Developing Story - Irish woman takes legal action on Repeal Referendum result

Maranatha

A woman who previously delayed the enactment of the Children’s Referendum by nearly three years through litigation has lodged a challenge to the abortion referendum in the High Court. This could spell serious trouble for the present government if the vote cannot be certified before the next General Election.
Woman who delayed children's referendum outcome for three years takes legal action on abortion result

Court documents filed on Friday show that Joanna Jordan is challenging the result under the 1994 Referendum Act. While Mrs. Jordan attempted to overturn the result of the 2012 referendum her case ultimately failed.

The exact grounds on which Jordan is appealing the result of the referendum are not yet known. My hope is that she will challenge the very security of the vote itself (i.e. the handling of the polling boxes between polling and counting). I've tried to discuss my concerns with the security of the vote on several threads but two of them were zoo'd without a real explanation. ( The most recent one is linked here: http://www.politics.ie/forum/zoo/264324-landslide-yes-psychological-warfare-irish-population.html )

There's no doubt that Mrs. Jordan and her legal team learned a lot from her challenge to the Children's Referendum result and will apply that experience to achieve a more favourable result in this instance.

Last edited:

GDPR

Fingers crossed, if there was large scale election fraud it will probably come out during this.

'orebel

Zoo

Maranatha

Fingers crossed, if there was large scale election fraud it will probably come out during this.
I think it is more likely that they will focus on the overwhelming bias of the Oireachtas Committee. The recommendations of the committee came directly from the equally biased Citizen's Assembly. However the Citizen's Assembly (apart from it's political bias) is unconstitutional and therefore should render the May 25th poll null and void in the eyes of the High Court. If not the High Court, certainly the Supreme Court.

mr_anderson

I think it is more likely that they will focus on the overwhelming bias of the Oireachtas Committee. The recommendations of the committee came directly from the equally biased Citizen's Assembly. However the Citizen's Assembly (apart from it's political bias) is unconstitutional and therefore should render the May 25th poll null and void in the eyes of the High Court. If not the High Court, certainly the Supreme Court.

Is there a law determining where a referendum question must emanate from ?

Wascurito

BREAKING:Sore losers lose sorely.

This will have no effect. It will take to the end of the year for the government to pass the legislation to give effect to the Irish people's overwhelming vote.

And the courts will have dismissed this petulant, nonsensical case by then.

GDPR

BREAKING:Sore losers lose sorely.

This will have no effect. It will take to the end of the year for the government to pass the legislation to give effect to the Irish people's overwhelming vote.

And the courts will have dismissed this petulant, nonsensical case by then.
Wascurito you support abortion on demand (and you really actually despite doing so probably intend to keep up the façade of you being a Gaelic Catholic, don't you my little Yeshiva boy?) in the middle of a demographic crisis will come back to haunt you- I never heard any anti-Semitic comments from indigenous Free Staters, however I have heard quite strong ones (and my definition of what anti-Semitism is, is a lot more narrowly defined than yours) from both Polish and Russian "New Irish" on several occasions. And of course any self-respecting Muslim whether "New Irish" or not is going to see Hamas much more akin to how I see them than you do.

Oh and by the way the Limerick "Pogrom" wasn't actually at all what you think it was;

https://www.theoccidentalobserver.net/2012/03/17/the-limerick-pogrom-creating-jewish-victimhood/

Sync

If she's got evidence of irregularities, they should be heard. I would say though: The act focuses on how the referendum is executed, and emphasises that we're looking at things which "affected materially" the result. So whatever she has concerns about, she'll ned to demonstrate damage to the extent that the result would have been reversed but for X happening.

But she's a spoiler who's being sponsored by "someone" given she's a housewife who got hit with a 750k bill for her last efforts on this.

Jordan said she had been in court for 39 days in total and was happy she did not have to pay the full amount for taking the challenge.

While she lost her case, she said she achieved two successes.

“We managed to delay the president from signing the Children’s Referendum into law for over two and half years and the petition forced the Referendum Act to be better defined for future outcomes.”
The second bit's a lie (the act was untouched as a result of her appeal and she lost at every stage on every argument), but the first bit is her goal. Just delay as much as possible.

Govt should push for a hearing ASAP. She's filed it now because of the 7 day deadline for challenges. Get her into court tomorrow so she can present her evidence and make her case.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies