Dempsey wont confirm if he will stand in GE

Tomas Mor

On Newstalk this am Noel Dempsey would not confirm that he will run in forthcoming GE. Seems to be leaving his options open-maybe the lure of big pension, soft landing money beckons him also rather than a spell in opposition. One wonders how much those guys care about the national interest and their oft quoted " Service" to the people. "Service" by the way is a term beloved of the Lenihan clan in particular, inc the late Brian Snr.

ellie08

Sure whether he's standing or sitting, it's hard to tell the difference!

Monday Monday

As I noted on another thread Noel "Snowman" Dempsey is pretty unpopular with the Trim electorate these days.

If he runs, I'll put money on him losing his seat.

FakeViking

I heard the interview, he was just playing games. No doubt he'll run.
What's in it for him? He'll be just another piece of opposition lobbyfodder, no flashy car & driver, no jet at his beck and call, no team of civil servants doing his constituency "work"? Or he can take the enormous pension and call in a favour for a cushy job?

harryshounds

he lost any residual support he may have had in trim by supporting the greens anti hunting agenda in the programm for government. he's gone if he runs and he knows it.

Social Conscience

Maybe he read his favourite Sunday paper yesterday and saw in black and white just how much cash he will get in a lump sum as well as in his yearly pension if he heads into the sunset right now.

He would of course be a huge loss to FF and Irish politics.

muffin

Does anyone know what time the budget will be announced at tom?

TonyB

Twitter
technopolitics
All them tratiors are the same...

FakeViking

Maybe he read his favourite Sunday paper yesterday and saw in black and white just how much cash he will get in a lump sum as well as in his yearly pension if he heads into the sunset right now.

He would of course be a huge loss to FF and Irish politics
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

ellie08

Met him at a wedding once. Tiny little man boogying away on the dancefloor. Can't say much for his dance moves, or his performance as Minister for transport for that matter.

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
Like Ahern he'll be paid a lot more if he retires than if he's sitting on the opposition benches, where's the incentive to run?

The same applies to O'Rourke. I can't see her standing either.

stanley

What's in it for him? He'll be just another piece of opposition lobbyfodder, no flashy car & driver, no jet at his beck and call, no team of civil servants doing his constituency "work"? Or he can take the enormous pension and call in a favour for a cushy job?

The missus and her mate wont be able to use the jit for shopping any more in London.

The son wont be able to use the State car for flashing himself about Dublin.

As for the rest, it sounds like work, he will retire, nobody could understand his accent and ways in Europe, pure gold gombeen.

Mushroom

Holy Cow

Is there any truth in the story that Bord Gas are building a special pipe to Noels new mansion?

G

Gimpanzee

I know its not popular these days (ok, it never was popular...) but I think Dempsey was a decent politician. Or at least tried to be a decent politician in terms of formulating policies that would benefit the country and not going for the populism. He attempted genuine reform, only to be stymied by Bertie's populism at every turn. He pissed off the unions in Education and Transport only for them to go to Uncle Bert and ask him to get Dempsey back into line. Aer Lingus, Dublin Bus, DAA - all a mess and in each case his policies were right and overturned. He made mistakes and acted the bollox with the jet etc.., but on the whole unlike the vast majority of them I think he actually tried to do the ministerial job he was given and wasn't run by the civil service like the vast majority of the rest. If there were more like Dempsey - particularly in the Taoiseachs spot, we wouldn't be in the situation we are in now. I'd give him the Tariq Aziz treatment and plead clemency for Dempsey.

New Threads

Most Replies