Derry/Londonderry name dispute thread.

Mattarigna

Seeing how this dispute often explodes on other threads whenever the island's fourth biggest city is mentioned, I've decided to open this thread here for the purpose of providing a forum for this argument, so that it doesn't derail other threads.

BTW, I call it Derry, and I think that Lodonderry is a colonial-era name, like Queenstown for Cobh in Co. Cork or King's & Queen's counties for Co. Offaly and Co. Laois, which should have no place in the modern world. It is also a disaster for marketing the city by adding unneeded confusion for foreign tourists, and the vast majority of people in the city and on this island call it "Derry". They are as good as reasons as any to drop the first six letters in Stroke City's official name, IMO.

Evergreenfinch

I call it Londonderry, :)

Evergreenfinch

Please explain why you would oppose changing the name(assuming that you do)?
I dont oppose it. I will probably still call it Londonderry afterwards because of habit.

Dub01

I think people should call it whatever they want to call it.

I think i shall start calling it Dermot, just to be different.

belfast1981

Flags and City name disputes....

FFS no wonder this country is going to hell. I don't really care what its called. I sometimes call it Londonderry, sometimes Derry. Just whatever rolls of the tongue. I have no real care if the name was to be changed to just Derry. People will still call in Londonderry, just like now people call it Derry.

Mattarigna

FFS no wonder this country is going to hell. I don't really care what its called. I sometimes call it Londonderry, sometimes Derry. Just whatever rolls of the tongue. I have no real care if the name was to be changed to just Derry. People will still call in Londonderry, just like now people call it Derry.
Agreed. Just did not want this topic cropping up in other threads.

O'Sullivan Bere

True that...since when did legal description ever change casual or political description in Ireland.

between the bridges

Seeing how this dispute often explodes on other threads whenever the island's fourth biggest city is mentioned, I've decided to open this thread here for the purpose of providing a forum for this argument, so that it doesn't derail other threads.

BTW, I call it Derry, and I think that Lodonderry is a colonial-era name, like Queenstown for Cobh in Co. Cork or King's & Queen's counties for Co. Offaly and Co. Laois, which should have no place in the modern world. It is also a disaster for marketing the city by adding unneeded confusion for foreign tourists, and the vast majority of people in the city and on this island call it "Derry". They are as good as reasons as any to drop the first six letters in Stroke City's official name, IMO.
what make you think anyone gives a flying fuk what a teenage willie shuffler thinks...

Dame_Enda

Polls have shown 75% of the city population find the change to Derry "acceptable". Elizabeth Windsor's Privy Council has the final say, if Derry City Council petitions for a change. The SDLP and Unionists voted down a SF motion to proceed with the petition in 2010. I personally despise the "London" prefix not out of any ill will to Londoners, but because it is a colonial relic.

And yes I known there was a public consultation process and 9000+ said no and 3000+ said yes. But many of those submissions were not even by residents of the city.

Last edited:

between the bridges

Polls have shown 75% of the city population find the change to Derry "acceptable". Elizabeth Windsor's Privy Council has the final say, if Derry City Council petitions for a change. The SDLP and Unionists voted down a SF motion to proceed with the petition in 2010. I personally despise the "London" prefix not out of any ill will to Londoners, but because it is a colonial relic.

And yes I known there was a public consultation process and 9000+ said no and 3000+ said yes. But many of those submissions were not even by residents of the city.
says the dude using an ozzie tranny as a alias...

InsideImDancing

InsideImDancing

InsideImDancing

weird nite started off in what could have been described as a teen disco and ended up at a granny bash...
You're getting oul buddy.

I was at a 40th birthday party the other night, there was a massive rave across the street and I thought, naaah couldn't be @rsed..:)

between the bridges

You're getting oul buddy.

I was at a 40th birthday party the other night, there was a massive rave across the street and I thought, naaah couldn't be @rsed..:)
you auld fart, what i wouldn't give to go bouncing to sci, binman, xray and eddie wray....

IrishWelshCelt

LondonDerry doesnt exactly slip off the tongue does it?

New Threads

Most Replies