• Before posting anything about COVID-19, READ THIS FIRST! COVID-19 and Misinformation (UPDATED)
    Misinformation and/or conspiracy theories about this topic, even if intended as humor, will not be tolerated!

Cael

Catalpa said:
Cael said:
Anyone wanting to know something more about the level of direct communication between Ireland and the continent at the start of the 17C should have a look at the diary written by Tadhg Ó Cianáin in 1607. He was part of Ó Neill's party which set out for Rome. His diary is very valuable as it gives a detailed account of the life and conditions he encountered as they travelled through Holland, Belgium, France,Germany and Italy. There is a fine edition of the diary called "Imeacht na nIarlaí," prepared by Pádraig deBarra and the late Cardinal Tomás Ó Fiaich.
Have you ever read

An Exile of Ireland - Hugh O'Neill- Prince of Ulster
by
Micheline Kerney Walsh

Very good read and a strictly non - revisionist account of one of Ireland's best Commanders.

No I havent heard of it before, but I will try to get my hands on it, thanks for the recommendation.

alonso

"If you are not firmly rooted in the past you have no foundations to build towards the future."

is this a universal rule? does it apply to all cultures?
deep south usa?
germany?
south africa?
argentina?
and of course Britain...

or are we different in Ireland. Are we alone in being unable to accept and get over our past?

I agree that we must use the lessons of our past to build a future but "firmly rooted" to me implies backwardness and stunted development

Cael

alonso said:
"If you are not firmly rooted in the past you have no foundations to build towards the future."

is this a universal rule? does it apply to all cultures?
deep south usa?
germany?
south africa?
argentina?
and of course Britain...

or are we different in Ireland. Are we alone in being unable to accept and get over our past?

I agree that we must use the lessons of our past to build a future but "firmly rooted" to me implies backwardness and stunted development
The simple answer is yes it does apply to all cultures and all individuals. Knowing where you came from and containing your past and your culture can never be considered backward or the sign of stunted development. Real stunted development is being like an empty vessal that can be filled with every faddish trend that comes along. This is operating at the level of the infant.

LabourLover

Website
www.labour.ie
Darren Mac an Phríora said:

Does anyone have any light to shed on Wellington Court? I will be rining the Heritage Officer of Dublin City Council on Monday about it if not.

Wellington Court

Looking at the photo, Wellington Court is on either Wellington Place or Wellington Street, which are off Mountjoy Street.

Colm Aherne

Ongar is the name of the stud in the area that was previously owned by the Aga Khan, so it does reflect local history. It was probably the only local history on offer around there :) . anyway despite the pretentious sound of the name, it's as valid as most and explains the ultra-arse "Ongar Chase" name... Imagine the taxi driver's face when you say "take me home to the Chase, my good man" great stuff

check it out though, looks alright
www dot manorpark dot ie slash ongar dot pdf
Hi all.
I know this is a long shot but I came across the brochure for Ongar as linked above last year and found it to be a lovely booklet for possible use in the classroom. I did not however save the document and the link is now dead.
Would anyone have happened to save the document that they could send on to me?
Tried emailing Manor Park but emails bouncing back (possibly out of business).

Many thanks for any help.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom