• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Denis O'Brien now main shareholder in INM

constitutionus

Got this from the news section of NIBs eBanking facility.

i knew something was up as INM was shifting incredible levels of shares every day for that last week, litterally around 30 million a day.

at first i thought it was corporate types getting back into the company but now it looks like dennis obrien was upping his stake from 13.8% to 18.61%.

this now means he's the biggest single share holder in INM, overtaking the oriely family.

any ideas what this means for the business ? :)

hammer

My humble opinion

He`ll buy out bond holders.
He`ll reduce staff numbers
He`ll take the company private or put all his radio interests into the Group
He`ll increase the price to €2.20
He`ll get rid of little willie, eoghan harris, shane ross etc.

stanley

Got this from the news section of NIBs eBanking facility.

i knew something was up as INM was shifting incredible levels of shares every day for that last week, litterally around 30 million a day.

at first i thought it was corporate types getting back into the company but now it looks like dennis obrien was upping his stake from 13.8% to 18.61%.

this now means he's the biggest single share holder in INM, overtaking the oriely family.

any ideas what this means for the business ? :)

DOB is reputed to have lost some 500m on his holdings in INM to date, he is obviously determined to oust the O'R's and I would think take it private.

Perhaps he will start to get better Press on his Moriarty dealings now but TBH INM have been on bended knee to him now for some time.

Mind you it is just changing a winger for a prop.

constitutionus

would it even be possible for him to take it private?

the bondholders have 46% of the company and oreily has somewhere around 14% so if 7% or more dont want to sell to him he cant get the 80% needed to compulsorally buy out the rest of the shareholders (at least if my recolection of getting burned on eircom is accurate :) )

i think its more about showing up sir anto than anything else.

be very intersting to see if it does impact on the editorial content on the newspapers and radio stations they own.

as stan says they have had to keep one eye on him anyway but now its much more the case.

i bet anto is raging though :)

constitutionus

Anorakphobia

Bonfire of the Vanities as Denis tells Tony his cash **** is bigger.

As for share price going to 2.20, I assume that is 2.2 cents rather than €2 euro.

O'Brien looks to me to be a potential Quinn mark 2.
The 500 million he recently "released" to himself via selling one part of Digicel to another is clearly cash he needed to cover his calamitious Indo punt and he has lost hugely on Aer Lingus as well.

If I was a shareholder or bondholder in Digicel I would be furious at this sort of "release".
Not for a second saying it's illegal but I wouldn't want to have a nickel invested in any company where the founder can pull out loot that easily.

Have to admit i'd certainly raise a glass to him if he threw Barry Egam, Harris, Brendan O' Connor et al on to the dole.
Forget your investment in Aer Lingus Denis, if you shagged those cretins on the scrap heap you'd be doing the country a real patriotic service.

Malbekh

thanks dave.

the problem with the Ebanking site is it gives you the info but says all its reports come via reuters and i couldnt find a link for this story there.

at least now you guys know im not just making up stuff :)
No we're not, and it's a darn good spot. Well done.

bayern

As for share price going to 2.20, I assume that is 2.2 cents rather than €2 euro.

The 500 million he recently "released" to himself via selling one part of Digicel to another is clearly cash he needed to cover his calamitious Indo punt and he has lost hugely on Aer Lingus as well.

If I was a shareholder or bondholder in Digicel I would be furious at this sort of "release".
Not for a second saying it's illegal but I wouldn't want to have a nickel invested in any company where the founder can pull out loot that easily.

Have to admit i'd certainly raise a glass to him if he threw Barry Egam, Harris, Brendan O' Connor et al on to the dole.
Forget your investment in Aer Lingus Denis, if you shagged those cretins on the scrap heap you'd be doing the country a real patriotic service.
Second that, the Sindo is an absolute reactionary rag and the journalists you mentioned plus others such as Ruth Dudley Edwards and her ilk are awful ****************************************s.

southwestkerry

O'Brien's ego is out off control like a few others in biz and its going to cost him long term.

T

The_Big_Fellow

What he says above

olamp

Remember -The Moriarty Tribunal was set up to investigate payments to politicians -do you think that Denis O Brien is off the hook?

stanley

Remember -The Moriarty Tribunal was set up to investigate payments to politicians -do you think that Denis O Brien is off the hook?

At the moment Govt is doing its damnest to make sure the verdict does not mean they are sued afterwards, it does look like they may have to save Lowry's sorry arce and thereon DOB's rather larger one as a means to justify the end.

Pressure is on FF as DOB will make their miserable lives worse when he has INM.

Moriarty is under huge pressure as late witnesses who did not or would not testify before are being parachuted in.

constitutionus

sweet jesus.

just checked the share trading info on this today.

274,858,569 shares changed hands today.

Thats the biggest volume figure i can remember for an ISEQ stock for the last two years ! I bet the brokers are absolutely delighted with dennis's move today, they mustve made a fecking fortune out of this from commission fees.

EDIT.

sorry, had 275 in instead of 274 at the begining of that figure !

Last edited:

stanley

Did Lowry end up getting any payments or did he just return them all :) :)

If Dob separates himself from Lowry as we approach the Report there will be skin and hair flying, politicians dont give back money, Ahern must be sick at paying back "digouts" as he never got them in the first place.

constitutionus

just a little addendum to this.

up on the business section of RTE.IE you can access the morning reports of brokerage firms and in the one on bloxham PDF theres a very intersting bit of info.

according to them DOB bought all his shares off BOI , who sold their stake as a part of their asset disposal programme. apparently this was done at a 15% discount meaning dennis couldve picked up the whole lot for less than 20m

wonder if sir anto knew BOI were dumping his stock or is this just another example of the interlocking tentacles of the upper end of irish society benefiting "one of the lads" again. :)

constitutionus

Theyve flogged their apn holding to clear their debt to Murdoch .so INM should go mental today .dinny sold out of it too.

Analyzer

just a little addendum to this.

up on the business section of RTE.IE you can access the morning reports of brokerage firms and in the one on bloxham PDF theres a very intersting bit of info.

according to them DOB bought all his shares off BOI , who sold their stake as a part of their asset disposal programme. apparently this was done at a 15% discount meaning dennis couldve picked up the whole lot for less than 20m

wonder if sir anto knew BOI were dumping his stock or is this just another example of the interlocking tentacles of the upper end of irish society benefiting "one of the lads" again. :)
Amazing how DOB bought shares off BoI, considering that DOB was a shareholder in BoI.

Though BoI shares were not a great investment, so that cost him where he was not expecting it.

Anyway, I am beginning to see a certain theme. Like SiteServ.