• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Dept. Of An Toaoiseach to pay 250k for website!

SKELLY

According to story.ie the Dept of an Taoiseach is to pay Terminal Four €244,741.71 for a website for
the Eu Presidency.

As someone who works in a related field this is a gross missuse of taxpayers money.

Even including security and hosting this figure is astronomical!

There are the contracts awarded by the Department of the Taoiseach as a direct result of the planning and administration of Ireland’s Presidency of the EU 2013. Costs include the website Irish Presidency of the Council of European Union, 2013, which cost €244,741.71.
Department of Taoiseach contracts in relation to EU presidency – The Story

tigerben

I wish I could get my hands on that magic money tree in Leinster House. It's so lucky they have one when needing to find funds for projects like this, and other pet projects.

Hewson

What would be a realistic quote for a contract of this type?
Depends on what they want, how many sections there are, Flash, movies etc etc.

You can spend as much as you like developing a website. I was involved in overseeing the development of one for a music group and that cost just north of €40k. But it had the bells and whistles.

This figure for Enda's vanity project is completely off the Richter.

dresden8

The public sector used to have that capability.

Then it was decided that outsourcing would be more "efficient" and "cost effective".

Ah well.

forest

I am a qualified web-designer
I would have done it for half that
When was this tendered does the HSE need a new site

newsjunkie9

According to story.ie the Dept of an Taoiseach is to pay Terminal Four €244,741.71 for a website for
the Eu Presidency.

As someone who works in a related field this is a gross missuse of taxpayers money.

Who won the tender? An Irish or European contractor?
The fee seems astronomical.
Such a website should cost €20k - tops.

SKELLY

What would be a realistic quote for a contract of this type?
This site is a magazine type site.

I dont see any e-commerce or any other complex functionality.

professional designed site from a top web agency for something like this would be 20k max.

If you where designing and building a custom built e-commerce solution you would pay more.

a designer in your local town could build something like this for 2/3k.

Saying that there are no end of opensource solutions out there. wordpress, joomla etc.

The gov.'s own PR site http://www.merrionstreet.ie/ is built on wordpress.

I dont see how this site which is essentially doing the same thing couldnt have been built on the wordpress platform.

this is just taking the piss.

forest

I assume that is a filler site at the moment
It better be if they paid 250k for that someone should be shot

According to their website the company also designed the Aerlingus and UCD site

Fractional Reserve

I dont believe that figure .If its true the person willing to had out that kind of loot should be charged with gross misuse of public funds sacked and jailed.
the Eu Presidency.

Sync

Watcher2

the Eu Presidency.

My brother, a computer programmer, many years ago told me about a guy he went to college with and kept in touch. End of the 90's the guy won a government tender to develop a website (not sure which one, its over 10 years ago). The tender paid 100K. He "outsourced" it to another guy for 5K. Nice way to earn 95K for submitting an application. But it does show how pathetic the government is at pricing jobs.

Look at the reinstatement of the lawn at Leainster House - 250K.
Tuck shop - something like 200K or 250K also.

This kinda stuff has to stop.