Did Rotimi Adebari lie about his past?.

Champa

The 43-year-old mayor of Portlaoise said he fled from Nigeria in 2000 because of religious persecution. Yet yesterdays Irish Daily Mail alleges that Mr Adebari lived in the UK prior to arriving in Ireland and worked as a train driver on the London Underground!. If it is proven that he told lies about his past should he resign from his post as mayor?.

LooseCannon

You should read the First Black Mayor thread - it's filled with slobbering indignation.

If he follows the example of every other politician from the Taoiseach down, he won't resign.

Champa

LooseCannon said:
You should read the First Black Mayor thread - it's filled with slobbering indignation.

If he follows the example of every other politician from the Taoiseach down, he won't resign.
Let me be clear, I didn't start this thread to start a cyber witch hunt.
I just want to know if people think he should resign if the allegations are proven.

MichaelR

Champa said:
The 43-year-old mayor of Portlaoise said he fled from Nigeria in 2000 because of religious persecution. Yet yesterdays Irish Daily Mail alleges that Mr Adebari lived in the UK prior to arriving in Ireland and worked as a train driver on the London Underground!
One does not contradict the other.

If he fled Nigeria because of religious persecution, he might have arrived into the UK first, then moved to Ireland.

There is religious persecution of Christians, primarily Protestants, by Islamists in certain parts of Nigeria. If Mayor Adebari is Protestant, I hope to meet him someday at a Church of Ireland service.

I believe that the state should not be blind to religious affiliation of asulym seekers - Christians (of all kinds) are far more likely tham Muslims to be persecuted in Nigeria and many other places. They are also far more likely to integrate successfully, as the case of Mayor Adebari shows.

Champa

MichaelR said:
Champa said:
The 43-year-old mayor of Portlaoise said he fled from Nigeria in 2000 because of religious persecution. Yet yesterdays Irish Daily Mail alleges that Mr Adebari lived in the UK prior to arriving in Ireland and worked as a train driver on the London Underground!

If he fled Nigeria because of religious persecution, he might have arrived into the UK first, then moved to Ireland.

There is religious persecution of Christians, primarily Protestants, by Islamists in certain parts of Nigeria. If Mayor Adebari is Protestant, I hope to meet him someday at a Church of Ireland service.

I believe that the state should not be blind to religious affiliation of asulym seekers - Christians (of all kinds) are far more likely tham Muslims to be persecuted in Nigeria and many other places. They are also far more likely to integrate successfully, as the case of Mayor Adebari shows.
Why did he feel the need to lie though?. If the allegations are true then he did not leave Nigeria in 2000, he would have left well before 2000 and arrived in the UK first!. When he arrived in Ireland he did not come straight from Nigeria.

Bobb

Rotimi is an elected politician and a Nigerian! What on earth makes you think he might be a liar?

pocleary

Champa said:
MichaelR said:
Champa said:

Why did he feel the need to lie though?. If the allegations are true then he did not leave Nigeria in 2000, he would have left well before 2000 and arrived in the UK first!. When he arrived in Ireland he did not come straight from Nigeria.
and under the asylum rules one must apply for asylum in the first country one lands in who have asylum agreements, so in order to be allowed to work on the London Underground he MUST either have been granted asylum or not need it because he had a British passport in the first place.
So hes a migrant worker who moved from London to Dublin and wrongly claimed benefits and a house based on his being an asylum seeker which he clearly was not.
Can a catholic family move from Belfast to Dublin and demand a house because of loyalist parades in their street, hardly likely, eh!

Catalpa

It would appear that Mr Adebari has some very serious questions to answer.

Saturday's Daily Mail carries some very serious questions about his background with named sources that if true contradict his own version of events and would make his claim for Asylum in our Country fraudulent and indeed illegal.

If Mr Adebari feels he has been libelled he should sue this newspaper but so far there is no indication that he will pursue that course of action.

Conor

pocleary said:
and under the asylum rules one must apply for asylum in the first country one lands in who have asylum agreements
No.

Catalpa

But if a person arrives in an EU Country and claims asylum he can't just move to another State as he sees fit and relodge his claim.

http://www.europaworld.org/DEVPOLAWAR/E ... cC_eng.htm

The nub of the issue was this man in Britain legally or illegally?

If he was there legally then his claim to asylum here is bogus (it was indeed rejected) if he was here illegally he should be returned to the British to deal with.

pocleary

Catalpa said:
It would appear that Mr Adebari has some very serious questions to answer.

Saturday's Daily Mail carries some very serious questions about his background with named sources that if true contradict his own version of events and would make his claim for Asylum in our Country fraudulent and indeed illegal.

If Mr Adebari feels he has been libelled he should sue this newspaper but so far there is no indication that he will pursue that course of action.
i know for a fact that london undergrounds employee travel permit and passes section in the Baker Street/Oxford circus office have Mr Adebari's picture and signature on file as do the Union.
hes also registered to vote in londons old kent road

FutureTaoiseach

Website
greatdearleader.blogspot.com
MichaelR said:
Champa said:

But that wouldn't justify an asylum-claim in Ireland if he had the opportunity to claim asylum in the UK first. Remember the Dublin Convention.

Conor

Catalpa said:
But if a person arrives in an EU Country and claims asylum he can't just move to another State as he sees fit and relodge his claim.
The Dublin Convention doesn't impose any obligations on asylum seekers.

Conor

FutureTaoiseach said:
But that wouldn't justify an asylum-claim in Ireland if he had the opportunity to claim asylum in the UK first. Remember the Dublin Convention.
You either haven't read or haven't understood the Dublin Convention.

FutureTaoiseach

Website
greatdearleader.blogspot.com
Conor said:
Catalpa said:
The Dublin Convention doesn't impose any obligations on asylum seekers.
No but the logical conclusion of the fact that signatury-countries can return a claimant to a previous country of entry is that the intent of those who drew up the Convention was to encourage asylum-seekers to claim in the first EU country of entry.

smiffy

Website
cedarlounge.wordpress.com
pocleary said:
that was my understanding of the rules, it has been said often enough in the national press in the UK

so if one lands in France one must ask them for refuge and not sneak into Britain or Ireland and ask.
But if i'm mistaken its ok.
You are mistaken. The Dublin Convention imposes obligations on Member States not on individuals. In the example above, France would be obliged to consider that person's asylum application ahead of Britain or Ireland (although Britain or Ireland can consider the application if it so wished). However, the individual in question is not obliged to apply for asylum in the first EU Member State they enter.

pocleary

smiffy said:
pocleary said:
that was my understanding of the rules, it has been said often enough in the national press in the UK

so if one lands in France one must ask them for refuge and not sneak into Britain or Ireland and ask.
You are mistaken. The Dublin Convention imposes obligations on Member States not on individuals. In the example above, France would be obliged to consider that person's asylum application ahead of Britain or Ireland (although Britain or Ireland can consider the application if it so wished). However, the individual in question is not obliged to apply for asylum in the first EU Member State they enter.

i stand corrected as yer one says..

pocleary

Conor said:
pocleary said:
and under the asylum rules one must apply for asylum in the first country one lands in who have asylum agreements
No.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies