Did An Garda Síochána Criminally Conspire to Wrongfully Arrest and Falsely Imprison?

Old Mr Grouser

This topic has been part of the discussion at P.ie - Nearly 1m breath tests reported were not actually carried out ... could we have a new police force? but it's a massively important issue and the people there seem more concerned with the matter of Breathalyzer Statistics.

Garda error is being blamed after some 14,700 people were prosecuted without a fixed-charge notice first being issued.

The Garda have also disclosed that since 2006, 146,865 summonses have been wrongly issued to people who had already paid a fine as a result of the fixed charge notice. (What’s the story with those wrongful motoring convictions? - and - 'It raises serious questions of integrity' Police watchdog condemn gardaí as over 14,500 traffic convictions to be quashed over error)

An Assistant Commissioner has accepted responsibility.

The Assistant Commissioner for Road Policing has said the mistaken prosecutions for road traffic offences are his responsibility and if the Garda Commissioner asks for him to be moved from his position, he will accept that.

The statement comes after it emerged more than 14,500 people who were prosecuted for road traffic offences are to have their convictions quashed because of garda error.

About 14,700 people convicted in the courts were prosecuted without a fixed-charge notice first being issued.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2017/0323/861986-garda-road-traffic/
Now have a listen, please, to this clip from Friday's Liveline about some consequences for the victims.

You'll hear there that one woman, Patricia, was arrested in Dublin and taken to a Cork prtison. Though she only spent an hour there before being driven back to Dublin that's a clear-cut and very serious instance of False Arrest and Unlawful Imprisonment.

There's also another woman talking there about the considerable distress caused here when she went to court and was pressured into leaving here small baby unattended in a corridor. In that situation an English lawyer arguing for compensation would, I suspect, include a claim that the separation had amounted to False Imprisonment.

What I'm getting at is that if senior management at AGS were aware of that such things could be happening, and accepted that situation, then there might be arguments that their acceptance of that situation amounted to a Criminal Conspiracy.

It's an aspect of the situation that deserves serious consideration.

Last edited:

Hans Von Horn

How can anyone accept responsibility without resigning?

lostexpectation

Website
dublinstreams.blogspot.com
Now have a listen, please, to this clip from Friday's Liveline about some consequences for the victims.

You'll hear there that one woman, Patricia, was arrested in Dublin and taken to a Cork prtison. Though she only spent an hour there before being driven back to Dublin that's a clear-cut and very serious instance of False Arrest and Unlawful Imprisonment.
Patricia's story starts at 6 minutes, bit confused do you not go to court first? or at some point she never mentioned going to court.

Joe says she wasn't remanded? but she must have been only remanded.

Vega1447

This "if asked to move from my position i will accept" line is nonsense.
If the Commissioner dismisses him as head of traffic then he is dismissed.. End of.

Like saying "if convicted of murder i will serve my sentence" - you ain't got a choice...

Zapped(CAPITALISMROTS)

Twitter
daxxdrake
The poor Guards are suffering from this and making mistakes as a result....... :rolleyes:

[video=youtube;IYumekd1VMg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYumekd1VMg[/video]

OldHat

But should they be allowed to resign while an inquiry is in progress that might possibly lead to disciplinary action and even criminal charges?
Seriously?
I'll eat my old hat if any top Gardai face criminal charges.

culmore

all above the rank of Garda should be dismissed asthey are all Managers andhave make a ballsofit and replaced with a total new management team of civilians, some of whom would have to be Colicitors for the Law part of management

Half Nelson

Patricia's story starts at 6 minutes, bit confused do you not go to court first? or at some point she never mentioned going to court.

Joe says she wasn't remanded? but she must have been only remanded.
I'm guessing how this may have evolved -

She didn't receive a fixed charge notice.
She wasn't notified of her summons to court.
In her absence the judge probably imposed the maximum fine, with, say, 30 days to pay.
She wasn't notified of the fine.
After 30 days a warrant was issued for her arrest and imprisonment. At that point she got to hear about it.

imho, she wasn't remanded - she was imprisoned..... for doing 65 in a 60 zone. She may well have a criminal record.

What a fkn country!

Half Nelson

It's disturbing that 14,700 people can be wrongfully convicted without a whisper of protest.
They were picked off one at a time, with no fuss from even one solicitor.

Did any solicitor know about any of these cases?

We need to hear from The Law Society.

gleeful

Possibly a stupid question... but the gardai hardly post letters themselves. Do they outsource it?

Congalltee

If a court issues a warrant for detention in default of payment. It cannot be either a falsey arrest or imprisonment. By definition, if there is a court order it's a lawful arrest to
execute it.

EUrJokingMeRight

Ireland has a poor law and order record in fairness.

Mugabe would be a fan of how FG run things.

Old Mr Grouser

If a court issues a warrant for detention in default of payment. It cannot be either a falsey arrest or imprisonment. By definition, if there is a court order it's a lded case would have awful arrest to
execute it.
Circumstances always alter cases, and in these situations the AGS had bamboozled the courts into issuing their orders and warrants.

Those within the AGS who abused their lawful authority and contrived these situation are in very serious trouble.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
There was a time when the Gardai were at least useful as a form of visible deterrent. As a businessman who owns and runs a family owned business for many decades pointed out to me a few years back there used to be always a fair smattering of Gardai on O'Connell Street on a Saturday night. He reckon it was about eleven officers from his knowledge of the city centre.

Now he reckons you get a couple sitting in a van near the bank.

The AGS have become a revenue collection service and what with the closure of rural stations and the radio and 'area car' style policing they've lost a lot of the local intel they used to pick up from interacting with the community.

So if they are now f*cking up the revenue collection bit as an organisation and have elected to police an area by driving through it once in a while and at the same time getting applications in for expensive radio overhauls nationally then you'd have to say there is nowhere for this organisation to succeed.

They aren't winning the fight against drugs (and like other police forces never will), I don't see any success stories in terms of crime stats and if I did I'd probably wonder about the safety of the stats I was looking at.

There seem to be a crew with a 1950s mentality at the top of the organisation and a long line of hopeful successors with the same culture and mentality behind them.

The Commissioner is heavily involved in issues of her own and wasting garda resources trying to cling on when in fact she should have resigned long before now. These latest issues are another reason to add to those already in existence why she should be removed because she clearly intends to brassneck her way through any notion of accepting responsibility.

How are we ever going to end up with a better AGS when those in the junior and middle ranks see what is going on over their heads?

venusian

This topic has been part of the discussion at P.ie - Nearly 1m breath tests reported were not actually carried out ... could we have a new police force? but it's a massively important issue and the people there seem more concerned with the matter of Breathalyzer Statistics.

Garda error is being blamed after some 14,700 people were prosecuted without a fixed-charge notice first being issued.

The Garda have also disclosed that since 2006, 146,865 summonses have been wrongly issued to people who had already paid a fine as a result of the fixed charge notice. (What’s the story with those wrongful motoring convictions? - and - 'It raises serious questions of integrity' Police watchdog condemn gardaí as over 14,500 traffic convictions to be quashed over error)

An Assistant Commissioner has accepted responsibility.

There's also another woman talking there about the considerable distress caused here when she went to court and was pressured into leaving here small baby unattended in a corridor. In that situation an English lawyer arguing for compensation would, I suspect, include a claim that the separation had amounted to False Imprisonment.

What I'm getting at is that if senior management at AGS were aware of that such things could be happening, and accepted that situation, then there might be arguments that their acceptance of that situation amounted to a Criminal Conspiracy.

It's an aspect of the situation that deserves serious consideration.
Yes of course they have! Some deliberately and worse...some Gardai just doing their duty innocently but wrongly and incorrectly due to the lies and deceit of Garda management and corrupt colleagues.

But of course when you have BellEnda a supposed Taoiseach, still giving his most fulsome confidence to the Garda Commissioner despite all of the increasing continued scandals nothing will change until their is a change of government,

Just read BellEndas most fulsome confidence in the Garda management, sickening in a Democracy eh? :mad:

"I’ve already expressed confidence in the Garda Commissioner a number of times. I would like to see her statement this afternoon. I continue to have confidence in her."

venusian

Circumstances always alter cases, and in these situations the AGS had bamboozled the courts into issuing their orders and warrants.

Those within the AGS who abused their lawful authority and contrived these situation are in very serious trouble.
Are there any honest judges out there that will reject the Gardai's lies and deceit?

venusian

Ireland has a poor law and order record in fairness.

Mugabe would be a fan of how FG run things.
Well Fine Gael have and are using the Gardai as the Ton-Ton Macute for political policing and targeting anti-water protesters. At least they are being exposed to the general public now for what they are!

venusian

It's disturbing that 14,700 people can be wrongfully convicted without a whisper of protest.
They were picked off one at a time, with no fuss from even one solicitor.

Did any solicitor know about any of these cases?

We need to hear from The Law Society.
More importent we need to hear from the Judges who preferred to believe Garda lies rather than the sworn evidence of innocent members of the public!:mad:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies