Dempsey on Primetime talking about booking flights

breakingnews

Transport Minister, Noel Dempsey, appeared on tonight's Primetime, contributing to a report on the new Dublin Airport terminal.

During the programme, Dempsey explained that passengers don't look at the airport charges when they're booking their flights(this assumption is used to justify increasing airport charges to pay for Terminal 2).

He then went onto to simulate a booking transaction.

I found this completely astonishing. Noel Dempsey has never booked a flight since he became a minister in 1997. His officials either book the flights (and the State pays) or he uses the government jet.

Given the revelation about him taking a flight on the government jet to Derry Airport to attend an unimportant speech giving conference in Donegal in the summer, I find it just unbelievable that he would come out with such rubbish about people not noticing airport charges.

Anyone else see this nonsense?

Clanrickard

He was later contradicted by the guy from Bloxham.

DCon

I heard him mumbling about passhengersh and tuned out

breakingnews

The irony of him talking about booking flights given what happened during the summer with him.

The Field Marshal

I found this completely astonishing. Noel Dempsey has never booked a flight since he became a minister in 1997. His officials either book the flights (and the State pays) or he uses the government jet.
Anyone else see this nonsense?
Breakingnews obviously know the minister intimately since he can state categorically that he never booked a flight either for himself , his family,or any other living person in the entire 13 years since he became a minister.

How does breakingews :rolleyes:know all this fascinating information I wonder.

loner

He looked a bit subdued--must be worrying about how long more he will be around in politics--not long I hope. Must have no shame but obviously being in power for so long he possibly thinks he has a right to be there forever.

Dunlin3

Maybe he booked his own flight back from Malta in January when we all freezing our asses off!!

DCon

He looked a bit subdued--must be worrying about how long more he will be around in politics--not long I hope. Must have no shame but obviously being in power for so long he possibly thinks he has a right to be there forever.
I'm sure the wife likes being driven to the shops by a Garda driver in the Merc.

Will be hard to lose that

The Field Marshal

Considering the difficulties the country currently faces any minister would look a bit subdued.

In fact if there is a change of govt that excludes FF then I guarantee you that within 2 years unemployment will have climbed to 600000+ and the IMF will be calling the shots.

At that stage there will be many very subdued FG & Lab ministers glad to relieve themselves of the burdens of office.

nonpartyboy

An out and out bluffer is lord dempsey, as others have said he probably hasn't booked a flight in 15 years. And as for paying a toll i can only guess...........he would have done well in 18th century france.

nonpartyboy

Considering the difficulties the country currently faces any minister would look a bit subdued.

In fact if there is a change of govt that excludes FF then I guarantee you that within 2 years unemployment will have climbed to 600000 and the IMF will be calling the shots.

At that stage there will be many very subdued FF & Lab ministers glad to relieve themselves of the burdens of office.
I take it you meant fg ministers, if they kango the quangos we could easily save 5 billion overnight.

Mushroom

Especially if one was the Ministerial asswhole who had squandered over €50 million of taxpayers funds on useless e-voting machines.

EvotingMachine0197

In fact if there is a change of govt that excludes FF then I guarantee you that within 2 years unemployment will have climbed to 600000+ and the IMF will be calling the shots.

At that stage there will be many very subdued FG & Lab ministers glad to relieve themselves of the burdens of office.
Seriously, how can we discuss what Dempsey said if the thread is going to be derailed by Nostradamic members of FF.

In early May 2007, Michael McDowell (PD) issued a warning about Slump Coalition. He was referring to FG+LAB.

As it has emerged, his coalition was the cause of the slump.

Now, less of the stupid predictions and more discussion of the facts please.

The Field Marshal

I take it you meant fg ministers, if they kango the quangos we could easily save 5 billion overnight.
Thank you for that correction nonpartyboy.
I did indeed mean FG ministers and have amended my post .

The HSE employ 100,000 people with a budget of 14,billion per annum.

Just slash 4 billion from that and problem solved.

That would mean reducing the workforce by approx 20,000.

Indeed the pain could be spread and if the govt reduced the public sector workforce by 40,000 spread over all deptartments many of the nations problems would be solved overnight.

Last edited:

The Field Marshal

Seriously, how can we discuss what Dempsey said if the thread is going to be derailed by Nostradamic members of FF.

In early May 2007, Michael McDowell (PD) issued a warning about Slump Coalition. He was referring to FG+LAB.

As it has emerged, his coalition was the cause of the slump.

Now, less of the stupid predictions and more discussion of the facts please.
We have discussed what dempsey said.
The OPs rubbish about dempsey never booking a flight in 13 years.
Thats it,

You cannot derail a so called thread based on a simple and incorrect assertion of that nature.

Unless somebody can prove for a fact that dempsey never booked a flight in 13 yrs as a minister as asserted by the OP

the thread is now a free for all.

breakingnews

How does anyone know that he has booked flights since 1997? Unless you can prove it, my statement that he "never" booked flights since 1997 is plausible.

The Field Marshal

OK then.

Yet the tax itself needs further discussion. It doesn't make sense to me on a commmercial level.
Agreed.
All the private interests opposed the new terminal but the DAA buldozed ahead regardless.

Now Dublin has a costly new oversized terminal designed to attract visitors and will charge them over the odds.

If you have ever been inside the old terminal you would have seen adverts that had the slogan "Why Pay More"

I used to joke about it and answer "Because We Charge More".

Obviously I joked too loudly as the DAA have taken it seriously.

-----------

The Field Marshal

How does anyone know that he has booked flights since 1997? Unless you can prove it, my statement that he "never" booked flights since 1997 is plausible.
Its not plausible at all.

You are the one who made the assertion on a thread started by you that was designed to down the minister.

As the poster who has started a thread based on this assertion if you want anybody to take you seriously it is incumbent upon you breakingnews
to prove that assertion with facts statistics and data plus links, we will even accept anecdotal evidence if you have any gleaned from your personal relationship with this minister,

I was astounded at the assertion and assumed you knew the minister personally in order to make such a bold and unequivocal assertion concerning not just his public but also his private conduct.

To date breakingnews has provided nothing other than a begrudgers rant at minister Dempsey.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

New Threads

Most Replies