• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Did RTE set up Brian Lenihan Senior?

rant_and_rave

Brian Lenihan Senior's bid for the Aras famously imploded when he denied making phone calls to the Aras in an attempt to persuade President Hillary to refuse a Dail dissolution, during the political crisis of 1982, The questions were raised by Brian Murphy, a Fine Gael activist, during an RTE Questions & Answers program during the presidential campaign of 1990.

Brian Murphy was aware of a taped interview which Lenihan had given to Jim Duffy, an interview in which Lenihan admitted making calls to the Aras and talking to Hillary

Did RTE plant Brian Murphy in the audience so he could ask the difficult questions?

Last edited:

LamportsEdge

Given the history of that family with RTE I'd say it is much more likely that RTE was set up by the Andrews-Lenihans.

And nothing I've seen since would persuade me otherwise.

drummed

How the hell would we know?

ruserious

Like with Bagman, the truth came to the surface. We don't want a 'halftruther' in the Áras.

jpc

He got caught out.
Though!

oggy

Yes, in cahoots with FG

Cato

Brian Lenihan Senior's bid for the Aras famously imploded when he denied making phone calls to the Aras in an attempt to persuade President Hillary to refuse a Dail dissolution, during the political crisis of 1982, The questions were raised by Brian Murphy, a Fine Gael activist, during an RTE Questions & Answers program during the presidential campaign of 1990.

Brian Murphy was aware of a taped interview which Lenihan had given to Joe Duffy, an interview in which Lenihan admitted making calls to the Aras and talking to Hillary

Did RTE plant Brian Murphy in the audience so he could ask the difficult questions?
I believe that it is Jim Duffy, rather than Joe. He later worked as an advisor to Enda Kenny prior to the last election. Duffy was certainly a subject of attacks from FF at the time but the interview does not appear to have been carried out to trip up Lenihan - he seemed to have tripped up himself.

Here's Duffy's wiki page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Duffy_(journalist)

flavirostris

No. RTE had no way of knowing what question Murphy would ask.

Marcos the black

Like Uncle Fester if he hadn't done anything wrong he couldn't have been caught out.

The one thing I will always remember Lenihan Snr. for is how CJ pocketed the money raised for his medical care.

rant_and_rave

He got caught out.
Though!
Of course it was Lenihan's own fault that he told a few porkies but the question is whether RTE took sides in the election and were actively working against him. Remember, the polls were showing Robinson and Lenihan neck and neck. Mary Robinson was the Labour candidate. Was RTE predisposed to Mary Robinson?

flavirostris

The idea can be disproved by the simple fact that RTE took the unprecedented move of devoting an entire LLS to the life and times of Brian Lenihan Snr not long before the 1990 election in which FF'er Gaybo led tributes from the great and the good to him.

That dosen't fit a pattern of them trying to undermine him.

Northsideman

Of course it was Lenihan's own fault that he told a few porkies but the question is whether RTE took sides in the election and were actively working against him. Remember, the polls were showing Robinson and Lenihan neck and neck. Mary Robinson was the Labour candidate. Was RTE predisposed to Mary Robinson?
No, that would never ever happen, surely nobody in RTE is or ever was predisposed to the Workers/Labour Party;)

The OD

Considering both parties have/had poor reputations when it comes to telling the truth, who can say? RTE are not shy about getting involved with politics in a cack handed way and Lenihan was hardly a paragon of truth and honesty.

rant_and_rave

No. RTE had no way of knowing what question Murphy would ask.
Is this true? I understood that the panellists on Q&A are aware of the questions that would be asked.

Murphy's initial question concerned the powers of the President in relation to the dissolution of the Dail. Lenihan gave his answer and then Garrett interjected with a comment about phone calls to the Aras. Murphy then followed up and asked Lenihan a direct question about whether he himself, that is Lenihan, had ever attempted to contact the President by phone. Lenihan denied this and it was game over.

I presume that Lenihan would have been aware that the question re the President and the dissolution of the Dail would be asked but he would not have been aware of the follow up.

Northsideman

Brian Murphy was aware of a taped interview which Lenihan had given to Jim Duffy, an interview in which Lenihan admitted making calls to the Aras and talking to Hillary

Was it just some random notion that prompted you to start this thread or was there some specific reason or info you have?

Northsideman

Is this true? I understood that the panellists on Q&A are aware of the questions that would be asked.

Murphy's initial question concerned the powers of the President in relation to the dissolution of the Dail. Lenihan gave his answer and then Garrett interjected with a comment about phone calls to the Aras. Murphy then followed up and asked Lenihan a direct question about whether he himself, that is Lenihan, had ever attempted to contact the President by phone. Lenihan denied this and it was game over.

I presume that Lenihan would have been aware that the question re the President and the dissolution of the Dail would be asked but he would not have been aware of the follow up.
I think they are made aware of the main topic queries but follow up queries from the floor are supposed to be reactive and random.

rant_and_rave

I believe that it is Jim Duffy, rather than Joe. He later worked as an advisor to Enda Kenny prior to the last election. Duffy was certainly a subject of attacks from FF at the time but the interview does not appear to have been carried out to trip up Lenihan - he seemed to have tripped up himself.

Here's Duffy's wiki page: Jim Duffy (journalist) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Interesting. I see that Duffy worked for Enda Kenny/FG. Was Duffy a member of Young FG at UCD in the late 80s?

Was the Brian Murphy on Q&A the same Brian Murphy who was involved in YFG around the same time. I wonder if they knew each other.

mr. jings

Brian Lenihan Snr. in the Park? Thank Christ we dodged another bullet there.