Demands of inter county game putting players off?

GDPR

First off a declaration of interest, I'm from Galway and would love nothing better than bating Mayo the weekend. In an interesting article, the Galway manager Kevin Walsh had revealed last month that since he took over, in the past 18 months, 52 players turned down the chance to come train under him. The article goes on to bemoan that Galway football seems to be waiting for Mayo to falter, instead of playing catching up. Now Galway are not at their peak they were during the days of Joyce, Donellan et al, yet they're no mugs. Solid division 2 team, with realistic chances of reaching All Ireland quarter finals. Instead the point is that, here's a traditional county so really no excuse, and yet clearly something gives. Why would a player say 'nah, I'm not bothered to have the chance to put on the jersey, I'm happy at club level where I'm a bigger fish in a smaller pond'. The high demands of inter county life, in both codes in reality means, social life, partners etc take a back seat. This in turn has lead to ever increasing number of uncompetitive matches in my opinion, with miss matches the norm, seriously off putting. The GAA is an amateur organisation, and yet it places professional demands on its players. Something needs to change, and badly in my view. And no I'm not moaning about the success of Mayo over Galway in recent times, it has always ebbed and flowed between the two, largely depending on which has the better team. Thoughts?

Ciarán Murphy: Apathy draining the life from Galway football

D

Deleted member 48908

Ebbed and flowed? Are ya mad, Ted? '51 was a long time ago.

freewillie

First off a declaration of interest, I'm from Galway and would love nothing better than bating Mayo the weekend. In an interesting article, the Galway manager Kevin Walsh had revealed last month that since he took over, in the past 18 months, 52 players turned down the chance to come train under him. The article goes on to bemoan that Galway football seems to be waiting for Mayo to falter, instead of playing catching up. Now Galway are not at their peak they were during the days of Joyce, Donellan et al, yet they're no mugs. Solid division 2 team, with realistic chances of reaching All Ireland quarter finals. Instead the point is that, here's a traditional county so really no excuse, and yet clearly something gives. Why would a player say 'nah, I'm not bothered to have the chance to put on the jersey, I'm happy at club level where I'm a bigger fish in a smaller pond'. The high demands of inter county life, in both codes in reality means, social life, partners etc take a back seat. This in turn has lead to ever increasing number of uncompetitive matches in my opinion, with miss matches the norm, seriously off putting. The GAA is an amateur organisation, and yet it places professional demands on its players. Something needs to change, and badly in my view. And no I'm not moaning about the success of Mayo over Galway in recent times, it has always ebbed and flowed between the two, largely depending on which has the better team. Thoughts?

Clubs losing league games ending up being regulated because county players are being kept away is a big problem. GAA county players who might play 8 games in the year pretending they are the same as professional soccer players is another problem

GDPR

Clubs losing league games ending up being regulated because county players are being kept away is a big problem. GAA county players who might play 8 games in the year pretending they are the same as professional soccer players is another problem
Would this be typical across counties?

neveragain

The talent is not there, anyone who watches club football in Galway knows that.

between the bridges

Galway obviously aren't paying enough...

Mr. Bumble

Seanie Lemass

Would this be typical across counties?

There was full round of Dublin SFL this week with all the big names playing. Same with Kilkenny hurling club games a few weeks ago. Led to Richie Hogan being injured and missing the match last Saturday against Dublin.

Seems only the mediocre counties wrap their players up in cotton wool....

freewillie

There was full round of Dublin SFL this week with all the big names playing. Same with Kilkenny hurling club games a few weeks ago. Led to Richie Hogan being injured and missing the match last Saturday against Dublin.

Seems only the mediocre counties wrap their players up in cotton wool....
Kerry are also very good at letting players go back to their clubs

Nedz Newt

The answer may lie in a change to the calendar, by running the league and provincial championship concurrently, with the 4 provincial champions + the Top 4 in the league qualifying for the All Ireland quarter finals.
This would mean matches nearly every weekend in-season (rather than constant training), enhance the significance of the league and retain the significance of the provincial championships.
Get it done and dusted by July (or by June for 24 of the 32 counties). Leaving the rest of the calendar for the clubs or for America.
The GAA could ensure retention of market prominence by starting the hurling championship just as the football one is coming to a climax.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies