Dev's Ireland, Gay Byrne's Ireland. What next?

wombat

When did these invasions take place Lumps

Because I don't know of any reputable historian who claims Ireland was 'invaded' by the Catholic Church.
I suspect someone was in the sauce tonight?

Catahualpa

Website
irelandinhistory.blogspot.com
Could also be something to do with the training from two invaders over centuries. The first being the catholic church which made a very biddable and quite naive population in Ireland and of course the shorter of the two invasions, by the British.

We have one of the few demographics of young voters who do take an interest in politics, do vote, and do make their voices heard. They were heavily involved in the recent civil rights referendums going the way they did despite the efforts of the dwindling band of Radharcs and their secret weapon Nurse Noel or whatever.

I've heard it said that there will never be another rebellion against any overlords as long as Irish men are warned by the militant wing of the family not to 'make a show of us' by getting into any non-conformist political frame of mind. Hopefully that ou'l Radharc style thinking is dying out too.

I definitely think is a reluctance to demonstrate which is linked back to the old colony mindset. A hangover from the past which we could do with closing off.
They were heavily involved in the recent civil rights referendums

- there hasn't been any!

Radharc! - now there's a Blast from the Past

- that TV programme did huge amounts for the campaigns for Social Justice in this State

- though your probably too young to remember all that.

lastofthebohemians

Twitter
Daxxdrake
Greta Thunberg ( or, her Irish counterpart)

yosef shompeter

LLE - my error! I meant LLS for Late Late Show!

Yes I can remember Gay B from an early age. Mind you here on the east coast we could pick up the BBC and UTV channels so that cultural shift was happening anyway

- but hey were bastions of conservativism themselves at first

A lot of people don't realise that the UK was a pretty stuffy place itself back in the early 60s - esp outside of the Big Cities.

If the opening of RTE on New Years night 1961 was a game changer

- I can remember my aunts talking about it the next day [must be getting old!]

- then for me the BIG ONE was the launch of Windows '95 on 24 August 1995!

I helped to launch it and was interviewed on the 1' O'clock News about what it was all about!

The computerisation of Business, Social Media and the Gaming scene from the mid 90s onwards really has changed not just Ireland but the World
AND
Wombat
Google, Facebook,Twitter, Amazon?
I remember hearing on an old Radharc program - it was an RTE religious program, made by priests in the 60's? - about Irish emigrants to England. One of the catholic chaplains was talking about religious practice or the lack thereof and he remarked that Irish people want to conform, they hate being different to the majority

Yes, to both of you, nail on the head! It's ironic that on the Day that Gay Byrne passed on -- or the day after, RTE announces that it's in an existential fight for survival as the money is running short (The poor presenters have to get by on only €300,000 or is it €500,000 :geek: -- and the two orchestras! What's a body to do? But the two of you brushed on it above: The up & coming generation don't watch television. They don't by newspapers either. They get by on their smartphones and iphones.
Learning Computers and internet was a big breakthrough for me and I'm no spring chicken. I never quite got into the smartphone/iphone world of the millenials snowflake generation. Now that lately all this stuff is coming out about the dangers of blue light and how late evening use can upset your circadian rhythms, sleep patterns and hormonal balance I'm kind of losing my enthusiasm for joining their gang. I can see that a smartphone iphone can be very useful: Maps of the city, photographing opening times of a shop or library etc and how google maps even shows you the opening times of many of the stores. Over in Poland I've seen that the young people use their smart phones to reserve and to buy bus tickets, to pay in supermarkets -- so it's your wallet effectively. But -- big but! All those data banks have been sold by Facebook, Google etc. Sold to whom? duuuu....uuhh to reputable people? Well to whoever paid the money :devilish:. But no panic! he was only sold a copy, mind. And if he so much as dares to sell on his copy, or a copy of his copy why Mark Zuckerberg will look at him with a cross face for being bold.

yosef shompeter

Google, Facebook,Twitter, Amazon?
I remember hearing on an old Radharc program - it was an RTE religious program, made by priests in the 60's? - about Irish emigrants to England. One of the catholic chaplains was talking about religious practice or the lack thereof and he remarked that Irish people want to conform, they hate being different to the majority.
Your mention of smartphone media and Catuahalpa's mention of computer & media is interesting. They are both innovative disruptive technologies... you know disruptive in the way that they disrupt the status quo, equilibrium.
In gaybo's time Television was the innovative disruptive technology of the time. It did away with the evening visits of friends to the drawing room and their long conversations (I was still a child but I can recall it was a frequent occurrence past-time that TV did away with).
And back in the early days TV was focused. There were only three channels: RTE, BBC and UTV. Everyone was tuned in to or was focused on at least one of them. Mostly RTE because the reception was best. And there was so big deal in finding the good programs (from three channels).
Nowadays you have 150 cannels, most of the programs are shyte and you spend so much time flicking and sifting through them that mostly you miss out on the good ones.

wombat

I think one of the differences between Byrne's influence and the influence of the online systems is that while Byrne exposed people to public discussion of local subjects which were rarely discussed and then only in private or after a feed of drink in a pub, most of the online ideas originate in Hollywood and only feed the desire of people to conform with whatever's trendy. Most of the media coverage of the LLS has related to the liberal agenda whereas Byrne also questioned subjects like the north, history and Irish language, all of which were national dogma.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
I only see television from time to time and every time I do I notice how it is creeping always toward the American model. Celeb TV is a real economic winner for them as it is cameras on the wilder examples of the audience and cheap TV overall. You need a studio set and some cameras and the freaks supply the rest for those with an interest in the freakish, which is most of us demographically speaking.

wombat

I was never a fan of Byrne or the LLS so I thought the coverage of his death over the top. I was contrasting his death to that of the piper Liam O'Floinn and the relative talents of both. My opinion was that Byrne was long past his sell by date whereas O'Floinn was a top performer. A better comparison would be with Michael O'Hehir, who in his day was a brilliant radio commentator but by the time of his retirement, his talent was no longer needed as people could watch a match on TV. Maybe the media have always been like the Kardashians - famous for being famous?

McTell

Twitter
No
Michael O Hehir didn't find moving statues ridiculous, Liam didn't have a view, but gaybo was on the ball about the childish under-educated credulous mentality of too many of us.

wombat

Michael O Hehir didn't find moving statues ridiculous,
How do you know? did he tell you? the guy was a very good radio sports commentator but when TV arrived, those skills were redundant - my point being that media personalities come and go and are soon replaced.

runwiththewind

Gay Byrne's nine uncles fought for the British army
They did, after the Earl of Meath sacked them and hired Protestant lads in their stead. The Earl was a recruiting officer. Gay left that out of his story.

runwiththewind

I think one of the differences between Byrne's influence and the influence of the online systems is that while Byrne exposed people to public discussion of local subjects which were rarely discussed and then only in private or after a feed of drink in a pub, most of the online ideas originate in Hollywood and only feed the desire of people to conform with whatever's trendy. Most of the media coverage of the LLS has related to the liberal agenda whereas Byrne also questioned subjects like the north, history and Irish language, all of which were national dogma.
He never dug into the church's known paedophilia or the state's collusion. Never discussed the Laundries.

In fact, my memory of the LLS is a priest on every discussion panel.

Couldn't stand the man.

cranberry1

AND
Wombat

Yes, to both of you, nail on the head! It's ironic that on the Day that Gay Byrne passed on -- or the day after, RTE announces that it's in an existential fight for survival as the money is running short (The poor presenters have to get by on only €300,000 or is it €500,000 :geek: -- and the two orchestras! What's a body to do? But the two of you brushed on it above: The up & coming generation don't watch television. They don't by newspapers either. They get by on their smartphones and iphones.
Learning Computers and internet was a big breakthrough for me and I'm no spring chicken. I never quite got into the smartphone/iphone world of the millenials snowflake generation. Now that lately all this stuff is coming out about the dangers of blue light and how late evening use can upset your circadian rhythms, sleep patterns and hormonal balance I'm kind of losing my enthusiasm for joining their gang. I can see that a smartphone iphone can be very useful: Maps of the city, photographing opening times of a shop or library etc and how google maps even shows you the opening times of many of the stores. Over in Poland I've seen that the young people use their smart phones to reserve and to buy bus tickets, to pay in supermarkets -- so it's your wallet effectively. But -- big but! All those data banks have been sold by Facebook, Google etc. Sold to whom? duuuu....uuhh to reputable people? Well to whoever paid the money :devilish:. But no panic! he was only sold a copy, mind. And if he so much as dares to sell on his copy, or a copy of his copy why Mark Zuckerberg will look at him with a cross face for being bold.
Good post and I'm in the same boat as you when it comes modern technology , recently watched a good show on automation here in the states Frontline is the name of the show I'll try and see if it's up on youtube and find a link for you , I tell you what it was an eyeopener for whats coming they also showed what the Chinese are doing and also what they have done to basically an entire city on the Chinese border which is predominantly muslim definitely worth a watch .

stanley

I hope Gaybo lands straight on Heaven's doorstep. but straight to the point. Some journo pointed out that It was Dev's Ireland when he came onto the stage of the Late Late.
There is a lot of truth in the title that it was Gay Byrne's Ireland once the Late Late show started. Myself I think this might be a bit pretentious. It was the advent of television.
I'm of an age to remember when the leaders were quite serious about making Irish the main language, when the Hierarchy had editorial control over the media -- and education and health.
But to my question. Now that Dev and Gaybo have gone through those pearly gates, Who's Ireland will it be now?
Leo's ----?
Micheál Martins ?
Mary Lou's ?
Claire Byrne's
Arlene's hardly! But she'll have a hand in it somehow.

It really has been FF's Ireland as their kind raped and pillaged the resources and borrowing powers of the State for their own enrichment ably led by Haughey and Ahern + a myriad of other cants trying to out do each other.

yosef shompeter

Trying to be nice to FF here (Why on earth for God's sake?) It strikes me that FF were big risk takers... for a while they won. Like (* correct me on this*) I think that FG claim to have discovered the concept of attracting in Foreign Direct Investment in the last years of the John A Costello govt. But FF realized how big it was and they went for it. The civil servant Whitaker had the concept but there was some politician along with him. Who it was I just don't know. As with all risk takers who win big time, they get a sense of entitlement to the winnings and then eventually the inevitable rainy day -- call that an electrical storm with a massive downpour and extreme flash flood comes along.
FG were more intent on preserving capital -- well they are the party of the well-to-do who never settle go above 4% -- was that the Forsythe saga motto?
But then again, it was the FG or Clann na Gaeil who sank a load of money into Ardnacrusha in the 1920's. That was high risk and high tech for the time and it worked. It was the first major step in bringing a poverty stricken Ireland on the road to industrialization. So I suppose you have to judge each Admin or Taoiseach on his own merits.
Possible a theme for another thread, but I'm struck by the way history parallels itself: Dev got into power around 1930 and I'm sure by 1939 the electorate had had more than enough of him and that it was "time for a change". Then Adolf Hitler creates the conditions for Dev to continue on as the Irish state was in a real emergency during the war years. "The Emergency" is the official name for what everyone else calls World War 2.
Now we have Leo in power in Kildare street. He has done a grand job on Brexit to date, but there are many voices clamouring for relief on housing, homelessness, health, education and are aghast at the waste of the false investments., Nothing against Gays and such but I don't think that bringing in more young males from Africa and Arabia is going to alleviate the country's problems.
Having said that, I have the feeling that Brexit will go on and on and on .......................and on and on. Once the Brits have left officially, the real trade negotiations take place and it will take years. Leo Varadkar could do a "Dev" and be in power after the next election and beyond.
Dev lasted in govt uninterrupted from around 1933 to 1948 -- correct me if I'm inaccurate on the years. Leo might do something similar.
A government lost in gay abandon?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies