• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Dessie Ellis Calls For Ireland To Stage World Cup.

cathalbrugha

Dessie Ellis has said that Ireland should consider hosting the Homeless World Cup. Such an event would mark a real commitment. It would be an initiative that would build confidence and lift the morale of homeless people everywhere. It would also be a major tourist event. And a world cup that we could win.

Ireland finished 16th in this years Homeless World Cup. Not bad considering 59 teams entered the tournament.

From late September through to this month over 700 homeless men and women, representing 59 teams, arrived in Mexico City from 55 countries around the world. The tournament has a competition for men and one for women. It ran over nine days between the 6th and 14th of October. It was won by Chile who beat Mexico 8-5. The Mexican women’s team won their competition defeating Brazil 6-2.

The competition was held on a field constructed in the Zocalo. This is the historic main plaza or square in the heart of the City. The Zocalo has been a focal point of gathering for people since the time of the Aztecs. 50,000 spectators turned up for some of the matches..

As a former participant in the Street Leagues, in it's formative stages, I think this is an excellent suggestion. Street League footie gives the players an opportunity to participate in normal everyday activies that they don't otherwise have. It encourages homeless people to help themselves. Those who participate also help dis-spell the negative stereotypes that surround homelessness in general. It keeps some people off the corner for a few hours as well as creating awareness about addiction, unemployment, alcoholism and can be a positive contributor to anti-racism as the Street Leagues teams participate in competitions like Give Racism The Red Card.

H

Henry Thomas

Ellis is a bit of an expert.

His pals blew up homes in Northern Ireland, and left people homeless.

His mates intimidated people out of their homes.

His comrades engaged in ethnic cleansing along the border.

And if he wants to give racism the red card - he could start
with the English..............

cathalbrugha

Ellis is a bit of an expert.

And if he wants to give racism the red card - he could start
with the English..............
I don't think Ellis has actually said he wants to give racism the red card. What I said was that "the Street Leagues teams participate in competitions like Give Racism The Red Card." English people have participated in the Street Leagues in Ireland as homeless people..

Dorcha

Certainly a more worthy idea than anything to do with the circus that is the millionaires' world cup.

cathalbrugha

Jarry 3 homes with the homeless team?

SF don't do irony .......
Well brains tell us what you think the homeless should do. Wait on the Communist Revolution? What have you done to raise the profile of the homeless? Nothing.

Cruimh

Well brains tell us what you think the homeless should do. Wait on the Communist Revolution? What have you done to raise the profile of the homeless? Nothing.
What has that to do with Jarry's hypocrisy and blatant use of these people ?
Any bandwagon will do for SF at the moment .....

And speaking about use - you could at least have the decency to point out that you used Jarry's blog for your OP .....

cathalbrugha

What has that to do with Jarry's hypocrisy and blatant use of these people ?
Any bandwagon will do for SF at the moment .....

And speaking about use - you could at least have the decency to point out that you used Jarry's blog for your OP .....
I'm jumping on the homeless bandwagon? I come from the Streets you muppet.. As a former participant in the Street Leagues, in it's formative stages, I think this is an excellent suggestion..So I have first hand knowledge of how valuable it is.. And you well know I ain't no Shinner..

It wasn't 'Jarry' who called for the Homeless World Cup btw, it was Dessie Ellis.. If you were able to cop on that I quoted something from 'Jarrys' blog anyone could cop on. .So as I was saying.. What have you done to raise the profile of the Homeless? Nothing?

Truth.ie

Even if Seanie 'wedding cake' Quinn had made the suggestion, it would still be a good idea.
Surely a better idea would be to make homelessness in Ireland history....before the next World cup.

kenny dalglish senior

This is a great event. Whether it's Dessie Ellis, Enda Keny or Sammy Wilson supporting it. The pettiness of some is quite predictable though.

RepublicOfLuas

Nice to see this thread has stayed on course.... :roll:

Anyway, the Homeless World Cup is a great event, and I had the pleasure of experiencing it in Melbourne a few years back. Bumped into the Irish team on the first day of the tournament and recognized one of the team members. He was a few years below me in school and he told me some sad tales like how their goalkeeper died of a heroin overdose before the world cup.
He ended up staying in Australia, applied or a working visa and got some work. Haven't heard from him since though.

There were also a group of players from the Afghanistan team that did a runner after the tournament and applied for refugee status.

Cruimh

I'm jumping on the homeless bandwagon?
Where did I say YOU were jumping - it is quite clear that I was pointing out that Jarry is a hypocrite and is the one jumping on the bandwagon......

It wasn't 'Jarry' who called for the Homeless World Cup btw, it was Dessie Ellis
Where did I say Jarry was the one who called ...... ? But Jarry used the chance for a photo-opportunity.

If you were able to cop on that I quoted something from 'Jarrys' blog anyone could cop on
That isn't how it is supposed to work. You have been round long enough to know that you should link or at least acknowledge.

Truth.ie

I'm not trying to pick a fight here, Cathal, but what are the circumstances that lead to people being homeless in Ireland.
Latin America I can understand as they have no welfare State as such.
Surely there are Hostels, rent allowance, all sorts of financial help and advice etc.
Surely one would just rent a bedsit and get the State to help with the rent?

cathalbrugha

Even if Seanie 'wedding cake' Quinn had made the suggestion, it would still be a good idea.
I wouldn't go that far but that's the general idea.. If everyone was to take that negative attitude to everything the world would stop turning.. Or to put it like this.. When the 32 CSM ran a soup run for the homeless in Cork I bet you the blokes drinking the actual soup were just happy to have the bloody soup.. I somehow doubt they were refusing the soup coz it was the dizzies handing it out..

cathalbrugha

I'm not trying to pick a fight here, Cathal, but what are the circumstances that lead to people being homeless in Ireland.
Latin America I can understand as they have no welfare State as such.
Surely there are Hostels, rent allowance, all sorts of financial help and advice etc.
Surely one would just rent a bedsit and get the State to help with the rent?
That's half the problem. If you stay in a hostel and wait to be housed you'll be waiting years, and I mean years.. If you rent God only knows where you could end up, and your no longer on the priority list.. Think about it like this-There's over 100,000 people on the housing list..