Dev's Ireland, Gay Byrne's Ireland. What next?

yosef shompeter

I hope Gaybo lands straight on Heaven's doorstep. but straight to the point. Some journo pointed out that It was Dev's Ireland when he came onto the stage of the Late Late.
There is a lot of truth in the title that it was Gay Byrne's Ireland once the Late Late show started. Myself I think this might be a bit pretentious. It was the advent of television.
I'm of an age to remember when the leaders were quite serious about making Irish the main language, when the Hierarchy had editorial control over the media -- and education and health.
But to my question. Now that Dev and Gaybo have gone through those pearly gates, Who's Ireland will it be now?
Leo's ----?
Micheál Martins ?
Mary Lou's ?
Claire Byrne's
Arlene's hardly! But she'll have a hand in it somehow.

Catahualpa

Website
irelandinhistory.blogspot.com

I hope Gaybo lands straight on Heaven's doorstep. but straight to the point. Some journo pointed out that It was Dev's Ireland when he came onto the stage of the Late Late.
There is a lot of truth in the title that it was Gay Byrne's Ireland once the Late Late show started. Myself I think this might be a bit pretentious. It was the advent of television.
I'm of an age to remember when the leaders were quite serious about making Irish the main language, when the Hierarchy had editorial control over the media -- and education and health.
But to my question. Now that Dev and Gaybo have gone through those pearly gates, Who's Ireland will it be now?
Leo's ----?
Micheál Martins ?
Mary Lou's ?
Claire Byrne's
No it wasn't - the LLS started 1961/2 IIRC

- Dev retired as Taoiseach in 1959

- Sean Lemass took over....

The LLS was reflective of Lemass's vison for a new and more prosperous Republic.

Last edited:

McTell

Twitter
No
Interesting contrast. Dev tried to bring us back 700 years, and gay brought us back to the present day.

Time travellers and all that. Macra dance anyone?

Catahualpa

Website
Interesting contrast. Dev tried to bring us back 700 years, and gay brought us back to the present day.

Time travellers and all that. Macra dance anyone?
That's just not true

- Dev was a moderniser

He gave us a new Constitution and got us an independent free state.

He also brought in social policies to help the most needy and the clearing of the tenements in Dublin

He also gave the State its 1st chief medical officer in 1944

In 1946 he got going the massive Rural Electrification Scheme
see: 5 November 1946: The start of the Rural Electrification Scheme in the Irish Free State on this day.

Of course there are things he didn't do that should have been done

- but to say he wanted Ireland to go backwards instead of forwards is just not true

OH BTW in one of his last acts as Taoiseach he gave the go ahead for TK Whitaker to open up Ireland to foreign investment and thus trigger 16 years of straight economic growth in the State...

Not a bad record methinks!

Talk Back

That's just not true

- Dev was a moderniser

He also brought in social policies to help the most needy and the clearing of the tenements in Dublin

He also gave the State its 1st chief medical officer in 1944

In 1946 he got going the massive Rural Electrification Scheme
see: 5 November 1946: The start of the Rural Electrification Scheme in the Irish Free State on this day.

Of course there are things he didn't do that should have been done

- but to say he wanted Ireland to go backwards instead of forwards is just not true

OH BTW in one of his last acts as Taoiseach he gave the go ahead for TK Whitaker to open up Ireland to foreign investment and thus trigger 16 years of straight economic growth in the State...

Not a bad record methinks!
Pssst - McTell is a Unionist troll.

McTell

Twitter
No

McTell

Twitter
No
That's just not true

- Dev was a moderniser

//

Dev was agin us joining the EEC / EU. He knew it would be the end of his ring kissing decades.

Even the constitution only got 38% of the electorate, hardly a ringing endorsement. Just another aspergers maths expert.

Everything "progressive" had been done in europe decades before. TK Whitaker even suggested "handing the keys back to the queen", the 1950s was a hames with massive emigration.

Gay, on the other hand, knew what was going down and let us know. Non-judgemental, just "this is what's going down".

Estragon

Leo's ----?
Micheál Martins ?
Mary Lou's ?
Claire Byrne's
Pantibliss's Ireland.

yosef shompeter

No it wasn't - the LLE started 1961/2 IIRC

- Dev retired as Taoiseach in 1959

- Sean Lemass took over....

The LLE was reflective of Lemass's vison for a new and more prosperous Republic.
Excuse my ignorance, What does LLE stand for?
A few things stick in my memory from back then. Gaybo's first gig at RTE was on a Quiz program called Jackpot.
Only later did he start the Late Late.
I think Gay and RTE demarked a change in Culture in Ireland. Before that it was on a march towards Gaelic Catholic Ireland... pretty much since the founding of the State of even before that. Television and Gaybo prised open the world of "the great outside"... Brought Hollywood stars on to be interviewed, took the Catholic bishops and priests to be quizzed. -- gently of course. But he presided over a cultural shift.

The next cultural shift -- shifts and they are already here:
The new media -- Zuckeberg and Twitter etc.
The fear of climate change and the preparations for it.
(If it turns out to be real then that's going to be a historic change. Deve was right! go back to the plough and horses)
Perhaps, it's that the good ladies will be running the place -- like Angela Merkel.

mangaire2

Dev was agin us joining the EEC / EU. He knew it would be the end of his ring kissing decades.

Even the constitution only got 38% of the electorate, hardly a ringing endorsement. Just another aspergers maths expert.

Everything "progressive" had been done in europe decades before. TK Whitaker even suggested "handing the keys back to the queen", the 1950s was a hames with massive emigration.

Gay, on the other hand, knew what was going down and let us know. Non-judgemental, just "this is what's going down".
FFS, get a grip man -
Dev was one of the leaders of 1916 & War of Independence, & later Taoiseach & a statesman of international renown.
Gay Byrne was a TV chat show host.

McTell

Twitter
No
FFS, get a grip man -
Dev was one of the leaders of 1916 & War of Independence, & later Taoiseach & a statesman of international renown.
Gay Byrne was a TV chat show host.

Exactly, Gay did much more good for us all with much less resources.

wombat

Google, Facebook,Twitter, Amazon?
I remember hearing on an old Radharc program - it was an RTE religious program, made by priests in the 60's? - about Irish emigrants to England. One of the catholic chaplains was talking about religious practice or the lack thereof and he remarked that Irish people want to conform, they hate being different to the majority.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Could also be something to do with the training from two invaders over centuries. The first being the catholic church which made a very biddable and quite naive population in Ireland and of course the shorter of the two invasions, by the British.

We have one of the few demographics of young voters who do take an interest in politics, do vote, and do make their voices heard. They were heavily involved in the recent civil rights referendums going the way they did despite the efforts of the dwindling band of Radharcs and their secret weapon Nurse Noel or whatever.

I've heard it said that there will never be another rebellion against any overlords as long as Irish men are warned by the militant wing of the family not to 'make a show of us' by getting into any non-conformist political frame of mind. Hopefully that ou'l Radharc style thinking is dying out too.

I definitely think is a reluctance to demonstrate which is linked back to the old colony mindset. A hangover from the past which we could do with closing off.

Catahualpa

Website
Excuse my ignorance, What does LLE stand for?
A few things stick in my memory from back then. Gaybo's first gig at RTE was on a Quiz program called Jackpot.
Only later did he start the Late Late.
I think Gay and RTE demarked a change in Culture in Ireland. Before that it was on a march towards Gaelic Catholic Ireland... pretty much since the founding of the State of even before that. Television and Gaybo prised open the world of "the great outside"... Brought Hollywood stars on to be interviewed, took the Catholic bishops and priests to be quizzed. -- gently of course. But he presided over a cultural shift.

The next cultural shift -- shifts and they are already here:
The new media -- Zuckeberg and Twitter etc.
The fear of climate change and the preparations for it.
(If it turns out to be real then that's going to be a historic change. Deve was right! go back to the plough and horses)
Perhaps, it's that the good ladies will be running the place -- like Angela Merkel.
LLE - my error! I meant LLS for Late Late Show!

Yes I can remember Gay B from an early age. Mind you here on the east coast we could pick up the BBC and UTV channels so that cultural shift was happening anyway

- but hey were bastions of conservativism themselves at first

A lot of people don't realise that the UK was a pretty stuffy place itself back in the early 60s - esp outside of the Big Cities.

If the opening of RTE on New Years night 1961 was a game changer

- I can remember my aunts talking about it the next day [must be getting old!]

- then for me the BIG ONE was the launch of Windows '95 on 24 August 1995!

I helped to launch it and was interviewed on the 1' O'clock News about what it was all about!

The computerisation of Business, Social Media and the Gaming scene from the mid 90s onwards really has changed not just Ireland but the World

Catahualpa

Website
Could also be something to do with the training from two invaders over centuries. The first being the catholic church which made a very biddable and quite naive population in Ireland and of course the shorter of the two invasions, by the British.

We have one of the few demographics of young voters who do take an interest in politics, do vote, and do make their voices heard. They were heavily involved in the recent civil rights referendums going the way they did despite the efforts of the dwindling band of Radharcs and their secret weapon Nurse Noel or whatever.

I've heard it said that there will never be another rebellion against any overlords as long as Irish men are warned by the militant wing of the family not to 'make a show of us' by getting into any non-conformist political frame of mind. Hopefully that ou'l Radharc style thinking is dying out too.

I definitely think is a reluctance to demonstrate which is linked back to the old colony mindset. A hangover from the past which we could do with closing off.
When did these invasions take place Lumps

Because I don't know of any reputable historian who claims Ireland was 'invaded' by the Catholic Church.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies