Depression

fluffykontbiscuits

Just been noticing more and more people are now being gripped by it . A very good friend of mine broke up with his girlfriend as he cant deal with her depression, another good friend of mine told me he is battling it and it already caused me to break up with one relationship with someone I loved. What can we do? Some advice from aware.ie

Tips for supporting a loved one | How we can help | Aware

Goodbody

Talk about it to someone. Irish people internalize feelings of failure. I was flamed on this site last week when I suggested that the murder-suicides were related to the recession.

Congalltee

I'm no expert, but I understood that Depression is caused by an imbalance in the brain (ie internal factors) as opposed things like recessions, political situation, income. The Recession may cause a more outward expression of the symptoms but the underlying problem remains.

fluffykontbiscuits

They are, seratonin levels are linked to it. Perhaps all the dark weather and the recession et al are contributing factors.

It's awful fluffy. Christmas in 5 weeks, the shops all bursting with Christmas stuff, the children all excited. Johnny has done his last list (so he says) for what he wants from me. All Ben 10 Ultimate Stuff and the latest Toy Story Film. The panic set in, instead of the pleasure such a time usually gives me. I went to my GP and asked him for a letter for the Credit Union saying that in his opinion my health is not a worry. I tell you fluffy, the mortification I had, the embarrassment, pleading with the GP then the Credit Union for a loan to cover not only my Christmas expenses but my daughter's. I managed it TG and the relief, but the pay-back is a great worry, but will have to be dealt with. All I have to advise anyone is just take each day as it comes. Easy to say, but worry will make not a whit of difference. I'm scared stiff. All my savings gone because of a health disaster, and my grandsons don't have anything to inherit from me. I always kept savings for college fees for them. I feel a total failure. But I did my best. That's all we can do. The only thing I have to keep me going for now really is my fury at what has been done to us.

farnaby

As a society we've given up stable communities and belief in divine justice and a blissful afterlife for an economically insecure, socially atomised, status-obsessed materialistic, ethically empty existence that ends with death. Can't do much about the metaphysics, but the rest are ultimately political issues and the disastrous, dishonest path we have been 'led' along will result in more depression and worse.

ItsEvolution

Yea that sucks really good tips are too eat as healthy as possible and exercise these are small things that wont cure it but will ease it

fluffykontbiscuits

It's awful fluffy. Christmas in 5 weeks, the shops all bursting with Christmas stuff, the children all excited. Johnny has done his last list (so he says) for what he wants from me. All Ben 10 Ultimate Stuff and the latest Toy Story Film. The panic set in, instead of the pleasure such a time usually gives me. I went to my GP and asked him for a letter for the Credit Union saying that in his opinion my health is not a worry. I tell you fluffy, the mortification I had, the embarrassment, pleading with the GP then the Credit Union for a loan to cover not only my Christmas expenses but my daughter's. I managed it TG and the relief, but the pay-back is a great worry, but will have to be dealt with. All I have to advise anyone is just take each day as it comes. Easy to say, but worry will make not a whit of difference. I'm scared stiff. All my savings gone because of a health disaster, and my grandsons don't have anything to inherit from me. I always kept savings for college fees for them. I feel a total failure. But I did my best. That's all we can do. The only thing I have to keep me going for now really is my fury at what has been done to us.

Take each day as it comes is a useful strategy perhaps but people need to see further down the road that there is light down the end of the tunnel. It might be worth asking DC to make a sticky thread with numbers for the Samaratins, St V De P, MABS etc so we can ensure there is help there. Laz, you are in no way a failure, you dote on those grandkids...that is the sign of a person who is anything but a failure :)

fluffykontbiscuits

As a society we've given up stable communities and belief in divine justice and a blissful afterlife for an economically insecure, socially atomised, status-obsessed materialistic, ethically empty existence that ends with death. Can't do much about the metaphysics, but the rest are ultimately political issues and the disastrous, dishonest path we have been 'led' along will result in more depression and worse.
Well I dont believe in the after life and p.ie isnt a true reflection on who I am (see my facebook page for the real me ;) ). Im a positive person, I enjoy engaging here and learning. For me happiness is found in other people whether it be reading Laz's post on her grandkids to hearing about my friends announcement of her engagement etc. We can take solace from earthly events and other people without resorting to supposed higher plains (if others believe thats admirable but I get my happiness from an earthly existence)

Roll_On

I'm a previous sufferer of clinical depression, the kind that makes it difficult to stand up. Some people, like myself, can grow out of it. I still get pretty blue though sometimes, especially this time of year.

I don't think that the recession/politics can trigger clinical depression, but it can certainly make it worse. When I had it, it was simply a feeling of complete lack of purpose as well as the lack of any positive emotions at all. Medication helps, but at the end of the day it's sheer will power and strength of character that gets you through it.

justme1

What i think with regards to the black dog is that it is a state of mind (IMO),the lad who is 3 times as big as you and wants to kick the f**k out of you for kissing his girl etc.. is nothing compared to one's mind which can either be the biggest enemy you can ever have or the best friend you have,the best thing to do IMO is to make friends with your mind as soon as you can,for me again IMO people that are getting the black dog have simply not made friends with their mind,do a deal with your mind to be mates and be strong enough to believe it,as you must remember that it's you that controls that mind.

DeputyEdo

Well I dont believe in the after life and p.ie isnt a true reflection on who I am (see my facebook page for the real me ;) ). Im a positive person, I enjoy engaging here and learning. For me happiness is found in other people whether it be reading Laz's post on her grandkids to hearing about my friends announcement of her engagement etc. We can take solace from earthly events and other people without resorting to supposed higher plains (if others believe thats admirable but I get my happiness from an earthly existence)

Now I'm not slagging you off or anything...just wondering....

You say you don't resort to "supposed higher plains" for your happiness, yet you resort to other people for it? Should you not be happy in yourself?
I think that if people need someone/something else to make the happy, then there's not much hope.

I get a bit depressed sometimes, but generally, I'd say I'm a happy enough fella (like most people)...but I don't rely on others for that happiness.....they can add to my own feelings of happiness, but I certainly would never leave or want my happiness to be in the hands of others.

fluffykontbiscuits

I'm a previous sufferer of clinical depression, the kind that makes it difficult to stand up. Some people, like myself, can grow out of it. I still get pretty blue though sometimes, especially this time of year.

I don't think that the recession/politics can trigger clinical depression, but it can certainly make it worse. When I had it, it was simply a feeling of complete lack of purpose as well as the lack of any positive emotions at all. Medication helps, but at the end of the day it's sheer will power and strength of character that gets you through it.

Was there a name on the type of depression you had Roll on? (I know its clinical depression but is there different types within that ?)

fluffykontbiscuits

What i think with regards to the black dog is that it is a state of mind (IMO),the lad who is 3 times as big as you and wants to kick the f**k out of you for kissing his girl etc.. is nothing compared to one's mind which can either be the biggest enemy you can ever have or the best friend you have,the best thing to do IMO is to make friends with your mind as soon as you can,for me again IMO people that are getting the black dog have simply not made friends with their mind,do a deal with your mind to be mates and be strong enough to believe it,as you must remember that it's you that controls that mind.
Just spotted that post, good point :)

Thanks for your kind words fluffy. It may interest you to know that my black protestant bastard is not speaking to me because I said I was watching The All Blacks doing The Haka non-stop. He told me he was going to phone my parish priest but I begged him not to. I think Farder has a crush on the lads doing the Haka himself and who could blame him. I just got a tip that a certain Traveller family have liberated some toys, and will be having the sale of the century soon from the back of a white van near you.

fluffykontbiscuits

Now I'm not slagging you off or anything...just wondering....

You say you don't resort to "supposed higher plains" for your happiness, yet you resort to other people for it? Should you not be happy in yourself?
I think that if people need someone/something else to make the happy, then there's not much hope.

I get a bit depressed sometimes, but generally, I'd say I'm a happy enough fella (like most people)...but I don't rely on others for that happiness.....they can add to my own feelings of happiness, but I certainly would never leave or want my happiness to be in the hands of others.

Im happy when Im interacting with people, Im a people person (although on here people may be thinking otherwise :lol: ) for me that is where I find my own happiness. Lets be honest everyone has an element of their being that they are not happy with dont they?I think by trying to understand what drives others I can perhaps find something about myself (maybe Im wrong!)!

My happiness wouldnt never be in the hands of others but I tend to surround myself with mostly positive people , whether it be work,friends etc. Im like yourself Edo , I wouldnt say I get depressed but I would say I get the blues!

I know it sounds contradictory but do you know what I mean?

fluffykontbiscuits

Thanks for your kind words fluffy. It may interest you to know that my black protestant bastard is not speaking to me because I said I was watching The All Blacks doing The Haka non-stop. He told me he was going to phone my parish priest but I begged him not to. I think Farder has a crush on the lads doing the Haka himself and who could blame him. I just got a tip that a certain Traveller family have liberated some toys, and will be having the sale of the century soon from the back of a white van near you.
Our beloved is not talking to you? I must have words in his ears at once ;)

Get me a DVD player Laz while yer at it ;)

Jesus Wept

Find it difficult to understand how this thread is allowed to remain in the main forum area while one I posted last night on Phases of National Grief was quickly shunted into the Off Topic section.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies