Did Ice Hockey Evolve From Hurling?

General Urko

Picture it, Eastern Canada, Winter, 1820, a few Ulster Scots Presbyterians are playing hurling on a frozen over lake, could it possibly have evolved down the line into the great world game that is ice hockey?
It's a wonderful story that I heard many years ago and while I would love to believe it, I really felt it was just a myth.
Now there's an upcoming documentary - "Poc Na nGael" presented by the wonderful, Ger 'I will bring Sam McGuire back to galway' Loughnane to be previewed at The Galway Film Fleadh on Sunday, which examines the connection between these 2 wonderful sports and AFAIK trys to substantiate this theory!

http://scannain.com/media/poc-na-ngael_poster.jpg

https://www.balls.ie/gaa/ger-loughnane-explores-hurling-link-ice-hockey-poc-na-ngael-368020

Ger Loughane investigates hurling's link to ice hockey in "Poc na nGael" - Hoganstand.com

[video=vimeo;223262124]https://vimeo.com/223262124[/video]

In contrast - Report of hockey’s origins snubs hurling — Irish Echo

Poc na nGael interview with Éamonn Ó Cualáin for Galway Film Fleadh

Documentary examines influence of hurling on ice hockey - Connacht Tribune

Breaking the ice: ‘This sport was tailor-made for this country’

I'm looking forward to this very promising documentary and have alrady got my €9 ticket plus 50c development fee and of course as this is Canada's 150th Birthday, it's a great chance to explore what The Canadian Irish have given!

General Urko

It will be shown on TG4 later on in the year!

Alan Alda

Give a group of chimps a stick and ball and they will 'invent' a 'stick and ball' game.
Its not rocket science. Its not culture.:cool:

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Mm. And take away the stick from the equation for the real evolutionary slowcoaches.

Roberto Jordan

Picture it, Eastern Canada, Winter, 1820, a few Ulster Scots Presbyterians are playing hurling on a frozen over lake, could it possibly have evolved down the line into the great world game that is ice hockey?
It's a wonderful story that I heard many years ago and while I would love to believe it, I really felt it was just a myth.
Now there's an upcoming documentary - "Poc Na nGael" presented by the wonderful, Ger 'I will bring Sam McGuire back to galway' Loughnane to be previewed at The Galway Film Fleadh on Sunday, which examines the connection between these 2 wonderful sports and AFAIK trys to substantiate this theory!

http://scannain.com/media/poc-na-ngael_poster.jpg

https://www.balls.ie/gaa/ger-loughnane-explores-hurling-link-ice-hockey-poc-na-ngael-368020

Ger Loughane investigates hurling's link to ice hockey in "Poc na nGael" - Hoganstand.com

[video=vimeo;223262124]https://vimeo.com/223262124[/video]

In contrast - Report of hockey’s origins snubs hurling — Irish Echo

Poc na nGael interview with Éamonn Ó Cualáin for Galway Film Fleadh

Documentary examines influence of hurling on ice hockey - Connacht Tribune

Breaking the ice: ‘This sport was tailor-made for this country’

I'm looking forward to this very promising documentary and have alrady got my €9 ticket plus 50c development fee and of course as this is Canada's 150th Birthday, it's a great chance to explore what The Canadian Irish have given!
It's spelled Sam Maguire...and I'm surprised Ger made such a commitment given he has never managed a football team, least of all Galways, though he did manage the hurlers-failing to bring Liam McCarthy to Connaught.....
On the question it's a reasonable theory. Hurling and the Irish certainly shaped the game significantly - even just with words like puck, jersey (geansai) and goalie...all used both in Vanada and the proper hockey cities of the US ( NY, Boston, Philly, Pitts, Chicago)

PBP voter

Most civilizations had a game involving a ball and a stick.

They all evolved differently.

Even the Isle of Man has it's version

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cammag

Ice hockey was probably influenced by many games and I'm sure hurling people were part of it.

GDPR

As sure as northerners did from the cold wind and rain.

There's the old joke about why the Canadians prefer sex doggie-style.

It's because that way they can both look at the ice hockey.

Thank you. I'm here all week.

General Urko

It's spelled Sam Maguire...and I'm surprised Ger made such a commitment given he has never managed a football team, least of all Galways, though he did manage the hurlers-failing to bring Liam McCarthy to Connaught.....
On the question it's a reasonable theory. Hurling and the Irish certainly shaped the game significantly - even just with words like puck, jersey (geansai) and goalie...all used both in Vanada and the proper hockey cities of the US ( NY, Boston, Philly, Pitts, Chicago)
That reference was me trying to be ironic, but it doesn't take away from the fact that Ger is a passionate interesting highly intelligent person, just managing a senior Galway Hurling team is even more difficult than managing The Dutch National Soccer Team - The Elftal!
There is a fantastic 'Off The Ball Interview' with him available to podcast/listen to on their site. He actually summed up how difficult it was to manage The Tribesmen, by saying that during his time there, a County Galway Team was in The All-Ireland Club Final and he said to a prominent county board member the night before that I suppose you will be on the road early tomorrow, and the response was I won't be going anywhere near Croker as it's not my club, it's a rival! You wouldn't get such a response anywhere else if another club in a lad's county was in such a position!

General Urko

There's the old joke about why the Canadians prefer sex doggie-style.

It's because that way they can both look at the ice hockey.

Thank you. I'm here all week.
And available for childrens' parties!:rolleyes:

General Urko

And Canada is spelled with a C not a V!:rolleyes:

General Urko

And those American Hockey cities were the huge Irish Cities in the states!petunia

cricket

That reference was me trying to be ironic, but it doesn't take away from the fact that Ger is a passionate interesting highly intelligent person, just managing a senior Galway Hurling team is even more difficult than managing The Dutch National Soccer Team - The Elftal!
There is a fantastic 'Off The Ball Interview' with him available to podcast/listen to on their site. He actually summed up how difficult it was to manage The Tribesmen, by saying that during his time there, a County Galway Team was in The All-Ireland Club Final and he said to a prominent county board member the night before that I suppose you will be on the road early tomorrow, and the response was I won't be going anywhere near Croker as it's not my club, it's a rival! You wouldn't get such a response anywhere else if another club in a lad's county was in such a position!

Yes, you would. Nemo Rangers qualified for an all-Ireland club final some years ago against a northern team (Crossmaglen ?). In an interview leading up to the game, Colin Corkery remarked on how all of Ulster would be supporting the northern team. In contrast, he said, Nemo wouldn't be supported by all of the southside of Cork city.

I've said it here before. I was a cricket fanatic and I played at a high level as well as playing senior hockey.

I've seen hurlers play both games. Put something in their hands and tell them to hit a ball and they will do so awesomely.

With a modicum of coaching a hurler will excel at any sport.

I'm no fan of Gaelic football, but hurling is in a different arena entirely. It's an incredible sport.

BTW, the sort of thing that would be invisible to many is that on match days there were a couple of bars where cricket players would convene for beers before the big game in Croker. It's often in the nature os sportsmen to appreciate other sports and a big game in Croker was always the biggest show in town.

It would be wonderful if even a fanciful link between hurling and ice hockey were established.

General Urko

[/B]

Yes, you would. Nemo Rangers qualified for an all-Ireland club final some years ago against a northern team (Crossmaglen ?). In an interview leading up to the game, Colin Corkery remarked on how all of Ulster would be supporting the northern team. In contrast, he said, Nemo wouldn't be supported by all of the southside of Cork city.
That's not hurling!

General Urko

I've said it here before. I was a cricket fanatic and I played at a high level as well as playing senior hockey.

I've seen hurlers play both games. Put something in their hands and tell them to hit a ball and they will do so awesomely.

With a modicum of coaching a hurler will excel at any sport.

I'm no fan of Gaelic football, but hurling is in a different arena entirely. It's an incredible sport.

BTW, the sort of thing that would be invisible to many is that on match days there were a couple of bars where cricket players would convene for beers before the big game in Croker. It's often in the nature os sportsmen to appreciate other sports and a big game in Croker was always the biggest show in town.

It would be wonderful if even a fanciful link between hurling and ice hockey were established.
The level of hand-eye coordination and visual accuity (ability to see things quickly) is huge in top level hurlers for sure!
A hurling fanatic said to me about 2/3rds of top level hurlers could probably play football in The Premiership, that is most likely stretching it!:rolleyes:
Also the greta traditional cricket areas - Galway, Tipp, Kilkenny, Cork and petunia Westmeath became the hurling strongholds once hurling was formally codified by The GAA! And cricket was the national sport before the development of The GAA and it was also the national sport in The Sates before baseball came on stream! It did have early mover advantage, being codified much earlier than other big sports! Indeed in the highly unlikely event that soccer was not the world game (and honestly, there is no way, it could not in some form), cricket would have emerged as the world game!

The level of hand-eye coordination and visual accuity (ability to see things quickly) is huge in top level hurlers for sure!
A hurling fanatic said to me about 2/3rds of top level hurlers could probably play football in The Premiership, that is most likely stretching it!:rolleyes:
Also the greta traditional cricket areas - Galway, Tipp, Kilkenny, Cork and petunia Westmeath became the hurling strongholds once hurling was formally codified by The GAA! And cricket was the national sport before the development of The GAA and it was also the national sport in The Sates before baseball came on stream! It did have early mover advantage, being codified much earlier than other big sports! Indeed in the highly unlikely event that soccer was not the world game (and honestly, there is no way, it could not in some form), cricket would have emerged as the world game!
One of the first modern attempts to codify the rules of hurling was made in Trinity College and was driven by their cricket club. I have my DUCC jersey somwhere.

Eitherway, it appears that the games were congruent at some stage. There was a documentary made for Sentata which suggests that cricket in Ireland was not killed by the GAA, but simply that cricket did not put up a fight. If yu can find it it is worth a watch. I think it was called "Batmen". The respect across the sporting codes is immense.

General Urko

One of the first modern attempts to codify the rules of hurling was made in Trinity College and was driven by their cricket club. I have my DUCC jersey somwhere.

Eitherway, it appears that the games were congruent at some stage. There was a documentary made for Sentata which suggests that cricket in Ireland was not killed by the GAA, but simply that cricket did not put up a fight. If yu can find it it is worth a watch. I think it was called "Batmen". The respect across the sporting codes is immense.
Cricket failed by 1 vote, AFAIK, from being accepted by The GAA as one of their sports and in fairness Gaelic Football was an invented sport which did not arise organically and it was accepted as a Gaelic Sport and handball was an ancient Greek Game! Mind you basketball was also an invented sport!
Carson is said rather famously to have played 'hurling' (Cussack was a huge cricket head) @ Trinity, but it was most likely 'Hurley' that he played which was akin to field hockey!

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies