• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Dev and the Irish Press

Marcos the black

31 OCTOBER 2004 "FORMER President Eamon de Valera tricked the Irish and American public into investing in the Irish Press, which he rigged to make his family rich."

"New files unearthed for the first time unravel the complex web de Valera wove to con investors into believing they were putting their savings towards a public company. Instead, thousands of Irish Americans invested in a lucrative family business."

Dev tricked public into investing in Irish Press, file reveals - Independent.ie

"To this day, the only people who have ever benefited financially from the business, which was once Ireland's most successful, are de Valera's sons and grandson." "Despite the great depression, he managed to get $250,000 entrusted to them for investment in the paper."

Several posters here particularly FF'ers are very fond of discussing other parties history but not so keen to discuss their own. So, there you have it. Dev conned both Irish and American investors to control the media and make his family rich. Hasn't this culture of corruption dogged FF since it's foundation and is embedded in it's nature?

dresden8

Irish media is sh1te, controlled by the powers that be shock horror.

D

Dylan2010

for sure they were a family of crooks, it wouldnt have been tolerated in any country with a proper legal system

dresden8

If a fraud was committed in America you'd imagine it'd be a bigger deal. Or did the Irish mafia, FF, keep it locked down ?

Marcos the black

Irish media is sh1te, controlled by the powers that be shock horror.
But other media titles weren't established to support one man and his ambition funded by fraud. With only this mans family benefitting from the financial profit made by this paper!!

dresden8

But other media titles weren't established to support one man and his ambition
Maybe they weren't. But that's how they've turned out.

The media is not neutral.

It is owned by the rich and powerful, and it serves their needs.

Marcos the black

Maybe they weren't. But that's how they've turned out.

The media is not neutral.

It is owned by the rich and powerful, and it serves their needs.
I agree. But nowhere to the same extent at all.. They may influence the media somewhat, but his was direct control by a politician to promote his ideology and his own power.. And that's not even mentioning the corruption by which he conned investors to $250,000. A lot of money back then.. In the midst of the depression.

dresden8

I agree. But nowhere to the same extent at all.. They may influence the media somewhat, but his was direct control by a politician to promote his ideology and his own power.. And that's not even mentioning the corruption by which he conned investors to $250,000. A lot of money back then.. In the midst of the depression.
Oh I agree, Dev was a total and absolute cnt. But he's nothing special. And maybe that's the most depressing point of all.

cricket

How do ye think Haughey learned his tricks ?

culmore

Was Dev the first corrupt Fianna Fáil politician,
selling shares in the Irish press

Marcos the black

Oh I agree, Dev was a total and absolute cnt. But he's nothing special. And maybe that's the most depressing point of all.
It is.. Would be good to see some kind of redress by some of the family to the investors giving that a political dynasty was built out of their money.

GDPR

The "Independent" never really got over having its Blueshirt eye wiped by the Irish Press, maybe if they had really been independent in the first place there wouldn't have been any need or market for the Press at all.

" It went on to list a subscribership of 200,000 at its peak. Irish Press Ltd. was officially registered on 4 September 1928, three years before the paper was first published, to create a newspaper independent of the existing media where the Independent Newspapers group was seen as supporting Cumann na nGaedheal/Fine Gael, and The Irish Times being pro-union, and with a mainly middle class or Protestant readership. The Irish Press founder Éamon de Valera said the paper's objective was: "To give the truth in the news, that will be the chief aim of The Irish Press. The Irish Press will be a truthful journal and a good newspaper".[2] The founders planned to produce an evening and Sunday edition of the paper if the daily was successful, and they did."

dresden8

Was Dev the first corrupt Fianna Fáil politician,
selling shares in the Irish press
Dev was the first FF politician.

All else flows from that.

Scum. Every last one of the cnts.

Including everyone who knows what they are and where they came from but still chooses to attach themselves to the "brand".

Eoin Coir

even Lemass was a kept man, fond of drink and gambling. Was not off the grass that Haughey learned his tricks.

Marcos the black

The "Independent" never really got over having its Blueshirt eye wiped by the Irish Press, maybe if they had really been independent in the first place there wouldn't have been any need or market for the Press at all.

" It went on to list a subscribership of 200,000 at its peak. Irish Press Ltd. was officially registered on 4 September 1928, three years before the paper was first published, to create a newspaper independent of the existing media where the Independent Newspapers group was seen as supporting Cumann na nGaedheal/Fine Gael, and The Irish Times being pro-union, and with a mainly middle class or Protestant readership. The Irish Press founder Éamon de Valera said the paper's objective was: "To give the truth in the news, that will be the chief aim of The Irish Press. The Irish Press will be a truthful journal and a good newspaper".[2] The founders planned to produce an evening and Sunday edition of the paper if the daily was successful, and they did."
So no comment on Dev then?

GDPR

So no comment on Dev then?
Dev knew what he was doing and did what he had to do to ensure the paper continued to do what it had to do.
There was no personal enrichment involved, it was a political move to protect FF and its political aims from the establishment interests of the day, the Irish Times, unionist and Cumann na nGaedheal's Independent. No fool Dev as time would show.

Expose the lot of them

I always thought it strange that the U.S. investors did not make an effort to seek a return on their investment. The article you linked to mentioned that he put $5000 aside for such an eventuality, have you any idea if he had to repay any "difficult" investors and if so how was it covered up? Do you have any links to any unsuccessful (or successful) attempts to challenge the manner in which he hived the money, and the company off for personal gain.

Eoin Coir

A Great scandal that Dev's family continue to benefit from the Irish Press to this very day. Only that there is no Irish Press paper (apart from legal title) The same way as Haugheys family continue to benefit from his ill acquired gains.

oggy

Dev knew what he was doing and did what he had to do to ensure the paper continued to do what it had to do.
There was no personal enrichment involved, it was a political move to protect FF and its political aims from the establishment interests of the day, the Irish Times, unionist and Cumann na nGaedheal's Independent. No fool Dev as time would show.
Tonic, the Blueshirt op is like his/her fellow travellers starting threads in some silly hope of discrediting FF. Have read the letter in the op and for the life of me cannot even find a hint of corruption. I have no problem with FF people who break the law coming before the courts even if they are effing dead but you are smarter than me so would you please read that letter and tell me if I missed something. To me it just reads like a straightforward letter doing what any boss or employee should do, flog the product