• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Did FF play a blinder to have Oppostion announce that the Finances are even worse!?

loaded32

...my take on the "revelations" from the FG/Lab and SF reps who were shown the books by the Dept of Finance yesterday, was that this was another cunning move by FF -which saw the Opposition Finance spokespersons break the bad news to the nation that the Public Finances are even worse that what FF have been telling us over the past few months!

Agree?

Tomas Mor

Of course FF have played a blinder here. FG and Labour ( surprisingly) have walked straight into it with their eyes open. Worse than we thought it was, soften em up for next budget, and FF will probably have a softer one than was expected. When they ever learn ? At least SF have kept options very open.

Asparagus

...my take on the "revelations" from the FG/Lab and SF reps who were shown the books by the Dept of Finance yesterday, was that this was another cunning move by FF -which saw the Opposition Finance spokespersons break the bad news to the nation that the Public Finances are even worse that what FF have been telling us over the past few months!

Agree?
No

Sync

Future FF statement:

They're just talking down the economy to serve their own petty political needs while preventing us from moving forward.

We've clearly turned a corner, and it's disappointing that the opposition seem so steadfastly opposed to supporting the Irish people in their efforts to overcome the damage done during the 1994 government's reign.

Watcher2

Agree?
Play a blinder????? A sad, sad state of affairs when our politicians and commentary are talking like this.

Jesus wept.

G

Gimpanzee

Another, less cowering way of looking at it would be that FF have allowed the opposition to come out and say that FF have messed up to an even larger degree than they care to admit and they have FF's figures to prove it. FF have no comeback. This is utter desperation, nothing more.

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
Yes, FF did play a blinder. They have completely sucked the main Oppositon into helping them to pass a savage budget "in the national interest". Fools the lot of them.

The only hope they have right now, is to go away immediately, and devise their own "joint" 4 year plan, using the figures they saw yesterday, and be able to credibly present it as soon as FF present theirs. Then push for an election on the basis of both plans.

Disillusioned democrat

Another, less cowering way of looking at it would be that FF have allowed the opposition to come out and say that FF have messed up to an even larger degree than they care to admit and they have FF's figures to prove it. FF have no comeback. This is utter desperation, nothing more.
I completely agree, but that's not what came across on 9 o'clock news last night. Picture a visibly shaken Noonan and Burton telling us there's going to have to be severe tax increases AND spending cuts, then segue to a clip of a smiling Brian Cowen opening a school in....you guessed it...Offaly telling us all that it'll be fine once we put our minds to solving the problem at some stage in the not too distant future.

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com
Yes FF played a blinder. They are the Anatoly Karpov of Irish politics.
Q-D8(ch)!
A fork on both the bishop and the knight, splitting black's flank in two, and leaving them with an impossible dilemma.

Folly tha'!

Binnman

Am I missing something here? Why is the Opposition not saying... sorry... shouting about why we need such a draconian budget. That FF have caused this; that we have to have a GE and then the new governmant will set to (to try) to regularise the affairs of the Nation.

I agree with you, LOADED32; it was a bad political move by FF/LP/SF to set foot in the DoF. We need the GE first. Do we need to have French/Greek style revolts first to have that happen?

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com
For their next move they could call a snap election after the budget goes through with FG and Labour support, thereby de-clawing the opposition.
And as someone said on the "how will it end" thread, if they were smart enough they'd go in with Mary Hanafin as Taoiseach - taking the wind out of Eamon Gilmore's "change" message.
It would give them the perfect excuse for a snap election - a 3rd Taoiseach needs a new mandate.

Instead of dropping to 40 they'd only drop to about 55 or 60, Fine Gael and Labour would have the sheen taken off them even before they start, and it's one term opposition yet again.
But but I hear you cry, this time the Great Houdini is cuffed hand and foot, sealed into a mailbag, in a chest welded shut, which chains around it, dropped into the sea and held down with lead weights. Surely he can't get out of this one!
Wait and see.

polcol2

For their next move they could call a snap election after the budget goes through with FG and Labour support, thereby de-clawing the opposition.
And as someone said on the "how will it end" thread, if they were smart enough they'd go in with Mary Hanafin as Taoiseach - taking the wind out of Eamon Gilmore's "change" message.
It would give them the perfect excuse for a snap election - a 3rd Taoiseach needs a new mandate.

Instead of dropping to 40 they'd only drop to about 55 or 60, Fine Gael and Labour would have the sheen taken off them even before they start, and it's one term opposition yet again.
But but I hear you cry, this time the Great Houdini is cuffed hand and foot, sealed into a mailbag, in a chest welded shut, which chains around it, dropped into the sea and held down with lead weights. Surely he can't get out of this one!
Wait and see.
Excellent Analysis, just one small point a comfortable but not massive majority will keep gov deputies on their toes but you are right it will allow ff a critical mass to return for 2016.

Last edited:

Baron von Biffo

By showing the books to the opposition they get to play the responsible government card but hearing them say that the finances are in a mess doesn't reflect well on Lenihan or his predecessors.

The big prize for Cowen would be to sucker one or other of them into a Tallaght II arrangement.

Watcher2

By showing the books to the opposition they get to play the responsible government card but hearing them say that the finances are in a mess doesn't reflect well on Lenihan or his predecessors.

The big prize for Cowen would be to sucker one or other of them into a Tallaght II arrangement.
Are people forgetting that the idea for this "solidarity" actually came from the EU when the 50bn bailout was announced?

First we had Gormless trying to claim it as his idea, then the Biffmeister playing tough saying it would not work, then the opposition throwing their shapes. Now we are at the next stage.

As for "playing a blinder" I think its disgraceful that there is any playing going on here. We are fecked, truly fecked and people will realise this in December because I dont think people actually realise how deep we are in the brown stuff.

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com
Me I was toying with the idea of taking a 2 year contract in Qatar or U.A.E.
After the faces on Noonan and Burton* yesterday my mind is made up.
I'm outta here first chance I get.

*looked like she had chewed 2 lemons instead of the usual 1.

Rocky

Yes, FF did play a blinder. They have completely sucked the main Oppositon into helping them to pass a savage budget "in the national interest". Fools the lot of them.

The only hope they have right now, is to go away immediately, and devise their own "joint" 4 year plan, using the figures they saw yesterday, and be able to credibly present it as soon as FF present theirs. Then push for an election on the basis of both plans.
Probably not a bad idea. However right now Fine Gael and Labour are fighting each other as much as they are fighting Fianna Fail if not more so.

I very very much doubt either party will eventually support a FF budget and they shouldn't and I think all this is just politics.

Thac0man

Twitter
twit taa woo

Agree?
Basically yes. But it is part of a sequence.

First the call for endorsment of a recovery plan to make it look like the opposition is holding up recovery.

Then the government got the EU to endorse FFs final budget projection figures and call for national unity on the recovery plan based on those figures.

And only then show the opposition the figures not even the EU has seen.

In truth its all short term stuff though. How can Oli Rhen and the EU stand behind the government figures when the EU was looking at the inaccurate figures produced by Fianna Fail? Those figures are now shown to be well short of the mark in terms of accuracy.

The Fianna Fail and Green backed recovery plan is a turkey. Thats the real truth. But in that sadly expected revelation lies another nugget, the Greens have not actually endorsed the plan have they? They are waiting the opposition to do so first. The government has created such a toxic mess that no party in government wants to touch it.

By all accounts the government is 2 months off producing any budget that is based on actual accurate figures, if they intend to do so at all. The opposition should pan the FF/Greens plan right now, call it what it is, a sham based on incompetance (at best).

The government had the opposition over a barrel on this, they don't any more.

truepatriot

this site is full of f.f. apologists. f.f. did not play a blinder. they invited the opposition in to view the books, so what! staunch f.f. supporters will never ever vote for this party again. COWEN can laugh all he likes but he is the court jester.