Dennis Nilsen dies in prison

Cruimh

Death in prison has been announced of the monster Denis Nilsen, aged 72

Dennis Nilsen: Serial killer dies in prison aged 72 - BBC News

Nilsen, 72, was jailed in 1983 with a recommendation he serve at least 25 years.

The former civil servant murdered and dismembered several of his victims, most of them homeless young gay men, at his home in Muswell Hill, north London.

He was convicted of six counts of murder and two of attempted murder.

The Prison Service said Nilsen died at HMP Full Sutton near York.

A spokesman added: "As with all deaths in custody, there will be an independent investigation by the Prisons and Probation Ombudsman."
Although the minimum tariff was 25 years, he died after 35 years in Jail. I had expected him to have been released at some point, but am glad he wasn't. Was it because he failed to show remorse? Was he still considered a danger to the public?

General Urko

Was he ever put in a psychiatric hospital after his conviction, because surely he was a padded cell job!
I'm amazed such a low tariff was placed at 25 years minmum, of course AFAIK, in The Republic, we don't have tariffs and if he even served 20 years, a few fúcktards would be calling for his release on 'humanitarian' grounds, when obviously locking up and 'losing' the key is the only civilized solution!

GDPR

Was he ever put in a psychiatric hospital after his conviction, because surely he was a padded cell job!
I'm amazed such a low tariff was placed at 25 years minmum, of course AFAIK, in The Republic, we don't have tariffs and if he even served 20 years, a few fúcktards would be calling for his release on 'humanitarian' grounds, when obviously locking up and 'losing' the key is the only civilized solution!
Look Urko, he got a whole life sentence. There was never any possibility of parole. OP was wrong.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_imprisonment_in_England_and_Wales#Whole_life_order

Do Pieters always rush in and shout the odds with no idea what they are talking about?

General Urko

Look Urko, he got a whole life sentence. There was never any possibility of parole. OP was wrong.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_imprisonment_in_England_and_Wales#Whole_life_order

Do you always rush in and shout the odds with no idea what you are talking about?
Do you always take Wiki as gospel!
In fairness, it would be quite shocking if the loon wasn't locked up for life and those sort do get tougher sentence in The UK than here!
Mind you quite a number of extremely serious loons in Norn Iron got out before their time, when they should have been lifers!

flavirostris

An interesting case. He preyed on gay and homeless men he would pick up in the bars of Soho.

He was caught after disposing of human remains down the drainage system and plumbers had been called in to investigate the blockage.

GDPR

Do you always take Wiki as gospel!
In fairness, it would be quite shocking if the loon wasn't locked up for life and those sort do get tougher sentence in The UK than here!
Mind you quite a number of extremely serious loons in Norn Iron got out before their time, when they should have been lifers!
I dont take wiki as gospel. I posted it in this case because it is accurate. The whole life sentence was actually brought in specifically after the Yorkshire Ripper and Nilsen cases. Given capital punishment no longer existed, there was political pressure to ensure egregious murderers were never released.

I would know this, because I studied it, being a British citizen who did a British law degree. :D

Sheeple_Waker

Do Pieters always rush in and shout the odds with no idea what they are talking about?
Actually you’re both correct on this one, he originally received a life sentence with a 25 year tariff but the Home Secretary imposed a whole life tariff on him in 1993. While this was undoubtedly the appropriate sentence for a psychopathic sexual killer like Nilsen, the manner in which that tariff was imposed was somewhat disquieting (I.e. at the behest of an elected official rather than the judiciary) and iirc Nilsen was part of a class action suit against the UK taken by a number of whole-life tariff prisoners in protest of this policy.

Sheeple_Waker

Nilsen and his ilk are anomalies though, the majority of murderers kill victims who are known to them and are extremely unlikely to re-offend post release. This animal deserved to die behind bars and would have remained a threat to the public if released. The circumstances of his offending were absolutely ghastly and he admitted at sentencing that he killed for the enjoyment of it.

GDPR

Actually you’re both correct on this one, he originally received a life sentence with a 25 year tariff but the Home Secretary imposed a whole life tariff on him in 1993. While this was undoubtedly the appropriate sentence for a psychopathic sexual killer like Nilsen, the manner in which that tariff was imposed was somewhat disquieting (I.e. at the behest of an elected official rather than the judiciary) and iirc Nilsen was part of a class action suit against the UK taken by a number of whole-life tariff prisoners in protest of this policy.
Oh thank you teacher.

devoutcapitalist

A serial killer like Nilsen deserved to have been executed but unfortunately the death penalty was not an option.

Cruimh

A serial killer like Nilsen deserved to have been executed but unfortunately the death penalty was not an option.
Close call - was he sick or just bad? By coincidence earlier yesterday I watched the first part of an interview given by Dahmer - really chilling stuff covering his early crimes and before he went beyond murder. I'll not watch part II. But while he was diagnosed as psychotic etc he was classed as legally sane and as with Nilsen was sent to Prison rather than a Psychiatric hospital. Again - mad or bad?

Spirit Of Newgrange

was Hannibal Lector based on this fella ? cooking and eating people.

Sheeple_Waker

Close call - was he sick or just bad? By coincidence earlier yesterday I watched the first part of an interview given by Dahmer - really chilling stuff covering his early crimes and before he went beyond murder. I'll not watch part II. But while he was diagnosed as psychotic etc he was classed as legally sane and as with Nilsen was sent to Prison rather than a Psychiatric hospital. Again - mad or bad?
Whatever about Dahmer, Nilsen was plain bad. He didn’t challenge the Crown case on grounds of diminished responsibility or insanity, and admitted to pursuing his activities on the basis of enjoyment. Nor can I recall him expressing remorse or regret for his crimes. I disagree with the death penalty on grounds of principle but if it were ever to be applied Nilsen is about as close to a textbook case for application as you’ll ever find.

shutuplaura

Only really learned about this man recently because his crimes were before my time. Interesting in a gruesome way. I find true crime stories are like that though.

I don't think a capital sentence would gave been appropriate. Not because I have any sympathy for him. I would be mainly concerned about mistakes being madevand innocent people sentenced to death.
He spent almost forty years behind bars and died in prison. That is IMO punishment enough.

Niall996

Nilsen and his ilk are anomalies though, the majority of murderers kill victims who are known to them and are extremely unlikely to re-offend post release. This animal deserved to die behind bars and would have remained a threat to the public if released. The circumstances of his offending were absolutely ghastly and he admitted at sentencing that he killed for the enjoyment of it.

Provision of security to citizens is only one of the reasons criminals are sent to prison. Rehabilitation is another. And there is also the punishment aspect. For the last element, punishment, how do you decide on the appropriate punishment for someone who makes the choice to end the life of another (excluding military choices). To most I would think, a complete lifetime in jail is the appropriate punishment for murder, regardless of rehabilitation or preventative aspects.

RasherHash

We have to realise the breadth of what psychologists regard as 'normal' behaviour. People ordinarily regarded as 'nuts' can by psychological interpretation be regarded as sane.

Even the concept of 'sanity' is seen as a legal framework rather than as being of the psychological sphere.

So in one interpretation Neilson could be regarded as 'normal', for example he has found a way to deal with life and his issues by commiting these acts, after all you don't have to be mad to kill someone, I.e. soldiers, surprised thieves, rapists trying to cover their tracks etc.

Spirit Of Newgrange

you don't have to be mad to kill someone, I.e. soldiers, surprised thieves, rapists trying to cover their tracks etc.
religion is organised mental illness.

New Threads

Most Replies