Did the Taoiseach just indicate that the Croke Park Agreement was dead?

bobbysands81

Brian Dowling on RTÉ News just stated that he said that "schools and hospitals would not be closed but that there would be a fundamental adjustment in relation to the public sector."

firefly123

I would have imagined that the croke park agreement (if it was implemented correctly) would represent a "fundamental adjustment in relation to the public sector". The problem is if it works who the hell will become the next set of whipping boys?

adamirer

If theres a 4 year budget plan being put in place, bet your dollar that public servants are being hit. It'll be pain all round so no sector is seen to get hit in isolation.

nonpartyboy

If theres a 4 year budget plan being put in place, bet your dollar that public servants are being hit. It'll be pain all round so no sector is seen to get hit in isolation.
Like they've done so far like......the pork barrel will still be stuffed, when people are starving on the streets.

Expatriot

All deals this government have made are worthless as the keep breaking their word. There is no bottom line, a national or any type of agreement is pointless. Let them do what they have to do and let others do what they have to do. People either accept the final outcome or their dont. I rejected this deal as I knew it was nonsense. I expect a major exodus from the PS particularly in health, anyone who has a choice will leave, does that dont have a choice will be very bitter.

The 2 Brians would not know what reform looked like if it bit them, there are emersed in this State since they were born. They think it is great.

A four year budget plan from a government with less than a year left if office is a joke. It is also a joke from a government that constantly updates its bottom line plan. There will be another plan every six months. They are a total joke and totally incredible now no matter what they do.

Croke park my eye.

johntrenchard

the 4 year budget plan was not of Lenihan's making - it was an order from the EU Commission.

( reported on Pat Kenny this morning)

adamirer

the 4 year budget plan was not of Lenihan's making - it was an order from the EU Commission.

( reported on Pat Kenny this morning)
BS - mark my words, the EU didnt do a solo run, this is all choreographed. A plans is put in place, Lenihan gets to blame the EU for all the dastardly things about to happen. EU hapopy to take the blame if the does what he says...

grafter1

If there is a 4 year budget plan then i favour an Election now rather than Feb/March.

Let Kenny and Gilmore draw it up as they will be the ones implementing it.

People are probably beginning to grasp the fact that living standards and wages are going to fall a further 30% across the economy. People need to have a say in which parties implement the cuts

FF and the Greens need to go now

Expatriot

It is illegal for a government to set a budget beyond its own term. It is totally undemocratic and totally uncredible.

If this is the plan there is no plan. This plan goes straight in the bin following an election and everyone knows that. Its more cloud cuckooland thinking that has already ruined the country.

nonpartyboy

All deals this government have made are worthless as the keep breaking their word. There is no bottom line, a national or any type of agreement is pointless. Let them do what they have to do and let others do what they have to do. People either accept the final outcome or their dont. I rejected this deal as I knew it was nonsense. I expect a major exodus from the PS particularly in health, anyone who has a choice will leave, does that dont have a choice will be very bitter.

The 2 Brians would not know what reform looked like if it bit them, there are emersed in this State since they were born. They think it is great.

A four year budget plan from a government with less than a year left if office is a joke. It is also a joke from a government that constantly updates its bottom line plan. There will be another plan every six months. They are a total joke and totally incredible now no matter what they do.

Croke park my eye.
Totally agree, management in the public sector are simply incapable of making any fundamental change, their answer to everything is more and more "resources". It's all about keeping the system the way it is, no matter how backwards because that's the one that got them where they are. It's a lost cause, and the usual private sector involvment just has them looking for their bit of pork on top.
I know in my own place in the morning, i could make a few changes that would cost nothing extra, would make the majority of staff much happier and would provide a much better service for the public. Win win, of course management wouldn't like it as it would restrict their ability to reward their small click of pets.

firefly123

Totally agree, management in the public sector are simply incapable of making any fundamental change, their answer to everything is more and more "resources". It's all about keeping the system the way it is, no matter how backwards because that's the one that got them where they are. It's a lost cause, and the usual private sector involvment just has them looking for their bit of pork on top.
I know in my own place in the morning, i could make a few changes that would cost nothing extra, would make the majority of staff much happier and would provide a much better service for the public. Win win, of course management wouldn't like it as it would restrict their ability to reward their small click of pets.
The same in our organisation. The will is there to reform the entire service but there are too many vested interests in the upper management layer. The troops on the ground are adaptable and proactive but the higher up you go the more insulated people become to change. All that happens is they stay the same and draw big wages while the sh1t falls down on the frontline workers.

Disillusioned democrat

I think we can safely assume that TDs and Ministers will not share the pain...nor the quangos and semi-states.

madbeatch

This is so true firefly123. the top of the public sector is heavily invested in creating projects to save their own skins and make thier jobs look viable. we have a large number of higher civil servants with no responsibility or accountability yet they are being paid as though they have.
a cull from the top down would be cost saving and more effective than from the bottom up. the problem with this is that its the people at the top making the decisions and that would mean turkeys voting for christmas never gonna happen

Biffomania

Wow. Good post!That is fascinating. Well Maybe we need to invade somewhere. Have a huge war that destroys a generation and then win and demand payment for 100 years! I think the Isle of Mann would be a good target.
I said it before and I'll say it again, under Cowen, Coughlan and Lenihan we'd be guaranteed to snatch humiliating defeat from the jaws of absolute certainty if we tried to wage war on the IOM, even though they've no armed forces. Imagine the subsequent reparation deal those three Stooges would "negotiate": "You want €50 billion? No way, €100 billion, that's our final offer. And if it's okay with you guys we'll spin it to the Irish public it's only €4 billion but that we'll be making a €1 billion profit out of it".

petervalhala

In the new context we find ourselves, the Croke Park deal has to be renegotiated to ensure we have an efficient and affordable public service

johntrenchard

It is illegal for a government to set a budget beyond its own term. It is totally undemocratic and totally uncredible.

If this is the plan there is no plan. This plan goes straight in the bin following an election and everyone knows that. Its more cloud cuckooland thinking that has already ruined the country.
the EU doesn't do "democracy". we are now , officially, a vassal state taking our orders from the Germans.

and you can blame FF for that.

DCon

From Beard O'Connor's militant speech yesterday I'd say he knows that the Agreement is dead.

His handy part-time State board gigs might even be ending too. Who knows?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies