Did King Arthur Exist?

Watching the series "Merlin" on BBC on Saturdays with the grandsons, I told them that King Arthur did not really exist, and the Knights of the Round Table were mythical tales and had no basis in reality.

It appears however, that there is evidence that King Arthur did exist and lived in Gwynnyd on the Isle of Anglesea, Nth. Wales, lived there for a while myself actually, but not in the 5th century, I don't think so anyway, but now I have a dilemma. Do I bother doing research on this, or am I right. Was King Arthur just a fairy tale, (not that I am suggesting for one minute that the man was gay).

Or do I admit that yes, Ganny made a mistake and lose all my credblity with the boys?

Catalpa

No one knows for sure Laz...

Some Historians declare he was the real thing

- others just a garbled Legend...

If he did exist he was some kind of Romano-Celtic King fighting his corner in the last days of the Roman Empire....

er....come to think of it....:shock:

jmcc

He existed but what most people would be familiar with is the Norman propaganda designed to make it look like the invaders had a right to be there.

Regards...jmcc

Last edited:

Tea Party Patriot

Watching the series "Merlin" on BBC on Saturdays with the grandsons, I told them that King Arthur did not really exist, and the Knights of the Round Table were mythical tales and had no basis in reality.

It appears however, that there is evidence that King Arthur did exist and lived in Gwynnyd on the Isle of Anglesea, Nth. Wales, lived there for a while myself actually, but not in the 5th century, I don't think so anyway, but now I have a dilemma. Do I bother doing research on this, or am I right. Was King Arthur just a fairy tale, (not that I am suggesting for one minute that the man was gay).

Or do I admit that yes, Ganny made a mistake and lose all my credblity with the boys?
The below is interesting reading on the subject, it does also contain a strong dose of Dan Brown type stuff as well.

However it is a decent read and contains a lot of theories about the arthurian ledgend.

It does promote the welsh theory on Aruthers existence and a scotts irish one as well.

Amazon.com: Bloodline of the Holy Grail: The Hidden Lineage of Jesus Revealed (0080665129285): Laurence Gardner: Books: Reviews, Prices & more

ocoonassa

Idris or Arthur (as they turned him into) was real I think, he battled Saxons then later their descendants and the Normans pretended they were on the same side as Arthur. Ifor Bach or Cai might know more about him.

ibis

You're pretty safe. There's no evidence for him in contemporary sources, and there are question-marks over all the later sources, which may have been forged to follow the legends.

What you definitely say, without fear of any historian contradicting you, is that the King Arthur as usually represented with the Knights of the Round Table has no basis in fact at all. The style of the Knights and of King Arthur that derives from Mallory is a 14th/15th century anachronism.

I

idij

I've always liked this Scottish theory myself: http://www.electricscotland.com/history/Ascreen.pdf

Tea Party Patriot

An interesting aside, the monks of Glastonbury claimed to have found his grave sometime in the 12th century. However it was conveniently located within the grounds of the monastery and you could make a donation to the monastery if you wished to view it.

Over the years the also claimed to have found many other historical graves there, so I think they had a bit of a medieval celebrity burial ground going and quite a profitable one at that.

Thank you all. I bet you are a lawyer Ibis.lol

The Jesus thing, I'd forgotten about that and the grail. Are we saying that Jesus was in fact Welsh? Please God no. There'd be no shutting them up. Singing in the bloody valleys til doomsday!

And the grail. I have a feeling...........Oh Lord. This is great. Loads of new stories. The 13 year old will smirk at me and know I've been scouring wiki, but Johnny still thinks I know everything. For now.

Merlin. I nearly forgot. Anything on Merlin anyone? Uthor was a bastard killing off the old religion beliefs and magic. So was Arthur a Christian?

Riadach

You're pretty safe. There's no evidence for him in contemporary sources, and there are question-marks over all the later sources, which may have been forged to follow the legends.

What you definitely say, without fear of any historian contradicting you, is that the King Arthur as usually represented with the Knights of the Round Table has no basis in fact at all. The style of the Knights and of King Arthur that derives from Mallory is a 14th/15th century anachronism.
I hope to god Lazarus is rearing positivists.

Riadach

Bloody hell Riadach, what are positvists?
Individuals who require very high standards of observable proof in order to accept something as truth, i.e. not content with nods and winks and half-said things from history. They would want his bones, his dna, his handwriting and ppsn number before accepting he existed.

Individuals who require very high standards of observable proof in order to accept something as truth, i.e. not content with nods and winks and half-said things from history. They would want his bones, his dna, his handwriting and ppsn number before accepting he existed.
Oh no, Riadach, you just described my ex, Baldy of London. I don't believe it. I raised those boys. This is not fair. :eek:

I

idij

The below is interesting reading on the subject, it does also contain a strong dose of Dan Brown type stuff as well.

However it is a decent read and contains a lot of theories about the arthurian ledgend.

It does promote the welsh theory on Aruthers existence and a scotts irish one as well.

Amazon.com: Bloodline of the Holy Grail: The Hidden Lineage of Jesus Revealed (0080665129285): Laurence Gardner: Books: Reviews, Prices & more
We're talking about historical figures here :p

We're talking about historical figures here :p
We are indeed, but you are not going to believe what I have just read. Did you know that the Grail was Our Lady? Yep. And Joseph brought her to Anglesea (as you would if you lived in Judea, sitting there one day and suddenly think, I know, let's hop on a camel and head for Wales, safer there) to live out her life before she was assumed into heaven? Or buried on the island. Take your pick. Apparently her grave is there too, as is Arthur's.

No wonder I'm insane. Everyone else is.

Lao-Tse

Merlin. I nearly forgot. Anything on Merlin anyone? Uthor was a bastard killing off the old religion beliefs and magic. So was Arthur a Christian?
IIRC, there was some bard called "Myrddin Wyllt" who is supposed to have lived
in the sixth century, but he lived decades after the historical Arthur is supposed to have lived. Geoffrey of Monmouth made it all up in his book, which is entertaining but completely fallacious (even in the Middle
Ages Geoffrey was regarded as being of questionable accuracy).

As for that BBC series, it's okay (Richard Wilson and Anthony Head are good in it) but for a medieval family adventure show, I'll take "Robin of Sherwood" anyday. :cool:

Barnacle

Don't know about King Arthur but Sir Lancelot definitely existed. He was however reincarnated in the form of a cat and lived happily with us for a number of years. This is what you get when tell a child it can name the pet. :lol:

ibis

Don't know about King Arthur but Sir Lancelot definitely existed. He was however reincarnated in the form of a cat and lived happily with us for a number of years. This is what you get when tell a child it can name the pet. :lol:
Had one called Oedipus as a result of little sister being allowed to pick names. Turned out to be surprisingly accurate on at least one score, mind you.

New Threads