Details of the homecoming for the victorious Mayo Senior football All Ireland Champions 2017 released

tokkie

Actually, the competition is with rugby as both sports need big men, traditionally, soccer in Dublin has been a game for kids who are too small to play GAA. My point is that other than Kilmacud and Cuala, the GAA is relatively weak in the southern suburbs. Of course, the bigger population helps but don't forget most Dublin clubs have intercounty players from elsewhere playing which reduces the opportunities for young players, a bit like the PL in England though not as extreme.
There is now crossover between GAA and rugby in Dublin, on a scale that was never in place previously. Both codes are benefitting from this in so much as kids are being exposed to both.

There are more than just Kilmacud Crokes and Cuala in South Dublin. St Judes and Ballyboden St Endas are big clubs too.

shiel

They did , and with 50% of the population to pick from hardly a surprise . Time for the GAA to wake up to this and create 8 extra teams , lets see how many you will win then .
Why is it appropriate that counties with small populations set up hundreds of years ago by the colonial power should be represented by GAA teams?

Why is it appropriate that counties with large populations - Dublin City, Dun Laoghaire/Rathdown, Dublin South and Fingal - set up by recent native governments should not?

shiel

You add gloating about an area with four counties and 1.25 million population competing with counties having one fortieth of the population to gloating about the UK declaring economic war on this small democratic republic and former colony.

Pathetic.

Eoin Coir

Why is it appropriate that counties with small populations set up hundreds of years ago by the colonial power should be represented by GAA teams?

Why is it appropriate that counties with large populations - Dublin City, Dun Laoghaire/Rathdown, Dublin South and Fingal - set up by recent native governments should not?
excellent point Shiel

dundealing

Duplicate Account
It's a great achievement. But other counties have already achieved the three in a row. Dublin need to do four in a row to be legends. :)
Dublin supporters will make sure that the only people that think their team are "legends" are dubs themselves . They are a very good team chosen from an area with half the country's population and are nothing more than a reflection of the disastrous policy's of successive governments in this country . The other 31 counties need to force the GAA into making the decisions that need to be made .

hellsbells

The greatest game in the wor.... l.....d zzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZ YAWNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

tokkie

Dublin supporters will make sure that the only people that think their team are "legends" are dubs themselves . They are a very good team chosen from an area with half the country's population and are nothing more than a reflection of the disastrous policy's of successive governments in this country . The other 31 counties need to force the GAA into making the decisions that need to be made .
I'm not sure.

Between 1995 and 2011, Dublin would have had half the country's population and some years they were a laughing stock. I think we're just looking at a very, very good DUblin side at the moment.

Don't get me wrong, the funding from HQ has really helped Dublin, but I do believe things are cyclical too.

Weevil

You add gloating about an area with four counties and 1.25 million population competing with counties having one fortieth of the population to gloating about the UK declaring economic war on this small democratic republic and former colony.

Pathetic.
I once heard of a Chinese football fan, bemoaning the lack of success of his national team, say 'If only we had one decent footballer for every 100 million people'-

shiel

I once heard of a Chinese football fan, bemoaning the lack of success of his national team, say 'If only we had one decent footballer for every 100 million people'-
We are talking about an amateur sport in which teams represent their local areas and their counties.

We are not talking about a professional sport in which a Russian plutocrats money can be used to buy players for hundreds of millions.

automaticforthepeople

2011 After Stephen Cluxton scores the winning point for Dublin in an All Ireland Final in time added on Kerry players present him with the ball.

2017 As Dean Rock kicks the winning score in time added on an object that may well be a GPS tracker used to analyse players performance is thrown at him. It is unlikely that the tracker belongs to a Dublin player, so where could it possibly have come from?

James McCarthy claims something was thrown at Dean Rock as he took match-winning free - Independent.ie

ergo2

Add in the number of Soccer Clubs in Dublin and compare that to soccer clubs in Kilkenny and consider the number of Rugby and other sports clubs in Dublin.
There are soccer and rugby clubs all over the country, including Mayo.

Orbit v2

There are soccer and rugby clubs all over the country, including Mayo.
Soccer is much bigger than GAA in Dublin though at juvenile level at least. I know Mayo a bit, and soccer clubs are rare enough outside the towns afaik. Mayo is a bit like Kerry imo, with total devotion to football. I'd say there were more flags on display outside houses in Mayo than there was in Dublin leading up to the final.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies