• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Department of Environment - RIP 2016

ger12

FG under Enda Kenny have simply dropped The Department of Environment.

The old Minister, Alan Kelly, has been commenting on the move, fair comment imo, with three new rejigged departments replacing the old Environment Department (I wonder how much all that re-branding will set me back).

If anyone is wondering who's going to be looking after Irish Water, Minister Simon Coveney will be the minister responsible for it, with the utility now falling under Housing, Planning and Local Government.

Communications, Climate Change and Natural Resources, will be under Minister Denis Naughten and Regional Development, Rural Affairs, Arts and the Gaeltacht, under Minister Heather Humphreys.

Reform or the most cynical of political moves?

The Department of Environment is gone - so where does Irish Water go now?

storybud1

Not sure about the housing and planning portfolio being given to Sud's mate Coveney ?

Are we expecting tens of thousands of new arrivals into free houses for life ?

Are we letting an eejit like Coveney control such a large part of our social infrastructure ?

I expect very little from this guy (except my house price going down) and can feel Goldman Sachs all over him. Politicians are just dodgy sales people, they actually have no ideas or initiative, just tax payer funded spin doctors and highly paid advisers.

It could be worse though, we could have Paul Murphy as minister for finance and Jarri Adams as minister for replacement knees ?

just a thought, we should have junior ministers for what ever ,

Minister for Drinking

Minister for Deportations and how 3rd world dole tourists are driving Mercs from free houses and doing better than the workers next door. (that government jet is under used)

Minister for Gays and media (same thing really)

Minister for Denis O Brien (it would probably upset the lads in the courts though ?)

Minister for Tax (they currently call it Finance but in all reality they just Tax us )

Minister for parole (the fooking cause of 90% of our crime is career crims back on the streets)

If you have any other "interesting, realistic ministries ", I would be glad to hear about them

venusian

Phil Hogan's little owned kok$uker, class traitor Alan Kelly, made such of a mess of the Dept of Environment and tainting it forever with FG's/"labour" crony stuffed superquango "Irish Water" it had to be eradicated! Along with Alan Kelly's minister ship! :)

Orbit v2

Don't know whether it's a good idea, but I'd like to know was the idea considered and debated for a period of time, or was it cooked up on the back of an envelope in the Dail yesterday around lunchtime..:shock:

D

Deleted member 34656

It's an interesting move. While Irish water may be in coveneys portfolio, it won't get far without support from the other two ministries.

Who got Roads?

Boy M5

Is it being recycled?

blokesbloke

Phil Hogan's little owned kok$uker, class traitor Alan Kelly, made such of a mess of the Dept of Environment and tainting it forever with FG's/"labour" crony stuffed superquango "Irish Water" it had to be eradicated! Along with Alan Kelly's minister ship! :)
They give ministers their own ships now?!

Why did his have to be eradicated? Could it not have been sold or given to another minister?

Honestly the waste of taxpayers money is getting out of control.

johnnypockets

Coveney being put in charge of Irish water. Looks like kenny is nullifying any threat he may pose to his leadership. Looks like Leo is the chosen one?

ger12

Coveney being put in charge of Irish water. Looks like kenny is nullifying any threat he may pose to his leadership. Looks like Leo is the chosen one?
Demoted Leo? Nah, seems he's nodding to the lady.

GDPR

It's an interesting move with essentially Coveney the Minister for County Councils whose main area of responsibility are housing and planning. It has been commented that much of the reason some areas are not being developed is that there is inadequate water and sewer facilities so it makes sense that IW or whatever is to become of it, tied to housing and planning. I don't think it's either reform or a cynical political move, departments are re-organised from time to time anyway. It's more a recognition of the political importance of housing and planning and I welcome someone like Coveney, as a political big hitter being given the portfolio. Planners have been calling for legislation around planning to be reviewed as much of is currently is very unwieldy and in parts, poorly written. Do you think Ger that Coveney is the best man to carry on Gormley's good work, and to try and rectify the damage done by Hogan in particular around local government, Kelly to some extent also? I would echo what Eamon Ryan mentioned in the Dail last night, devolve power from the Dail to regional and local level. For me, the first priority is to get the Planning Regulator up and running, preferably with more degree of independence from the Minister, ala Bord Pleanala.

Voluntary

It's an interesting move with essentially Coveney the Minister for County Councils whose main area of responsibility are housing and planning.
Hopefully he wasn't sitting on his arse for the last 2 months or so but now have plans ready to kick off immediately.
I'd like to finally see some proper action on housing.

GDPR

Hopefully he wasn't sitting on his arse for the last 2 months or so but now have plans ready to kick off immediately.
I'd like to finally see some proper action on housing.
There is legislation etc in the pipe work from the last Dail. Hopefully Coveney will hit the ground running and bring the necessary political will to deal with this self inflicted problem.

Voluntary

There is legislation etc in the pipe work from the last Dail. Hopefully Coveney will hit the ground running and bring the necessary political will to deal with this self inflicted problem.
Do you know any examples?

GDPR

Do you know any examples?
Report on review of Bord Pleanala awaiting action. Much of it is administrative and improving internally including timelines, but will also required legislation.

Edit: taken from earlier thread: 'establishment of an office of the planning regulator as recommended by the Mahon tribunal; the commencement of the preparation of a new national planning framework as a successor to the National Spatial Strategy 2002; the introduction of e-planning relating to online planning applications and appeals and certain other streamlining measures relating to the planning system'

http://www.politics.ie/forum/environment/233560-proposed-amendments-planning-laws.html

Last edited:

octo

Anyone know where Met Eireann are headed? Climate Change under Denis Naughten?

Killerbank

Watching that smug Green Party git Eamonn Ryan's increasingly hysterical outpourings in the Dail yesterday, I am somehow pleased that they are abolishing the Department of the Environment - if only because it will annoy said smug Green git!

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies