Diesel farms coming to a field near you

McTell

Twitter
No
You couldn't believe it. All the wind farms out there have down time when the wind stops, and this is made up by stand-by generators powered by diesel.

A very profitable business in the UK it seems, but you wouldn't want one chugging away beside your dream cottage in Wicklow.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/dec/06/diesel-farms-national-grid-tax-breaks

influencemap.org The Dirty Dozen

Do we have any private diesel farms here? Or are they run by the ESB so that must be all right then?

If it's OK to have 3 then surely it must be OK to have 300?

Absurdo

I remember getting a tour of a power plant in the Midlands. When wind dropped suddenly they used 2 jet turbo fan engines to generate while they got the main plant up to temperature.

valamhic

See valmartinireland myth about wind energy. See Irish Energy Blog. Wind does not work, its that simple, learn to live with that fact or face an old age pension of 60 euros a week

Alan Alda

The 'Greens' have a lot to answer for.
Taxing the elderly and poor into poverty, for heating their homes.
Advocating dubious technology and social values.
Eamon Ryan is a sociopath,imo .

Last edited:

truthisfree

See valmartinireland myth about wind energy. See Irish Energy Blog. Wind does not work, its that simple, learn to live with that fact or face an old age pension of 60 euros a week
Greatest con ever... No that was Carbon tax... I have wasted hours and hours researching wind energy, I was an advocate, but it just does not work, unless you throw government subsidies at it then it works in the pocket of the person doing it, but not in an energy sense.

SPN

The tax is on those who waste excessive amounts of energy.

The money raised from the tax (or levy, to be more accurate) is used to insulate the homes of people at risk of fuel poverty, and to provide them with energy efficient heating system.

You might well think that ...... etc.

SPN

Greatest con ever... No that was Carbon tax... I have wasted hours and hours researching wind energy, I was an advocate, but it just does not work, unless you throw government subsidies at it then it works in the pocket of the person doing it, but not in an energy sense.
What subsidies are provided to wind energy companies in Ireland?

wexfordman

The tax is on those who waste excessive amounts of energy.

The money raised from the tax (or levy, to be more accurate) is used to insulate the homes of people at risk of fuel poverty, and to provide them with energy efficient heating system.

You might well think that ...... etc.
And the performance of the greens with regards to road tax?

SPN

automaticforthepeople

What are you using to heat your house? I use kerosene, it's never been cheaper. Would you be drilling down to the earths core to get geothermal energy, by any chance?

wexfordman

What are you using to heat your house? I use kerosene, it's never been cheaper. Would you be drilling down to the earths core to get geothermal energy, by any chance?
The fact that it is currently cheaper has nothing to do with the greens, but they are responsible for a large portion of the cost of it.

wexfordman

Energy efficient vehicles pay lower road tax.
No they don't. Energy efficient vehicles that are new pay less tax (bit don't necessarily pollute less), so less tax is only for those that can afford new cars.

It is/was a fncked up system that favoured the better off and penalised the less well off for no reason, a disgusting piece of legislation.

SPN

No they don't. Energy efficient vehicles that are new pay less tax (bit don't necessarily pollute less), so less tax is only for those that can afford new cars.

It is/was a fncked up system that favoured the better off and penalised the less well off for no reason, a disgusting piece of legislation.
Piffle and balderdash.

The changeover from the old system to the new system occurred in July 2008.

That's eight and a half years ago.

You can buy a fuel efficient 2008 BMW 3 series with a road tax of €270 for about €5,000.

What's not to like about that?

Roberto Jordan

Off topic but on a related note as a visiting emigrant one of the most visible signs of the less likeable , and indeed disgusting , side of Irish society and how it is governed is the 161/ 162 license plate system. Let alone that Ireland is the only country I am aware of that stamps vehicles with year of registration as an inherent part of the license plate but that the old system was not vacuous enough for the "motor industry " ( read rent seeking franchise holders importing everything and making nothing) , that politicians would bend to such a "lobby" given its low value add and that the "keeping up with jones " side of the Irish psyche would play along and ,indeed , deliver a return on the scam ....despite the punitively high price of vehicles in Ireland..

amist4

Piffle and balderdash.

You can buy a fuel efficient 2008 BMW 3 series with a road tax of €270 for about €5,000.

Fuel efficiency has little or nothing to do with it. If you clean the exhaust gas with adblue for example to hit emmission targets, you are not doing anything for fuel efficiency.

wexfordman

Piffle and balderdash.

There was no changeover from old to new, there was the introduction of a two tier system, which for eight years has penalised those who could not afford to change cars, and still continues to do so today. The fact that eight years of pandering to the motor industry and screwing those less well off has happened does not make it right or OK.

And there are still people today who cannot afford to buy a 2008 model car and are raped by the greens two tier system.

I changed our my 2007 car two years ago, and paid 400 euro a year extra tax from 2008 through to 2014 because of the ministers pandering to the simi and his disregard for the reality of how people were impacted.

Of course, if I could have afforded it, I could have just bought a brand new car with the exact same emmissjons, the exact same engine, the exact same spec and paid a hell of a lot less road tax. Very green that isn't it, less tax when you get rid of a perfectly good car, and buy a brand new one.

wexfordman

Piffle and balderdash.

Arrogant green economics right there for ye as well for all to see

SPN

Off topic but on a related note as a visiting emigrant one of the most visible signs of the less likeable , and indeed disgusting , side of Irish society and how it is governed is the 161/ 162 license plate system. Let alone that Ireland is the only country I am aware of that stamps vehicles with year of registration as an inherent part of the license plate but that the old system was not vacuous enough for the "motor industry " ( read rent seeking franchise holders importing everything and making nothing) , that politicians would bend to such a "lobby" given its low value add and that the "keeping up with jones " side of the Irish psyche would play along and ,indeed , deliver a return on the scam ....despite the punitively high price of vehicles in Ireland..
The UK has a similar system. XY-16-ABC for the first half of 2016 and XY-66-ABC for the second half of the year.

Otherwise, you are totally correct in your analysis.

We should go back to the original Irish car registration system, which is still used in Northern Ireland.

SPN

Fuel efficiency has little or nothing to do with it. If you clean the exhaust gas with adblue for example to hit emmission targets, you are not doing anything for fuel efficiency.
SCR gives a 5% to 7% improvement in fuel efficiency.

I'm more of a fan of EGR myself.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies