• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Derry Christmas 1944

Mr. Bumble

Where is Derry? Do you mean Londonderry?

Truth.ie

Much simpler times indeed. Think i was born in the wrong epoch.
Derry was much more lively before the New Bridge was built and the docks on the Strand was bustling with coal ships and huge Russian fishing boats. Russkies used to let us take as much Mackeral as we wanted.
Moving the docks to outside Derry was ill-thought out. The hustle and bustle described by the writer of the docks is just what city centres need.
A ferry service from Derry to Scotland made perfect sense in the past, with the Donegal/Derry-Scotland link.
Why on earth did it ever stop?
Good link Cruimh. Didn't see this in the paper.
A good read of Christmas past

Campion

steaming the pudding over the fire... great memories. But your man in Derry never seemed to eat the pudding!

Boy M5

Cruimh the gift that keeps giving.

Picasso Republic

I think it was largely supported by the migrant work force and as that declined it became uneconomic.
Also as roads became better and land travel became faster the longer ferry crossings hugging drivable shores died out almost everywhere. The ups and downs of Cork to Swansea being a good example. These days it seems the most successful ferry crossings are the shortest ones, with people more inclined to drive longer distances.

neveragain

Nice one Cruimh, it brought me back to the 50's in Galway, we also had the savings jar and I can smell my mother's plum puddings as they hung from the ceiling.
But waiting for my dad to arrive home from England was the longest time, would he come,did he miss the boat or train, then he would turn the corner heading for the house with his arms around my mum and the weight of the world would be released.

Hard times.

blokesbloke

I am sure I was born in the wrong era.

Still I suppose being a poof wasn't easy back then so it's all swings and roundabouts.

neveragain

I am sure I was born in the wrong era.

Still I suppose being a poof wasn't easy back then so it's all swings and roundabouts.
I know it was bloody tough for ye in the 60's BB, a gay team-mate of ours (and a good friend) was the butt of some very nasty bullying, but outwardly he never let it show.
Inwardly I'm not too sure.

shiel

Thanks Cruimh for that. It puts our present problems in perspective.

You and I have had a few disputations during the year but it was all in good spirit.

All the best for Christmas and new year.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies