Department of Education inspectors should rank schools for creativity of education

Patslatt1

The Department does a lot of reporting on various topics as shown on its website Inspection Reports and Publications
Unlike England's inspectors who are very intrusive and bury teachers in reporting red tape according to teachers and their trade union, Ireland's inspectors seem to be very light touch. A secondary school teacher acquaintance told me they have no power. Given empirical evidence of performance in PISA tests from the autonomous secondary schools of Finland, the top performing Western country in the tests,there is a strong case for school autonomy with little outside interference

However, the autonomous Irish school system has not been performing well in PISA rankings for the percentage of top performing students. Ireland's percentage in 2018 was a mediocre 15.4% compared to other English speaking countries, with Canada at 24.1%, New Zealand 20.2%, UK 19.4%, Australia 18.9% and USA 17.1%. The 56% gap of 8.7 percentage points with Canada is extremely large.

Could the Department of Education inspectors help schools improve their PISA performance? The Irish school system's emphasis on Leaving Cert exam success neglects creative education such as research, term papers and reports. Possibly, inspectors might persuade schools to emphasise creativity more through inspector rankings for creativity. Parents should be able to use those rankings in choosing a school.

McTell

Twitter
No
It depends if we're aiming for Popper's "Open Society" or remain a tribalist culture.

Tribalism informs a lot of what we used to take up as religion or heritage at school. Most of us can accept these, with all faults, and decide to move on, because they mustn't steer us into our futures.

Do our schools give kids the critical skills to make these choices? No, we all come to them by trial and error. We are invited to believe the hogwash as gospel along with 2+2.

A Voice

Could the Department of Education inspectors help schools improve their PISA performance? The Irish school system's emphasis on Leaving Cert exam success neglects creative education such as research, term papers and reports. Possibly, inspectors might persuade schools to emphasise creativity more through inspector rankings for creativity. Parents should be able to use those rankings in choosing a school.
What's creative about them? Creativity is the antithesis of research and reporting. Like creative accounting.
Also, ripe for plagiarism and helicopter parenting.
Terrible idea. Back of the class with you!

Patslatt1

What's creative about them? Creativity is the antithesis of research and reporting. Like creative accounting.
Also, ripe for plagiarism and helicopter parenting.
Terrible idea. Back of the class with you!
If creative activities such as research, term papers and reports didn't qualify for LC exam points, cheating would largely be pointless. Students would engage in those activities out of interest. The somewhat distorting influence of rote memorisation for the Leaving cert on their education would be modified by creative acticities.

Patslatt1

It depends if we're aiming for Popper's "Open Society" or remain a tribalist culture.

Tribalism informs a lot of what we used to take up as religion or heritage at school. Most of us can accept these, with all faults, and decide to move on, because they mustn't steer us into our futures.

Do our schools give kids the critical skills to make these choices? No, we all come to them by trial and error. We are invited to believe the hogwash as gospel along with 2+2.

Plato's Republic didn't advocate the political organisations and movements described in the link, although his concept of the all knowing philosopher King could be used to support extreme authoritarian government. When I suggested in a university essay that the concept could support fascism,the university lecturer who likely was far better informed than me voiced his disagreement in the classroom in an argument that went over my head. Plato did a great service to humanity in his description of Socrates' technique of questioning,known as the Socratic method in education, one of the best methods of education and rational reasoning ever devised.

toughbutfair

If creative activities such as research, term papers and reports didn't qualify for LC exam points, cheating would largely be pointless. Students would engage in those activities out of interest. The somewhat distorting influence of rote memorisation for the Leaving cert on their education would be modified by creative acticities.
Can people stop the lie that the leaving cert is rote memorization? I can still do my leaving cert maths decades later , the reason? I understood it. Differentiation and integration are very logical. Some students are smart enough to understand it and therefore get an A without rote learning.

Patslatt1

Can people stop the lie that the leaving cert is rote memorization? I can still do my leaving cert maths decades later , the reason? I understood it. Differentiation and integration are very logical. Some students are smart enough to understand it and therefore get an A without rote learning.
Maths is linear logic, so learning maths isn't the same as learning other subjects.Following the logic of theorems enables the student to memorise maths as opposed to trying to memorise text describing theorems. A teacher in Brazil reported that his students were doing the latter, evidence of the country's poor education system.
The LC may give a false impression that exam success depends largely on rote learning and students may be influenced by that. If so, the Department of Education should communicate clearly that it isn't. That said,a certain amount of memorisation is necessary,especially in foreign languages.

Last edited:

Half Nelson

School inspectors are more like educational consultants. They try to work in collaboration with the school for the benefit of all, although occasionally one might have to be reined in by the dept.
But if a school principal tells them to take a hike then there's nothing they can do except walk away, which is exactly what any sensible inspector will do.
Their reports are published but few outside of the school staff pay any heed to them.

I hasten to add that I have no inside track and this is what I've learned over time.

Armchair Activist

creativity could be stuffiing crayons up your nose.. whats needed is philoosophy and critical thought. Teach people to think for themselves instead of regurgitating information easily found online. We should be pursuing wisdom and life long learning.

Patslatt1

School inspectors are more like educational consultants. They try to work in collaboration with the school for the benefit of all, although occasionally one might have to be reined in by the dept.
But if a school principal tells them to take a hike then there's nothing they can do except walk away, which is exactly what any sensible inspector will do.
Their reports are published but few outside of the school staff pay any heed to them.

I hasten to add that I have no inside track and this is what I've learned over time.
The Dpartment of Education should mail copies of school reports to parents or write to them with the website address for their school report.If told to take a hike, the inspector can report that in the report on the school. The school principal should fear that.

Patslatt1

creativity could be stuffiing crayons up your nose.. whats needed is philoosophy and critical thought. Teach people to think for themselves instead of regurgitating information easily found online. We should be pursuing wisdom and life long learning.
The French learn philosophy but while it helps critical thinking and debating, it isn't necessarily any more creative than attempting a simple somewhat original research project in a subject of interest, playing a leading part in a school play, active participation in a debating society etc

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies