Denis O'Brien pays for Trappatoni

popper

Perhaps O'Brien will also buy them a stadium somewhere and get them out of Croke Park.

G

Gimpanzee

Defeated Romanticist said:
O'Brien is trying the Abramovich method of buying respecability. This doesn't change my opinion of him in the slightest.
Indeed. Abramovich is paying half of Guus Hiddinks salary as Russian coach. As for the 'respec' - I don't know how he can sleep at night knowing how low your opinion of him is...

Riadach

I can't imagine mr O'Brien paying 1 million every year. Perhaps this is an indication of how short Trappatoni's stay is going to be.

Stíofán

Website
www.redbrick.dcu.ie
[quote="johnfás":21ucyfok][quote="Defeated Romanticist":21ucyfok]O'Brien is trying the Abramovich method of buying respecability. This doesn't change my opinion of him in the slightest.
I'm sure you have no problem with Mr O'Reilly owner of the Fianna Independent though.[/quote:21ucyfok]
Lots of problems. Listen to his talk radio station to find out why.

If this was a charitable donation for moral reasons we wouldn't know about it.[/quote:21ucyfok]

Oh, I don't know I wouldn't be so cynical about Dennis O'Briens intentions.
I think Sir Anthony has the market cornered on selfish 'charity'. I have heard he donated €500,000 to then new DCU Library (in comparison to the €5,000,000 that Chuck Feeney donated) only on the condition he got the naming rights. So now DCU as the O'Reilly Library, UCD has O'Reilly Hall etc etc.

Aside from the ego-massaging narcissism of naming things after yourself, it's elitist to confine your philanthropy to Operas and Universities.

constitutionus

guess this means all the footie coverage will be on NewsTalk and the matches wil be taken off the telly :)

theres as much chance of obrien doing this for nothing as de berts digouts coming for free

watch closely over the next year or so. you might be winning free match tickets off oisean langan or something :) :)

just_society

[quote="johnfás":1fpdazz5][quote="Defeated Romanticist":1fpdazz5]O'Brien is trying the Abramovich method of buying respecability. This doesn't change my opinion of him in the slightest.
I'm sure you have no problem with Mr O'Reilly owner of the Fianna Independent though.[/quote:1fpdazz5]

If this was a charitable donation for moral reasons we wouldn't know about it.[/quote:1fpdazz5]

That depends on whose side you're on of course!

Antonio is very pro-FF, because he hates FG (merger issues etc.).

Dino is pro-FG, because he dislikes FF. He was also lectured by Maurice Manning, whom he developed great respect for, (and he probably hasn't forgot the relatively inexpensive mobile licence).

In a perfect world of course political organisations would not accept large donations from businessmen, and fair and balanced media reporting of political issues would be the norm. But the sums involved in the current US election would scare any democrat (in the original sense of the word), and the broadcast and print media's are often quite heavily biased towards one party or another.

I say in this light, if FF have Antonio, let FG have Dino. Terrible pity we can't buy in politicians like Abramovich! (Deasy out, Rabitte in).

DOD

Podolski said:
If this was genuinely about supporting Irish football O'Brien should have included an anonymity clause to keep his name quiet. This is about O'Brien the philantropist - the very public philantropist. You'd think with all his money he could at least have got Alex Ferguson.
Or maybe pay a bit of tax? Funny how Mr O' Brien will take the plaudits for funding a world class manager and jump on the Special olympics, but when the tax man comes calling, he discovers he no longer lives here.

Yep - the £80million he avoided paying on the ESAT sale could have ensured proper education for autistic children - or - improvements in mental health services - or - fixed Galways water supply - or -

Nay - better idea - pander to sport and throw a few greenbacks at the FAI - it'll work wonders.

[quote="johnfás":xc7oeuhp][quote="Defeated Romanticist":xc7oeuhp]O'Brien is trying the Abramovich method of buying respecability. This doesn't change my opinion of him in the slightest.
I'm sure you have no problem with Mr O'Reilly owner of the Fianna Independent though.[/quote:xc7oeuhp]

If this was a charitable donation for moral reasons we wouldn't know about it.[/quote:xc7oeuhp]

We would not have, but that the media broke the news that someone had offered money, it was misrepresented as an attempt to 'buy' the FAI and so the FAI and the doner had to go public and reveal the details. If they had not, you and others would be complaining about some secret donation and asking why the details had not been released.

It was a case of 'damned if he did, damned if he didn't' with some critics.

jjones

Tribunaljunkie said:
We would not have, but that the media broke the news that someone had offered money, it was misrepresented as an attempt to 'buy' the FAI and so the FAI and the doner had to go public and reveal the details. If they had not, you and others would be complaining about some secret donation and asking why the details had not been released.

It was a case of 'damned if he did, damned if he didn't' with some critics.
Amazing. You seem to have a specific knowledge of Mr O'Brien's public relations intentions. How, pray tell, do you know that if it were not for the dastardly media "we would not have" known? Does the fact that you are so apparently knowledgeable of Mr O'Brien's PR thinking perhaps undermine the objectivity of your claims?

kerrynorth

Seemingly there is more to this. On Vincent Browne O'Brien said he was 'in the loop' as to all the machinations in selecting the manger and that his offer was made even before Steve Staunton was given the elbow!

CookieMonster

hiker said:
Well done the FAI and Dennis O'Brien and fcuk the begrudgers.
Here, here!

Aww lads - leave it out - If someone puts up the money to ensure that we get the best manager for the soccer team with no strings attached then fair play to him.

Lets get behing Trapattoni and Ireland and work for qualification to SA 2010.

Victor Meldrew

Podolski said:
If this was genuinely about supporting Irish football O'Brien should have included an anonymity clause to keep his name quiet. This is about O'Brien the philantropist - the very public philantropist. You'd think with all his money he could at least have got Alex Ferguson.
And maybe pay tax in the state (as has been stated already in the thread).

And maybe do something about the dire state of Soccer at a local, grass roots level.....

:roll:

popper

kerrynorth said:
Seemingly there is more to this. On Vincent Browne O'Brien said he was 'in the loop' as to all the machinations in selecting the manger and that his offer was made even before Steve Staunton was given the elbow!

That is the real story but of course the media with the exception of the above are not interested because for most part they have same relationship to tax exiles as a certain species of fly to a cows bottom.

Seems as though the whole "searching for a manager" was a bit of a charade driven by O'Brien and without the knowledge of the FAI five eights or the other candidates. Still, I suppose you don't buy something or somebody and expect back talk :lol:

hopi watcher

Conscience money?

UnitedIreland

Podolski said:
You'd think with all his money he could at least have got Alex Ferguson.
trappa is actually more successful than fergie though! like 10 league titles, 6 european titles, the intercontinental title, 4 national cups.

and hes also one of two men to have won the league title in four different countries! italy, portugal, germany and austria!

Top Bottom