Dermot Aherns right to kill in Ardee

Cato

This would seem to be a little more involved than your common-or-garden burglary. Also, the 'defenders' seem to have used a handgun, which may or may not have been licensed. Not the best case to judge the equal treatment of Travelers from, I would imagine. The two 'defenders' also lied to Gardaí and seem to have fled the scene.

Tea Party Patriot

Agreed this is certainly not the best case on which to judge the new laws. There appear to be a number of factors involved other than the straightforward shooting of a burglar.

NYCKY

This article reads like a game of "cluedo". I think it was Mr Bodybuilder in the dining room with the Samurai.

TonyBird

Man shot dead after attack on Travellers - The Irish Times - Mon, Nov 01, 2010

So does the incident in Ardee, where two Travellers defending themselves
against home intruders come under Dermot Aherns right to kill.

Or does the right only apply to the middle class.
Its early yet . I think this law will prove useful to all 'classes' . Scary stuff. I've heard 'anecdotes' about people 'taunting' their neighbours/enemies/rivals to come over the fence , so they can legally be beaten to a pulp . Dermot Ahern is a dangerous imbecile .

TradCat

Its early yet . I think this law will prove useful to all 'classes' . Scary stuff. I've heard 'anecdotes' about people 'taunting' their neighbours/enemies/rivals to come over the fence , so they can legally be beaten to a pulp . Dermot Ahern is a dangerous imbecile .

You must know some classy people.

TonyBird

You must know some classy people.
I know some real people . You find the 'anecdotes' hard to believe ?
I dont .
You know you are right . We are not too 'classy ' as a 'people' .Thats why laws like this are sheer madness . Its a scumbags/vigilantes charter .

Last edited:

reknaw

This matter is sub judice, so we'll have to wait for the courts to decide who did what and if it was wrong.;)

As an elderly someone who spends a good deal of time alone in a house in rural Laois and reads a lot about attacks on people like me, I can't say I lose a lot of sleep over it when people who invade others' homes looking for trouble find more of it than they expected.:roll:

TonyBird

As an elderly someone who spends a good deal of time alone in a house in rural Laois and reads a lot about attacks on people like me, I can't say I lose a lot of sleep over it when people who invade others' homes looking for trouble find more of it than they expected.:roll:
Indeed but do you accept that such a 'provision' could be exploited by
mischevious people ?

reknaw

Indeed but do you accept that such a 'provision' could be exploited by
mischevious people ?
Of course. Every provision can be exploited by mischevious people if they are so inclined. That's why we have courts and judges and juries to determine whether an action has been reasonable in its unique circumstances.

Popular Threads

Most Replies