Derry/Londonderry name dispute thread.

McSlaggart

Hi di hi.

Its rebs like you who have the issue about the name.
The proper title is Londonderry, and us prods can use it without bother, yet we can also use Derry as in the Sash and Derry's walls and there is a Loyal order called the Apprentice Boys of Derry.

Why do youse get so upset about anything associated with being British yet no one bothers to renounce their British citizenship, quite strange

Dog do you call the city londonderry when talking to people?

Ardillaun

Hi di hi.

The proper title is Londonderry, and us prods can use it without bother, yet we can also use Derry as in the Sash and Derry's walls and there is a Loyal order called the Apprentice Boys of Derry.

Why do youse get so upset about anything associated with being British yet no one bothers to renounce their British citizenship, quite strange
Rebs like me...I think quite a few here would dispute that characterization. Anyway, the name of the city should be what most people call it and even if newsreaders have to read the long version the fight is over in common speech.

death or glory

Rebs like me...I think quite a few here would dispute that characterization. Anyway, the name of the city should be what most people call it and even if newsreaders have to read the long version the fight is over in common speech.
Like plenty of towns and villages in West Tyrone, there is a shortened name of the place and then the full proper title. Us prods that can use both, it is rebs who have the bother with the proper title.
The Plum, Sion, Derg, Newton, Victoria and Douglas, to name but a few examples.

death or glory

Ardillaun

Like plenty of towns and villages in West Tyrone, there is a shortened name of the place and then the full proper title. Us prods that can use both, it is rebs who have the bother with the proper title.
The Plum, Sion, Derg, Newton, Victoria and Douglas, to name but a few examples.
They are nicknames, informal diminutives. If you were giving directions to a tourist you‘d say Plumbridge or if some outsider asked where you were from you‘d say Newtownstewart.

death or glory

They are nicknames. If you we’re giving directions to a tourist you wouldn’t be talking about The Plum.
But if I was chatting to a local, I would use the Plum.
It is the same with Londonderry/derry, one is the slang term which we have no bother using and the other is the proper title which you lot don t have the manners to use.

death or glory

Let me guess......You call it Derry when conversing with fellow Prods and Londonderry when conversing with Tea Eggs, am I correct?
Was one of your previous socks Albert Einstein?

death or glory

This sponging off the English can’t go on forever , ya know .
Well you have mope'd about the British this last 800 years so that would be the benchmark.

Talk Back

Hi di hi.

Daire Calgaich is one of Ireland's oldest communities, dating back thousands of years. The earliest historical references date to the 6th century when a monastery was founded by the Irishman St Colmcille.

You foreigners didn't steal it until a thousand years later when you were "planted" there - against the will of us Irish people.

Rest assured, it was Daire before you foreigners stole it - and it will be Daire after you Unionists have withered on the vine in Ireland.

Marcella

I work among a largely unionist workforce, all of them say Londonderry with the exception of one Protestant fella, actually from Derry. He is adamant that only Protestants from outside Derry refer to Londonderry, everyone from the town say Derry, Protestant or Catholic, according to him.

death or glory

I work among a largely unionist workforce, all of them say Londonderry with the exception of one Protestant fella, actually from Derry. He is adamant that only Protestants from outside Derry refer to Londonderry, everyone from the town say Derry, Protestant or Catholic, according to him.
And I bet that the Unionist from Derry puts Londonderry on all correspondence and has no issue with Londonderry being used.

Talk Back

And I bet that the Unionist from Derry puts Londonderry on all correspondence and has no issue with Londonderry being used.
You geographically challenged Unionists trapped in Ireland have more to be worried about.

The real British in Britain are dumping you troublemakers right now - in real time.

Last edited:

Marcella

As someone with a dry sense of humour, I always smiled when Gerry Adams talked about being in Derrylondon when giving press talks outside Downing street. The look of confusion on the British journalists faces was priceless.

death or glory

As someone with a dry sense of humour, I always smiled when Gerry Adams talked about being in Derrylondon when giving press talks outside Downing street. The look of confusion on the British journalists faces was priceless.
Well I'm glad at least someone found that amusing.

As they say fools seldom differ.

Newrybhoy

No they don't.

New Threads

Most Replies