• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Depressing insight into contemporary Ireland

Clanrickard

Levellers

Whilst they are not the full schilling there has to be a deterrent emphasis to this case.

Aindriu

It proves for me that relatives should never have to care for their own elderly relatives. They simply are not well enough equipped to do so.

Seanie Lemass

Whilst they are not the full schilling there has to be a deterrent emphasis to this case.
240 hours community service!

Fair enough, its seems to have been a squalid life, but people are still responsible for their actions. All of those concerned made choices that landed them where they were.

Clanrickard

Okay, it's a joyous insight into contemporary Ireland :roll:
It is not an "insight" at all. It is two slack jawed yokels who were not mentally equipped to look after an aged relative. That is all. I fail to see what can be achieved by locking them up at great expense to the state.

Clanrickard

I wonder does Billy have Irish relations?

Aindriu

It worked fine in Ireland for hundreds of years , it still works very well in many so called third world countrys where we could learn a hell of a lot about respect and caring for older family members .
Our economy simply does not allow for it any more. The vast majority of families need both partners out working to produce enough income to survive and have some kind of a life. There are virtually no government incentives to care for an elderly and/or sick relative and women have just as much right to have a career with progression as men. It is 2012, not 1912.

ManUnited

Our economy simply does not allow for it any more. The vast majority of families need both partners out working to produce enough income to survive and have some kind of a life. There are virtually no government incentives to care for an elderly and/or sick relative and women have just as much right to have a career with progression as men. It is 2012, not 1912.
It's a cultural thing. In NZ, for example, you will not find many Maori in old people's homes. They respect their elders, even in 2013.

eoghanacht

It proves for me that relatives should never have to care for their own elderly relatives. They simply are not well enough equipped to do so.

I love when people use extreme cases and hold them up as examples of the norm.

seanmoylantd

Well ,what would you expect? The mother left her husband for her his brother ,who threw her out when she got sick.
What goes around comes around.

Seanie Lemass

Well ,what would you expect? The mother left her husband for her his brother ,who threw her out when she got sick.
What goes around comes around.

There are lots of people living like that. Dogs have more of a moral and social sense.

daveL

dizillusioned

Sorry Aindriu, I completely disagree with that statement. My father paralysed is better cared for at home that ANY professional can do in hospital, due to the fact that we as a family work damned hard and care more than anyone about him. This is evidenced by 15 years at home no bed sores and not a mark on his body. 3 weeks in hospital no food and 5 bedsores later, we brought him home to be cared for properly.

Not all people are equipped to care for elderly relatives, that is why we are supposed to have community nurses (very thin on the ground), social workers (practically non-existant) and other professionals looking after elderly vunerable people. In this case, looking at the family history, they seem not to be the brightest pennies in the pack. There is still assistance out there, if you cannot cope. I know that cutbacks mean that this is more and more difficult to find, but it is still there.

skiii

It's a cultural thing. In NZ, for example, you will not find many Maori in old people's homes. They respect their elders, even in 2013.
What is Maori life expectancy compared to that of the sundry invaders?

Aindriu

Sorry Aindriu, I completely disagree with that statement. My father paralysed is better cared for at home that ANY professional can do in hospital, due to the fact that we as a family work damned hard and care more than anyone about him. This is evidenced by 15 years at home no bed sores and not a mark on his body. 3 weeks in hospital no food and 5 bedsores later, we brought him home to be cared for properly.

Not all people are equipped to care for elderly relatives, that is why we are supposed to have community nurses (very thin on the ground), social workers (practically non-existant) and other professionals looking after elderly vunerable people. In this case, looking at the family history, they seem not to be the brightest pennies in the pack. There is still assistance out there, if you cannot cope. I know that cutbacks mean that this is more and more difficult to find, but it is still there.
It is brilliant that you have cared for your father so admirably. However, you cannot take your one example as a carte blanche acceptance that all can do so. In the main, I strongly believe that professional care is the right way to go.