Details of Vatican/Apostolic Visitation to Ireland Announced

corelli

Link hereunder.

The visitors have been appointed to the four Irish Archdiocese's and consist of clerics with Irish ancestry. Cardinals Murphy O'Brien (Emeritus Westminster) Sean Patrick O’Malley, (Archbishop of Boston) and Archbishops Collins (Toronto) and Prendergast (Ottawa). Additionally, Dolan (New York) has been appointed apostolic visitor to Maynooth, and others to the religious in the Orders.

Whispers in the Loggia

Last edited:

corelli

consultant

When I read the title of this thread, I thought it was going to be about Our Lady bringing some of her Apostle buddies on her next appearance in Knock!!

corelli

When I read the title of this thread, I thought it was going to be about Our Lady bringing some of her Apostle buddies on her next appearance in Knock!!
Mmmmmm LOL thats quite possible to understand from the OP I suppose. Changed a little to make clearer.

Andrew49

Twitter
AndrewSB49
Ireland's four senior Catholic churchmen have been summoned to Rome next week to prepare for a special Vatican investigation into the state of the scandal-ridden Irish church. The unprecedented probe was ordered by Pope Benedict last March in response to the shocking Murphy Report into top level cover-ups of paedophile clerics.Cardinal Sean Brady will be joined by Archbishops Diarmuid Martin of Dublin, Dermot Clifford of Cashel and Emly and Michael Neary of Tuam for high-level talks with heads of Vatican congregations. The Rome meeting will plan the terms of reference of the visitation by the cardinals and archbishops who will be accompanied by a number of priests and religious sisters who are also to probe religious orders.

Source

A statement issued last night by the Catholic Communications Office in Maynooth said the purpose of the visitation will be to offer assistance and contribute to the spiritual and moral renewal of the church in Ireland.
"It will facilitate reflection, evaluation and renewal of church life,"
So is this an 'investigation' into a criminal conspiracy by bishops/archbishops and an ex-archbishop now a cardinal or just some visitors coming to say a few prayers? What investigative skills do the members of the Apostolic Visitation group have?

Andrew49

Twitter
AndrewSB49
The Vatican has said it will be up to a year before a full report will be published on the Catholic Church in Ireland and the sex abuse scandal. Pope Benedict XVI ordered the investigation in March 2010 following the exposure of chronic clerical sex abuse and decades of cover-ups. But the Vatican's preliminary findings concluded only that follow-up investigations were necessary.

The Archbishop of Dublin, Diarmuid Martin, has criticised the Vatican's slow progress.

Diarmuid is no stranger to tardiness himself .. in May 2009 on publication of the Ryan Report - which ironically prompted the Apostolic Visitation - Diarmuid admitted that he had done nothing to intervene 40 years ago despite having more than an inkling of the abuses that were happening in Artane Industrial School

Spirit Of Newgrange

who cares ? irrelevant and nasty church. Tell you what, donate all your wealth to the poor/abused and we will begin to show you any respect at all.

ellie08

Shouldn't the Irish bishops be asking the Vatican the same questions? After all they were told to shut their mouths over abuse. The orders came from the Vatican, and our princes obeyed their orders.

PlanetZog

I'm sure they will be all very concerned about "scandal", not actually firing those involved in the cover up and facilitation of child abuse.

It's like on father ted, they will probably try to fix it with several special masses!

pointless pr exercise unless they start defrocking and firing!

Andrew49

Twitter
AndrewSB49
There MUST have been some kind of political block on the civil authorities pursuing those who covered up the abuses and facilitated the abusers. Two devastating reports - one identifies 800 individual abusers and the other report identifies bishops, archbishops and a cardinal involved in what surely was a criminal conspiracy to protect and shield abusing clergy. No Religious Orders have had their assets seized - no Indemuty Deal can allow the turning of a blind eye to criminality that includes the starvation of children, the enslavement of children, the rape and buggery of children. No Indemnity Deal can forbid a proper legal investigation into child abuse.

ellie08

The Pope criticizing the 'Irish church problem' (hmmmm) is akin to Healy-Rae's amusing comment about Joan Burton being involved in cronyism. Hypocritical!

Apartment 68

I'm sure they will be all very concerned about "scandal", not actually firing those involved in the cover up and facilitation of child abuse.

It's like on father ted, they will probably try to fix it with several special masses!

pointless pr exercise unless they start defrocking and firing!
interesting that you should mention fr ted. in my view fr ted was not so much about the church as ireland in general. imagine the three priests as politicians or businessmen and you can see the setup would work as fr ted, td ted or gombeen ted. the point i am making is that the antics of the church in ireland are more symptomatic of ireland than the church. consider the church in other countries. in france the church is associated with monarchism but this cannot be symptomatic as i see nothing of monarchism in the church in ireland.

and yes, i hope the visitation delivers up the bishops/superiors arses on a plate. the church in ireland needs to be de-hibernicised

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
interesting that you should mention fr ted. in my view fr ted was not so much about the church as ireland in general. imagine the three priests as politicians or businessmen and you can see the setup would work as fr ted, td ted or gombeen ted. the point i am making is that the antics of the church in ireland are more symptomatic of ireland than the church. consider the church in other countries. in france the church is associated with monarchism but this cannot be symptomatic as i see nothing of monarchism in the church in ireland.

and yes, i hope the visitation delivers up the bishops/superiors arses on a plate. the church in ireland needs to be de-hibernicised
The problem they are going to attempt to pin on the church in Ireland is global (whether the RCC in France is royalist or not.

Apartment 68

latest on the apostolic visitation:

RORATE CÆLI

sounds like they are wrapping things up early. like a jury out for 30 minutes, is that a good sign or a bad sign?

Last edited:

former wesleyan

latest on the apostolic visitation:

RORATE CÆLI

sounds like they are wrapping things up early. like a jury out for 30 minutes, is that a good sign or a bad sign?
The comments section's really leppin', isn't it ?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies