• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Denying Irish is a human rights issue: Higgins

Iphonista

On this issue, I totally agree with President Higgins. Our native language is our most distinctive cultural marker. We should be facilitating every desire to speak it rather than cribbing about the money spent on it. If it was any other minority,there'd be outrage at the attitudes expressed about Irish and Irish speakers.

Am I kicking at a closed door here? Look at the attitude towards the language shown by mods here on Politics.ie!

Irish denial a human rights issue, says Higgins - RTÉ News

johnny365

We have it forced on us in Schools they spend endless monies on having state publications printed in Irish, road signs etc how is it being denied? It seems limousine liberal Higgins is running out of human rights abuses to moan about so he makes up a few more.

Fr. Hank Tree

On this issue, I totally agree with President Higgins. Our native language is our most distinctive cultural marker. We should be facilitating every desire to speak it rather than cribbing about the money spent on it. If it was any other minority,there'd be outrage at the attitudes expressed about Irish and Irish speakers.

Am I kicking at a closed door here? Look at the attitude towards the language shown by mods here on Politics.ie!

Irish denial a human rights issue, says Higgins - RTÉ News
Interesting that he said that to "discourage" people from speaking Irish was a denial of their human rights. This should not only include people who do speak Irish but also Irish people who do not because of same discouragement.

R

Ramps

Denying someone the right to speak whatever language he wishes to speak would, indeed, be something to worry about.

Thankfully, we don't have that problem in this country.

I'd prefer if our Prez stood up for the human right to free speech.

mr. jings

I've absolutely no idea what this is about. What discouraging exactly? By whom? And how?

tigerben

The exemption's giving out to pupils for Irish is after been tighten up and harder to get. These were giving out like candy a few years back. The way Irish is been taught as well has improved and my daughter whose 14 is a dinger in Irish according to her teacher and school reports , which seen as I'd need help in the Irish homework for my 8 year old is great. It would help if shops ( bigger supermarkets) would have the Irish name of the product next to the English word. This would help younger children and adults like me learn as we go doing the weekly shop.

drummed

Total and complete waste of money:mad:

slippy wicket

What is Darby o'gill blathering on about now.
There is more than enough money spent indulging the Irish language fascists.
Cutbacks should be the order of the day.

Ryan Tubbs

Is there anything that ISN'T a human rights issue according to this demented little troll?

mahrud

A nation's "native " language - with 99% of that nation not being native speakers !

DuineEile

Already spending over a Billion a year - how much would you like to see spent on it?
I'd like to see less spent on token measures designed to make us look different, so the politicians can feel they are representatives of a sovereign nation; and more spent on practical measures that actually facilitate the speaking of the language.

As per this thread

http://www.politics.ie/forum/culture-community/144548-bit-creativity-irish-can-become-used-community-again.html

D

R

Ramps

The exemption's giving out to pupils for Irish is after been tighten up and harder to get. These were giving out like candy a few years back. The way Irish is been taught as well has improved and my daughter whose 14 is a dinger in Irish according to her teacher and school reports , which seen as I'd need help in the Irish homework for my 8 year old is great. It would help if shops ( bigger supermarkets) would have the Irish name of the product next to the English word. This would help younger children and adults like me learn as we go doing the weekly shop.
They could do that, or you could just master the language by going to classes, practising with those who have tha same interest, listening to RnaG etc.

You'll be fluent in no time.

DuineEile

A nation's "native " language - with 99% of that nation not being native speakers !
Maybe you should fukk off back to Durham.

No language is truly native, but as a language that has been around about a thousand years longer than English, it deserves better than your mockery.

D