• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Devo Max for Northern Ireland?

Ren84

With Scotland likely to gain further powers over the next few years regardless of the independence vote what prospects are there for the Northern Ireland Executive to gain similar powers? Could there exist a possibility of NI gaining Devo Max status with the UK just responsible for defence and foreign affairs? Or more likely should Stormont have, at the least, broader tax raising and spending powers, with increased powers in other areas like internal security, broadcasting (changing BBC NI to NIBC), welfare and the coastguard?

Last edited:

DT123

With Scotland likely to gain further powers over the next few years regardless of the independence vote what prospects are there for the Northern Ireland Executive to gain similar powers? Could there exist a possibility of NI gaining Devo Max status with the US just responsible for defence and foreign affairs? Or more likely should Stormont have, at the least, broader tax raising and spending powers, with increased powers in other areas like internal security, broadcasting (changing BBC NI to NIBC), welfare and the coastguard?
What has the "US" got to do with it?

The Scots are getting no more devolved powers,that was Camerons part of the deal to allow the referendum.

Stormont have plenty of "autonomy" regarding spending,however as they need more money than they generate,the rest of your point is moot.

J

Johnny Boy

With Scotland likely to gain further powers over the next few years regardless of the independence vote what prospects are there for the Northern Ireland Executive to gain similar powers? Could there exist a possibility of NI gaining Devo Max status with the US just responsible for defence and foreign affairs? Or more likely should Stormont have, at the least, broader tax raising and spending powers, with increased powers in other areas like internal security, broadcasting (changing BBC NI to NIBC), welfare and the coastguard?
Freudian slip, Ren............
:p

InsideImDancing

With Scotland likely to gain further powers over the next few years regardless of the independence vote what prospects are there for the Northern Ireland Executive to gain similar powers? Could there exist a possibility of NI gaining Devo Max status with the UK just responsible for defence and foreign affairs? Or more likely should Stormont have, at the least, broader tax raising and spending powers, with increased powers in other areas like internal security, broadcasting (changing BBC NI to NIBC), welfare and the coastguard?
Yes to all that. :)

People who reject the power to shape their own lives are very, very, very strange indeed.

Ren84

The Scots are getting no more devolved powers,that was Camerons part of the deal to allow the referendum.

Stormont have plenty of "autonomy" regarding spending,however as they need more money than they generate,the rest of your point is moot.
Corrected.

There is an expectation on all sides of the independence debate that regardless of the vote Scotland will be granted more powers. Cameron has acknowledged this. Even pro union parties support increased powers for Scotland. I'm just curious though why wouldn't unionists not support increased powers for their province/country/entity?

InsideImDancing

50p bet on Paypal?

Ren84

Yes to all that. :)

People who reject the power to shape their own lives are very, very, very strange indeed.
The biggest demands for increased transfers of powers from Westminster to Stormont appear to be from Nationalists. I'm not sure why this would be a sectarian issue. Surely everyone in NI would appreciate greater control over their lives? :confused:

InsideImDancing

The biggest demands for increased transfers of powers from Westminster to Stormont appear to be from Nationalists. I'm not sure why this would be a sectarian issue. Surely everyone in NI would appreciate greater control over their lives? :confused:
"I don't want more powers because I'm a Unionist"
Sammy Wilson, Northern Ireland finance minister, and well known moron. :)

IrishWelshCelt

The referendum will fail but in 5 years time they'll have a devo max referendum which will inevitably lead to independence.

IrishWelshCelt

It'll be an interesting situation for unionists. Im sure nationalists would love it so they'd only need a small % of unionists to pass a devo max vote.

The likes of Sammy Wilson happily complain about budget cuts and no control over corporate tax rates so they'll look like complete and utter blatant hypocrites if they lead a no campaign against it. Devo max would offer unionist the UK link yet the power over internal affairs, surely the best of both worlds?

InsideImDancing

Who would you like to make the decisions that effect your life, softy posh lads from England, or your good self?

Unionist: Softy posh lads from England.

Nationalist: Jebus wept.

Ren84

"I don't want more powers because I'm a Unionist"
Sammy Wilson, Northern Ireland finance minister, and well known moron. :)
I could imagine him saying something like that. Even Cornwall wants more powers.

Ren84

Who would you like to make the decisions that effect your life, softy posh lads from England, or your good self?

Unionist: Softy posh lads from England.

Nationalist: Jebus wept.
I prefer the Picard ones.

Not sure which one to go for personally. :?

Just Jack

The more powers we get onto the island of Ireland, the better.

theloner

Good God DT, how about this is for a deal, let's create a front to devolve as much power as possible which will benefit all of us, as decisions that effect us all will be in our hands, not in some pen pusher's in London, then you can get to accuse SF & SDLP of implementing British rule in Ireland?

Deal?

Last edited:

DT123

Corrected.

There is an expectation on all sides of the independence debate that regardless of the vote Scotland will be granted more powers. Cameron has acknowledged this. Even pro union parties support increased powers for Scotland. I'm just curious though why wouldn't unionists not support increased powers for their province/country/entity?
Good God DT, how about this is for a deal, let's create a front to devolve as much power as possible which will benefit all of us, as decisions that effect us all will be in our hands, not in some pen pusher's in London, then you can get to accuse SF & SDLP of implementing British rule in Ireland?

Deal?
In principal,I would like nothing better than for NI to fundamentally run it's own affairs.However there are two reasons I am against the current regime,never mind increased powers.

Personally ,I want as little government interference in our day to day lives as possible.Every layer of government just increases the expense,to us the tax payer,whilst gaining us nothing.Currently we have far too many councils and far too many MLAs.Giving them more powers will simply lead to more pointless bureaucrats.

Secondly,I would be more than happy with a semi Independent NI,supported wholeheartedly by all the people,new flags,new anthem etc.However you and I know that republicans would still offer no support to the country and continually work for it's destruction,consequently anything that were to aid them in that objective should be thwarted,in my opinion.

NMunsterman

In principal,I would like nothing better than for NI to fundamentally run it's own affairs.However there are two reasons I am against the current regime,never mind increased powers.

Personally ,I want as little government interference in our day to day lives as possible.Every layer of government just increases the expense,to us the tax payer,whilst gaining us nothing.Currently we have far too many councils and far too many MLAs.Giving them more powers will simply lead to more pointless bureaucrats.

Secondly,I would be more than happy with a semi Independent NI,supported wholeheartedly by all the people,new flags,new anthem etc.However you and I know that republicans would still offer no support to the country and continually work for it's destruction,consequently anything that were to aid them in that objective should be thwarted,in my opinion.
By signing the GFA, unionists have already accepted that one Nationalist goal - the dismantling of the North - is a legitimate one - underscored by both London and Washington.

theloner

Is there any amount of realism or grasp of reality in your thinking at all? It has taken a massive and monumental effort to get to where we are. The Belfast Agreement and the SAA have set out a blueprint for future paths and visions, which allows all the people within NI (i.e. UK) to choose their destiny, to identify as they wish and work together for the betterment of all people within the framework as NI as an integral part of the UK.

The IRA is gone, many within republicanism despise SF for what they call its 'treacherous role and enthusiastic participation' in a British constitutional settlement. That's how far the Provisional movement has gone, leaving comrades behind, some even in jail as we speak, with SF's blessing. But now, you want to rewrite the whole effort and move towards an independent NI that has little or no support within NI, never mind the island as a whole? Can you understand Irish nationalist skepticism in your direction, never mind unionists who would think you are out of your mind in wanting an independent NI?