get a PAYE tax credit, so they'll pay around €1800 extra tax over what employees would pay. They pay their own road tax, pay to keep their bikes working, pay their own insurance. Etc. Etc.

They set their own working hours - and I would imagine they will have to set this quite high to make a living on €4.25 per delivery.

Another step in the race to the bottom

Accidental sock

Who are they?
They're the guys who, when you have a falafel and coconut water emergency in your office, will send around a tattooed hipster on a bike

Carlos Danger

Website
www.youtube.com
They're the guys who, when you have a falafel and coconut water emergency in your office, will send around a tattooed hipster on a bike
Ah....so they only hire vegans?

Carlos Danger

Website
www.youtube.com
No its just their staff aren't paid enough to afford meat.
But, do they have staff?...I mean are their delivery drivers employees?

Last edited:

Thanks for the heads up. They go on the list.

Civic_critic2

This appears to be another example of a peer-to-peer technology being co-opted for use by old style first-to-market monopolists. People haven't really fully grasped yet that they don't need these companies, they just need the technology. Open source is one way to break this abusive profiteering, there may be others.

earwicker

What a shower of bastards.

gleeful

This appears to be another example of a peer-to-peer technology being co-opted for use by old style first-to-market monopolists. People haven't really fully grasped yet that they don't need these companies, they just need the technology. Open source is one way to break this abusive profiteering, there may be others.
Pricing dumping to achieve a monopoly only works when the cost of entry and the cost of switching for the user is high. But with all the current wave of 'unicorn' companies this isn't the case. The likes of Deliveroo, Airbnb, Uber, etc etc all run at a huge loss with the aim of grabbing market share - but as soon as they raise their prices to actually make a profit (or just to stop losing money) customers will switch to the next loss making startup trying to 'disrupt' the 'established players'.

These companies are a scam and are very destructive. Basically they are a fraud by the early investors - pitching to later stage investors - but knowing the house of cards will fall when the next price dumping round begins. They have no interest in building a sustainable company.

Carlos Danger

Website
www.youtube.com
So, the Deliveroo deliverers aren't employees at all. They're all self employed subcontractors in much the same way as über drivers aren't employees of über or an apartment owner isn't an employee of AirBnB.

It appears to me that "working" for these outfits is more of a way to supplement one's income rather than it being the main source of it.

earwicker

The likes of Deliveroo, Airbnb, Uber, etc etc all run at a huge loss with the aim of grabbing market share - but as soon as they raise their prices to actually make a profit (or just to stop losing money) customers will switch to the next loss making startup trying to 'disrupt' the 'established players'.
Spot on; the penny has to drop, surely. I'm no expert, but they look a whole lot like pyramid schemes to me.

gleeful

So, the Deliveroo deliverers aren't employees at all. They're all self employed subcontractors in much the same way as über drivers aren't employees of über or an apartment owner isn't an employee of AirBnB.

It appears to me that "working" for these outfits is more of a way to supplement one's income rather than it being the main source of it.
I'm more willing to believe the AirBnB claim.

Equinox

St. Peter don't you call me cause I can't go.
I owe my soul to the company store.

[video=youtube;L2tWwHOXMhI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2tWwHOXMhI[/video]

Well I've never used them, but I'll be making sure I never do.
The creeping corporatist attitude seems to want a return to Victorian work practices, if this isn't fought how long will it be before we return to the point of feudal chattle for our new feudal lords, the MNC CEOs?

gleeful

That people renting out their own flats/houses are not AirBnB employees. That is fair. Are landlords in Dublin the employees of Daft.ie?

However the idea that delivery drivers for Deliveroo are 'consultants' is simply a lie by that company. Revenue.ie should throw the book at them.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies