Did outsourcing of cancer testing sentence a woman with cervical cancer to death?

artfoley56

No idea why you'd say that. I'm disgusted with the whole thing. An totally unnecessary death and a woman who had to fight in court while dying is disgusting.
unfortunately one a in long list such a brigid mccole and philomena canning who've had to suffer the same way.

bob3344

He should apologise to my dad too as he died of lung cancer. There was no lung cancer screening so he was in effect murdered by FF/FG.
Sorry to hear that.

Just get a bit tired of the whole 'sincere heartfelt apology offered & valuable lessons have been learned' malarkey

Noble Guardian

Twitter
@NobleGuardianIE
The appeal wasn't against her but was on the issue of 'absolute certainty' of smear test results.
I'm only about half way through reading the supreme court judgement on this case. It's quite a big document and so there's a little bit of time required.
it certainly seems like the American experts who queried the concept of absolute certainty were somewhat browbeaten by the prosecuting barrister. To say therefore that all the experts were agreement that this is the appropriate level seems a little disingenuous on the part of the court.

Last edited:

galteeman

Sorry to hear that.

Just get a bit tired of the whole 'sincere heartfelt apology offered & valuable lessons have been learned' malarkey
no need to be sorry as I was taking the piss anyway.
I was trying to make a point on how farcical all the outrage at politicians is.
I am absolutely certain in the case of some posters that if SF were in charge they wouldn't be blaming the government at all.
Anyways people die all the time from all sorts so why are only some people getting millions?
The point I tried to make was that lots don't even get a test at all. The ones lucky enough to get tested at all know full well there is a level of error associated with any job where thousands of tests are done and looked at.

Last edited:

galteeman

The appeal wasn't against her but was on the issue of 'absolute certainty' of smear test results.
Do people really think the state should just pay out millions to loads of people without any arguments or questioning of the facts? Of course it has to go to the courts and the top court or someone will take legal action and it will end up there anyway.

davidcameron

Do people really think the state should just pay out millions to loads of people without any arguments or questioning of the facts? Of course it has to go to the courts and the top court or someone will take legal action and it will end up there anyway.
Of course not!

james toney

A reminder how Varadkar made false claims in 2018 about the cervical cancer scandal on RTE.

Vicky Phelan is right... 'People have short memories. Sometimes, it is useful to remind them of the broken promises and utter nonsense that the State has EVER been on the side of women.'

Emily Davison

Fair enough I had’t realised that. Because of course smear Tests are never 100 % accurate. They are a medical tool for likely cases.

redmonite

But but ...dying women.......

james toney

Ruth Morrissey, who passed away at the weekend aged just 39, gave voice to those who had been suffering in silence.

It would emerge that more than 220 women with cervical cancer had initially been given the all-clear based on smear tests carried out by CervicalCheck.

Ruth sued the HSE and two laboratories over the misreading of her test results.
For her, it was never about the money. It was a fight to make sure that nothing similar would happen to Irish women again.

i-dont-think-well-ever-recover-tears-flow-at-funeral-of-limericks-ruth-morrissey.html

Noble Guardian

Twitter
@NobleGuardianIE
Out of curiousity, how many of the 220 had errors Which resulted in serious or terminal illnesses? I seem to recall it was quite low.
There aren't 220 Ruth Morrisseys out there.

redmonite

Out of curiousity, how many of the 220 had errors Which resulted in serious or terminal illnesses? I seem to recall it was quite low.
There aren't 220 Ruth Morrisseys out there.
No womens cancer treatment was compromised by not being informed about the audit results.
There is absolutely no evidence that cervical check in Ireland was any less accurate than any other state with a screening programme.
Nowhere in the world awards millions in compensation for women who fall through the screening net.
Why are these three statements of excluded from all media discussions on the Cervical check "scandal"?

davidcameron

From 2018:

Mr O’Brien yesterday defended his decision in 2008 to outsource smear test laboratory checks to a US firm, saying tests would otherwise have been left idle for a year or been examined by doctors “on their kitchen table”.

At a press conference on the escalating cervical cancer test scandal, Mr O’Brien rejected growing criticism of the outsourcing plan.

Mr O’Brien said in 2008 the service “was poor, and I mean really poor” with cervical cancer tests being left in filing rooms for up to a year due to a lack of an organised service in Ireland.

He said, as a result, he took the decision to seek help from the US firm now embroiled in the tests scandal, which could offer a service which was not available in Ireland.

“The choice we had in 2008 was not having a proper service, with tests lying around for a year and possibly doctors examining them on their kitchen table. So, do I think the decision [to outsource] was right? Yes, I do,” he said.

Noble Guardian

Twitter
@NobleGuardianIE
From 2018:

Where the tests are done is irrelevant. What's important is that appropriate standards are met. That the RCOG found that our cervical screening service was as good as theirs suggests that appropriate standards are being met, despite occasional failures.

Should we be able to do these ourselves? Probably, just as everyone should be able to bake bread. However, just because you can do this doesn't mean it's a good use of your resources to do so rather than findg someone else who can do it as well but more efficiently.

james toney

Leo Varadkar was on Radio this morning and tried the same excuse regarding the death of Ruth Morrissey.
He is clearly incapable of any empathy or admitting any wrongdoing to those women and families.
The false state apology was rejected by her family...and also it could not have included Ruth Morrissey....as Vicky Phelan pointed out.

Paul Morrissey, Ruth's widow, issued a damning statement following her death on Sunday stating that neither the State nor the @HSELive apologised to Ruth.
This is correct. The State Apology that was delivered in October 2019 could NOT have included Ruth Morrissey...

redmonite

See
Leo Varadkar was on Radio this morning and tried the same excuse regarding the death of Ruth Morrissey.
He is clearly incapable of any empathy or admitting any wrongdoing to those women and families.
The false state apology was rejected by her family...and also it could not have included Ruth Morrissey....as Vicky Phelan pointed out.

Paul Morrissey, Ruth's widow, issued a damning statement following her death on Sunday stating that neither the State nor the @HSELive apologised to Ruth.
This is correct. The State Apology that was delivered in October 2019 could NOT have included Ruth Morrissey...

See Post 2154, why have these points not been put to the solicitors emoting so powerfully over the airways?

james toney

See

See Post 2154, why have these points not been put to the solicitors emoting so powerfully over the airways?
Maybe later......Is it on a par with the sickness of #2,151...or worse?

New Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom