Denis O'Brien's INM says Newspapers must merge to survive

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
So INM which [redacted] owns 29.9% of, wants impending media plurality legislation to be watered down

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/newspapers-must-merge-to-survive-warns-independent-news-media-1.3172387
Legislation intended to protect media plurality is failing do its job because it is ignoring the “highly challenged” conditions in news publishing, Independent News & Media has claimed in a blunt statement on the health of Irish newspapers.
The company, which recently issued a profit warning amid falling circulation and advertising revenue, said it was “essential” that newspaper industry consolidation be allowed to take place.
...Mr O’Brien, who owns 29.9 per cent of INM, also owns radio group Communicorp, the radio station behind Newstalk, Today FM, Dublin’s 98 FM, Spin 1038 and Spin South West.
[redacted] of course fancies himself as a strong player in Irish public life:

I don't expect Leo will be anything like as close to [redacted] as previous FG leaders ?

cyp

Dame_Enda

Media ownership should be treated like any other mergers or takeovers in terms of competition law.

It is true though that the print media are threatened by the growth of the internet. They are also threatened by groupthink and bias that further drives would-be readers to the internet where they can find alternative points of view to the Establishment one traditionally buttressed by Independent Newspapers.

jpc

Nobody wants independent or alternative positions on any thing.
Where did you hear that from?

Gaston

Dr Evil wants even more control of de meeja, which is dying as more & more people are turned off from it, don't trust it and increasingly couldn't give two hoots as to what it has to say. Meh.

SeanieFitz

this is one of the issues Pat Rabbitte committed to address, he was going to ensure no individual/company would have control/influence over a large tranche of the Irish media. Now that went well for Pat, another commitment undelivered.
O'Brien is staying uncharacteristically quiet of late, that makes me nervous, that should make us all nervous.

Henry94.

I think we need fit person type legislation on media ownership. Criminal convictions or adverse tribunal findings should give the Dail the right to disqualify from ownership.

Mad as Fish

this is one of the issues Pat Rabbitte committed to address, he was going to ensure no individual/company would have control/influence over a large tranche of the Irish media. Now that went well for Pat, another commitment undelivered.
O'Brien is staying uncharacteristically quiet of late, that makes me nervous, that should make us all nervous.
Perhaps his American friends have got pissy with him, I can well imagine that he is the one that is nervous.

Man or Mouse

Could it be his finances are not as wonderful as the veneer suggests? That deal he was trying to get D'indo to do by buying Newstalk looks like a Trump style dodge.

Not to mention further consolidation of media ownership issues.

SeanieFitz

Could it be his finances are not as wonderful as the veneer suggests? That deal he was trying to get D'indo to do by buying Newstalk looks like a Trump style dodge.

Not to mention further consolidation of media ownership issues.
Maybe, maybe it will all come crumbling down around him.

PO'Neill

Website
www.facebook.com
I don't expect Leo will be anything like as close to [redacted] as previous FG leaders ?

cyp
He didn't mention how in 2011 Fianna Gael and LP dropped VAT on the printed media to the lower rate of 9% while the general rate went up to 23%. Clearly the gombeen establishment were doing everything to make sure their crony's propaganda comics survive. Don't be surprised if Leo Thatcher and co. now drop the 9% rate too, all stops must be pulled out for the survival of gombeenism :)

razorblade

Print media is coming to an end the future is now online, much better for getting a wide source of information thats not agenda driving like you get in print media for example.

Mad as Fish

Print media is coming to an end the future is now online, much better for getting a wide source of information thats not agenda driving like you get in print media for example.
It depends what you mean by 'print media'? Away from newspapers there is a realisation that other forms such as books and magazines do have a value and veracity that online sources cannot provide. They tend to be peer reviewed for instance and are more able to be trusted. I for one certainly treat the web with a certain amount of suspicion, having learnt that not all it holds is gold, and I will usually turn to books if I really want to know about something.

themorrigan

How come in the age of steam and metal typeface, even minor newspapers could make money, but in the age of word processors and the internet, not even INM can manage to turn a profit on a dominant national newspaper?

Mad as Fish

How come in the age of steam and metal typeface, even minor newspapers could make money, but in the age of word processors and the internet, not even INM can manage to turn a profit on a dominant national newspaper?
An interesting line of thought.

PO'Neill

Website
www.facebook.com
And free newspapers also seem to be able to get by ?

Man or Mouse

D'Indo has €100m in cash it seems, though unable to meet pension obligations. Unwilling would be more like it.

*EPIC SUCCESS*

So INM which [redacted] owns 29.9% of, wants impending media plurality legislation to be watered down

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/newspapers-must-merge-to-survive-warns-independent-news-media-1.3172387

[redacted] of course fancies himself as a strong player in Irish public life:

cyp
He is as deep in O'Bribes pocket as every other FG in the Dail.

L'Chaim

I believe the local newspapers all around the country are selling really well. They actually send journalists out to investigate stories and do what journalists should do. It's only the national papers that aren't doing as well as they used to, and are like catalogues because of the numbers of full page ads in them. The journalists in these papers seem to be taking a story, mainly from a police source, and then report on it ad nauseam over and over again from as many different angle as they can. This is actually inventing news and isn't real news at all.

How many times have we seen headlines in the Herald about a character called Fat Freddie? He's a gangster apparently. Now I don't know about anyone else, but I don't care less whether Fat Freddie, or some other criminal, is back here from Spain, or heading out to Spain etc. It's not news!

It seems that crime reporters are now the stars of national newspapers. And they don't report on news, they make it up. They use "sources" but how reliable are these sources? I've no interest in John Gilligan, The Monk, or Fat Freddie, or anybody else of their ilk. I wish they'd stop clogging up newspaper space, because between them and the full page ads for supermarkets, there's actually very little space left for real news.

And that's why the Local newspapers around the country are still doing well and the national newspapers are struggling

Aristodemus

I will really miss Independent Newspapers when they cease to trade................not

artfoley56

I think we need fit person type legislation on media ownership. Criminal convictions or adverse tribunal findings should give the Dail the right to disqualify from ownership.
Or being from cork

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies