• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Dick Spring welcome back:

Rivergaley

The news that Dick Spring may return to politics as TD for North Kerry is welcome news indeed. He was more than just a politican, he was a statesman of real quality. Ireland and North Kerry needs a man of his calibre. Please Mr Spring your country and county needs you.

HanleyS

I read from what Dick Spring's comments that he will be canvassing on behalf of other candidates. Not that he will be running himslef.

I believe those comments were in the Sindo or today's IT.

popper

Rivergaley said:
The news that Dick Spring may return to politics as TD for North Kerry is welcome news indeed. He was more than just a politican, he was a statesman of real quality. Ireland and North Kerry needs a man of his calibre. Please Mr Spring your country and county needs you.

:lol:

Nice user name Dick.

How does he qualify for being such a great statesman? The country came to a standstill for a few days due to snow when he was left in charge while that other genius Garret was at a Star Trek convention or something.

Not to mention his fking off in a huff somewhere during the peace process rather than meet Adams. But he did have the last laugh when he pulled down the Reynold's cabinet because his chum didn't get a job.

The Malcom in the Middle of worlds's statesmen.

daithimac

Twitter
@daveyawesome
he would only be in his mid fifties so a return is not outof the question

Kerrygold

daithimac said:
:?

Yes it is. Labour have selected Terry O'Brien to run in N.Kerry.

padraig

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
Rivergaley said:
I doubt it very much, during the elections in the 80s, some Labour party members in Tralee where buying votes, because they where scared that their party leader wouldn't even be elected as a TD.

kerrynorth

Kerrygold said:
daithimac said:
:?

Yes it is. Labour have selected Terry O'Brien to run in N.Kerry.
And Pat Rabbitte spent all last Saturday canvassing with him in Tralee!

I wonder is Rivergaley's ISP address located in the offices of a certain party on Mount St., Dublin?

Looks like a Machivellian disinformation campaign to me.

stretchneil

Total nonsense - Spring appeared at a press conference with Rabitte and Terry O'Brien over the weekend, saying that he would be working to get O'Brien elected, and that he firmly believed Labour could retake a seat in Kerry North.

No chance of him returning - he earns his salary from the private sector now, and doesn't have to work very hard for it ;)

Kerrygold

stretchneil said:
Total nonsense - Spring appeared at a press conference with Rabitte and Terry O'Brien over the weekend, saying that he would be working to get O'Brien elected, and that he firmly believed Labour could retake a seat in Kerry North.

No chance of him returning - he earns his salary from the private sector now, and doesn't have to work very hard for it ;)
Still can't afford those eircom shares I bet. :wink:

popper said:
How does he qualify for being such a great statesman? The country came to a standstill for a few days due to snow when he was left in charge while that other genius Garret was at a Star Trek convention or something.
Er...that was actually Michael O'Leary :roll: , not the Springster.
And you're probably too young to remember, but it was bloody cold back in those "few days of snow"; no bloody wonder that the country was at a standstill. If Cullen had been in charge back then...brrr, too scary a prospect

daithimac

Twitter
@daveyawesome
DevtheevenOgre said:
popper said:
Er...that was actually Michael O'Leary :roll: , not the Springster.
And you're probably too young to remember, but it was bloody cold back in those "few days of snow"; no bloody wonder that the country was at a standstill. If Cullen had been in charge back then...brrr, too scary a prospect
In all honesty when the hell has cullen ever been in charge

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
OK some laziness on my part... say Labour hit government... then Spring could be bounced into the Seanad: could he then be brought into cabinet ?

Possibly to lead Labour in coalition with Biffo ?

cYp

oreiley1

NO WAY

I doubt very much that Labour could take a seat in N.Kerry. Given the votes in the constituency the same three TDs will be returned. The problem with the opinion polls is that it is forgetting that all politics is local.

Bertie Ahern is still very popular and Kenny is not. Come election day that will be the decisive factor. Wait and see.

DerekOwens

daithimac said:
In all honesty when the hell has cullen ever been in charge
That might just be the sharpest, most insightful piece of analysis I've ever seen on this site. In all seriousness.

On the actual point, i doubt spring wants the hassle or the pay cut anytime soon. From what I've heard of his comments he's endorsing, and is going to canvass for the Labour candidate. Which is decent.

daithimac

Twitter
@daveyawesome
he would make a far better labour leader than Rabbit. I'm not stating that it would come after this election but are there not a few labour members who are (even just a little bit) pineing for Dick.
also it is possable that he has mellowed with age and that ill temper which could be the only real negative point anyone could ever make of him has disaippated

qtman

daithimac said:
he would make a far better labour leader than Rabbit.
True. Given Labour's lurch to the Right over recent years, a leader who knows how to swing a golf club and wear an Argyle jumper over his shoulders would probably go down a treat.

daithimac

Twitter
@daveyawesome
ah yes! labours much vaunted substance over style strikes again

jonna

stretchneil said:

Agree comrade... Where has this story come from?

jonna