• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Derry gets "Top 10 in 2013" ranking.

J

Johnny Boy

Derry fourth in 2013 Lonely Planet guide | Irish Examiner

Derry has been nominated by Lonely Planet as one of the top 10 cities in the world to visit in 2013.
It is been a long journey from the wasteland, at least physically, which I knew in the 1970's, but even then its potential was obvious. Despite the Troubles, there was still a lot happening, much of it in the Donegal hinterland, both socially and culturally during those years, all driven by the needs of Derry people, at a time when the city itself had almost expired.
Realistically the main benefit of this sort of accolade probably tends to be fairly short term, but it is nevertheless another major publicity boost, considering Lonely Planet's influence around the world.
Derry has always been my second home, so needless to say I'm pleased.

Ren84

With the right sort of investment Derry could emulate Galway and become a hub for Irish music, culture, the language and the arts. It has that nascent vibe to it already. Throw in its colourful history and you're on to a winner.

C

Castle Ray

Great to see a publicity boost and hopefully it results in increased tourism for the city as well as raised profile which can often help business.

SgtBilko

Here we go again. Northern Ireland recieves another patronising pat on the back "Well done on the stopping killing each other thing" award.

If you look at the other 9 cities on that list, Londonderry/Derry should be nowhere near it.

Let's be honest here....it a cess pit of a place.

InsideImDancing

Here we go again. Northern Ireland recieves another patronising pat on the back "Well done on the stopping killing each other thing" award.

If you look at the other 9 cities on that list, Londonderry/Derry should be nowhere near it.

Best.city.ever, well fourth, unless you're a Unionist, in which case, worst.city.ever etc.

J

Johnny Boy

With the right sort of investment Derry could emulate Galway and become a hub for Irish music, culture, the language and the arts. It has that nascent vibe to it already. Throw in its colourful history and you're on to a winner.
When I lived there, one of the remarkable aspects of the traditional music scene, was its genuine cross-community character at a time when sectarianism strife was everywhere. It was a genuine cultural pursuit and had no political baggage. Indeed I had brief fling with a couple of Protestant girls whose interest in Irish traditional music was far more intense than mine.

I hope that still lives on.

LoughFoyle

When I lived there, one of the remarkable aspects of the traditional music scene, was its genuine cross-community character at a time when sectarianism strife was everywhere. It was a genuine cultural pursuit and had no political baggage. Indeed I had brief fling with a couple of Protestant girls whose interest in Irish traditional music was far more intense than mine.

It does. The trad music scene is cross community in Derry. I know a fella from New Buildings who studied it at the tech. I assumed it was cross community everywhere?

LoughFoyle

That's great news for the town but if there is an influx of tourists where on earth are they going to stay? Derry seriously lacks hotels and at present there is only one being built and it's a Premiere Inn on the outskirts. There were a few given planning permission but there are no spades in the ground. No chance of any knew ones by the summer! Very dissapointing!

Ren84

Next year's Derry Fleadh will be brilliant. Can't think of anywhere more deserving of hosting it.

DT123

No Prague,Madrid ,Berlin,Brussels ,Rome,Paris ..........................

Load of arty nonsense.

Ren84

Great to see a publicity boost and hopefully it results in increased tourism for the city as well as raised profile which can often help business.

No Prague,Madrid ,Berlin,Brussels ,Rome,Paris ..........................

Load of arty nonsense.
One out of three unionists endorsing this is a good thing I suppose. Could have had a clean sweep of unionist negativity as usual when a nationalist area gains something positive. :roll:

between the bridges

i don't think any of us truly believe that it is the 4th best city in the world!! would it be the 4th best city on the island? but fair play to stroke city, hopefully it will attract tourists, and put the place on the map for better reasons!

InsideImDancing

i don't think any of us truly believe that it is the 4th best city in the world!! would it be the 4th best city on the island? but fair play to stroke city, hopefully it will attract tourists, and put the place on the map for better reasons!
Better.than.enniskillen.

between the bridges

Better.than.enniskillen.
actually if it wasn't for the brave citizens of the islands only island town James would have won and Billy may not have got the seacat over or put another way...bite.me.com

Ren84

actually if it wasn't for the brave citizens of the islands only island town James would have won and Billy may not have got the seacat over or put another way...bite.me.com
My bullsh!t-to-English translator is on the fritz. Again please.