Derry/Londonderry name dispute thread.

Ireniall

Rebs like me...I think quite a few here would dispute that characterization. Anyway, the name of the city should be what most people call it and even if newsreaders have to read the long version the fight is over in common speech.
Both the city and county should be officially called Londonderry but in speech it should officially be shortened to Derry and it should be incorrect to call it as it is written. That way nobody has to use the ridiculous mouthful while keeping these super sensitive Protestants happy.

death or glory

Derry Peope say Derry. In your experiance Derry people in the city use Londonderry?
Depends if you are chatting about Londonderry people or Derry people.
Colloquially we can all use Derry but formally we use Londonderry but youse don't have the manners to do that.

death or glory

Both the city and county should be officially called Londonderry but in speech it should officially be shortened to Derry and it should be incorrect to call it as it is written. That way nobody has to use the ridiculous mouthful while keeping these super sensitive Protestants happy.
The county and city are both officially called Londonderry.
But I see you blame the prods when it is you tea eggs that has the problem with Londonderry yet you can call it Derry/Londonderry or Legenderry so it is bigotry that is your problem not the mouthful.

enuffisenuff

Colloquially we can all use Derry but formally we use Londonderry but youse don't have the manners to do that.
I go over from the south regularly to shop and I call it Derry...however I couldn't care less if the signs say Londonderry..what's more important to me is that Screwfix don't ever close down their click and collect depot....its very handy!!

death or glory

I go over from the south regularly to shop and I call it Derry...however I couldn't care less if the signs say Londonderry..what's more important to me is that Screwfix don't ever close down their click and collect depot....its very handy!!
Although it's funny how the rebs paint over the London part on signposts, it just highlights their stupidity and draws attention to the proper name.

Newrybhoy

Derry Peope say Derry. In your experiance Derry people in the city use Londonderry?
Yes.

Personally I don't give a toss. I'd blow the bridges and leave it to the south in the morning.

However I have a number of associates from the city who would have a meltdown if you said Derry.

McSlaggart

Yes.

Personally I don't give a toss. I'd blow the bridges and leave it to the south in the morning.

However I have a number of associates from the city who would have a meltdown if you said Derry.

I honestly have never met anyone from Derry who called it Londonderry when talking.

Talk Back

At the end of the day - you Unionists will call it what we Irish tell you to call it.

Right now, you losers have more to be worried about - like the border between Ireland and Britain back in the Irish Sea.

death or glory

I honestly have never met anyone from Derry who called it Londonderry when talking.
Well good for you.
I have met plenty who can call it Londonderry and Derry.

death or glory

Was the people who called it Londonderry from the city?
Sorry, didn't get there addresses
Go down any 12th August celebration around the Fountain or Irish street and you will see plenty.

death or glory

Thanks. I am surprised that you cannot tell if someone is from Derry by the way that they talk.
The people from Londonderry live outside the Bog and the Creggan, you know.

death or glory

2lazy

After the border poll Derry will have a big part to play in raising the economy in the whole north west, Donegal has suffered been cut off by the sectarian gerrymandering that formed that septic statelet out of the six.

The A5 can be finished and expanded all the way to Derry, providing a much needed fast link to the Capital

Ireniall

The county and city are both officially called Londonderry.
But I see you blame the prods when it is you tea eggs that has the problem with Londonderry yet you can call it Derry/Londonderry or Legenderry so it is bigotry that is your problem not the mouthful.
Of course I blame the Prods. They're the ones who are refusing to call it Derry despite having their choice of official name. It's just typical-you want everything your own way. Otherwise you wouldn't be jumping down my throat at my perfectly reasonable solution which preserves your security blanket while avoiding the blot on the English language that doubling the number of syllables imposes. For God's sake man up. Londonderry is for people who want to live in London not Derry. It's time yee came out from under yeer mammies skirts and flew the nest after three centuries.

blinding

When you are Stealing London’s Money , you might as well steal their Name as Well .

Stop Sponging off the English .

Newrybhoy

When you are Stealing London’s Money , you might as well steal their Name as Well .

Stop Sponging off the English .
Now that the Republic is bestest economic country in the World, could you arrange to start paying back all the money you received off the UK to pay your EU grants.

When you've done that you can start your bolloxogy again.

Mickeymac

Disagree Irene, the people who reside there refer to their City as Derry/Doire and the only people who call it by any other name are shit stirrers/sectarian bigots etc within onionism who don't even live there.

New Threads

Most Replies