Derry-Londonderry voted first U.K. city of culture

Scipio

Personally, I love Derry. Great city, great people, and a real Irish feel to it, as opposed to Belfast which is just a bland mass.

Well done.

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
Personally, I love Derry. Great city, great people, and a real Irish feel to it, as opposed to Belfast which is just a bland mass.

Well done.
I've only been to Belfast and I have to say I like the place, it's got an edge and has great shopping. Getting to (London)Derry from Limerick takes longer than getting to Istanbul, but it might be worth it for an event like this.

Lord Muck Savage

I've only been to Belfast and I have to say I like the place, it's got an edge and has great shopping. Getting to (London)Derry from Limerick takes longer than getting to Istanbul, but it might be worth it for an event like this.
Ah, another poster from Munster. How come that we Munster posters come across as the most intelligent and balanced contributors to this forum?

Cael

great people, and a real Irish feel to it,
But we're told its the "UK" city of culture. The provies and the stoops have out-done themselves in Brit arse licking this time.

Molly Maguire

Website
www.slotpb.com
A Josef Locke Festival in Derry is long overdue. He was born there.

I had some fun wth the Derry media a few years ago. Curious? Try google. :)
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dO5tjJ_pdSI]YouTube - Hear My Song - Ned Beatty (as Josef Locke)[/ame]

Scipio

But we're told its the "UK" city of culture. The provies and the stoops have out-done themselves in Brit arse licking this time.
It's legally part of the United Kingdom, and until the ballot box decides otherwise, will remain that way however much you or I might dislike it.

In any case, being the U.K. City of Culture doesn't make Derry British, but rather Irish/United Kingdomerian.

:eek:

British Citizen

Well done.
The girls are the best in NI!

And that accent........

Yummy!! :oops:

Cael

In any case, being the U.K. City of Culture doesn't make Derry British, but rather Irish/United Kingdomerian.

:eek:
Absolute Bollix.

Squire Allworthy

Before we go any further, can we all agree, that some people like to call it Londonderry, some like to call it Derry, a bit like Dingle/Daingean and there is no need for us to have 30 pages of arguments about what the proper name of the city is.

+1

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.

Good news whatever way you look at it. Might bring in a few more tourists, improve the image, help create some employment.

MauriceColgan

Website
www.irelandtoo.com
I hadn't realised Locke had served in the Irish Guards - including time in Palestine - and the RUC!
He once owned the Happenny bridge pub in Dublin circa 1963. That's where I spoke to him.

The Derry Journal and BBC Foyle were interested in my statue of Josef Locke for Derry idea in 2003.

A nice memorial, an idea pushed by Dana's uncle, was erected instead. :)

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom