Derry-Londonderry voted first U.K. city of culture

Cael

Yes it is Cael... in the real world like.

I accept that it isn't, in your mind, but in the real world, the entity of the United Kingdom, actually does exist
Why did you leave Shame Féin?

cricket

Well done to Derry , it's come on an awful lot in the last decade. Hope they make a better fist of it than Cork did.

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
Well done to it too.

Please note however, that some posters may wonder where Londonderry is.

It is what Nationalists, Republicans, and most other people refer to as "Derry"

Before we go any further, can we all agree, that some people like to call it Londonderry, some like to call it Derry, a bit like Dingle/Daingean and there is no need for us to have 30 pages of arguments about what the proper name of the city is.
+1 (and the bid was in the name od Derry-Londonderry).

centauro

How is it the first? Liverpool was city of culture in 2008. Technically Liverpool is in the UK.
Liverpool was the European city of culture....but yeah, it is in the UK, technically. ;)

dv-drummer

On the blame game on bbc they called it Legenderry I believe :p
Congrats on being the first UK city of culture Londonderry !

Cael

What difference does that make ?

It is a legal reality.. Londonderry exists. Deal with it Cael.
Im just wondering why you left, because you seem to have the same collaborator attitude that they have. No doubt, Shame Féin will pocket a good bit of money out of this latest scam.

PAD1OH

this is great for Derry.

Hopefully the local arts scene will get a decent boost

Cael

Bizarre choice.

There's Seamus Deane .... who left
Dana....
The Undertones.....

Only leaves ABOD.
No doubt its just another scam to keep the provies doing England's dirty work in Ireland. The poor old Brits dont seem to realise that the provies wouldnt dream of venturing out from under Her Majesty's skirts.

Aristodemus

What is this "City of Culture" thing anyway? I would imagine that a city of culture should run the whole gamut of culture and have an Opera or ballet company, a thriving theatre tradition etc. Does Derry? Or are we to be treated to the delights of set-dancing in the Diamond? Sounds like a scam

Cael

What is this "City of Culture" thing anyway? I would imagine that a city of culture should run the whole gamut of culture and have an Opera or ballet company, a thriving theatre tradition etc. Does Derry? Or are we to be treated to the delights of set-dancing in the Diamond? Sounds like a scam
Wasnt Dublin the European city of culture some years ago? I doubt if anyone noticed.

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
Bizarre choice.

There's Seamus Deane .... who left
Dana
The Undertones

Only leaves ABOD.
In fairness, the campaign that Derry-Londonderry ran was very strong, uniting both communities. It's not like the city will ever get any major sporting events etc. so I wouldn't begrudge them the win for a moment.

Cael

In fairness, the campaign that Derry-Londonderry ran was very strong, uniting both communities. It's not like the city will ever get any major sporting events etc. so I wouldn't begrudge them the win for a moment.
What have they actually won? Beyond having the letters U and K stamped on to their name.

Cruimh

I don't begrudge them it, just wondering as it's a bit of a cultural wasteland. If it's meant as an "urban regeneration" project then fair enough.

C

Cass

Jazz festival!

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies