• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Digital dementia .....

jo9jo

Does the internet make us lose our minds ?

Can you remember the telephone number of a close friend ?

Probably not as you have the number saved on your smartphone and you search for his name before dialing.

Is the smartphone making you dumb ?

What appointments do you have next wednesday ?
Do you need to consult your calender on the smartphone ?

In Korea a sickness called digital dementia has been diagnosed by the medical profession.

firefly123

Do you know how to make a spear from basic materials, hunt with it and then skin and cook what you catch? No? Then you clearly have dementia!

Ren84

This might explain the bouts of stupidity and sheer muppetry exhibited by those who use a tragedy like the Boston bombings as a Shinner bashing exercise.

jo9jo

Do you know how to make a spear from basic materials, hunt with it and then skin and cook what you catch? No? Then you clearly have dementia!
The brain needs to carry out tasks and these experiences leave 'memory traces' in our brains.
If there are no 'memory traces' because your smartphone is taking care of the task then you have a problem.

jo9jo

This might explain the bouts of stupidity and sheer muppetry exhibited by those who use a tragedy like the Boston bombings as a Shinner bashing exercise.
Muppetry has nothing to do with digital dementia.
Digital dementia is when you lose the ability to think for yourself.
You may also lose the ability to think for yourself.

Posters involved in muppetry often are bored or have an agenda.

Dan_Murphy

Probably not as you have the number saved on your smartphone and you search for his name before dialing.

In Korea a sickness called digital dementia has been diagnosed by the medical profession.
I did read some articles that suggested that smartphones might be bad for you because having entertainment always available means you don't daydream as much, was fascinating.

I'll be honest, I know very few birthdays and only a few phone numbers. I don't think its a problem though.

firefly123

The brain needs to carry out tasks and these experiences leave 'memory traces' in our brains.
If there are no 'memory traces' because your smartphone is taking care of the task then you have a problem.
But the analogy stands. I have something that does that for me now. I am not suffering with dementia I simply never learned how to do that.

Prester Jim

Yes, I know I am smarter purely in terms of sorting and analysing data etc but my the facts at my disposal have declined considerably since I was mid 20s which is not as it should be.
I used to beat the lot of them in university challenge now I cannot tolerate it as it exposes my horrible ignorance.
Its the internet I tell thee!

jo9jo

I did read some articles that suggested that smartphones might be bad for you because having entertainment always available means you don't daydream as much, was fascinating.

I'll be honest, I know very few birthdays and only a few phone numbers. I don't think its a problem though.
It probably is not a big problem for you but I think it will be a huge problem for the 'digital natives' who are surrounded by smartphones, etc.

In my view a classroom is no place for a computer, tablet-pc, etc.
These devices do not aid the learning process.

The only way to teach kids is to invest in teachers.

Does The Internet Make You Dumb? Top German Neuroscientist Says Yes - And Forever - All News Is Global |

Prester Jim

Very good point, I am never far from an instant entertainment source (well I suppose I never was anyway if I was alone :shock:) and so I spend much less time in creative thinking, must be the same for all others so affected surely?
Come to think of it, I always had the best ideas and thoughts when I was otherwise miserable, maybe it is happiness that has stuck a stick in my brain's front wheel.

Prester Jim

It probably is not a big problem for you but I think it will be a huge problem for the 'digital natives' who are surrounded by smartphones, etc.

Does The Internet Make You Dumb? Top German Neuroscientist Says Yes - And Forever - All News Is Global |
Yeah, IT is a great source of videos, pictures, animations and other educational games but the longer I am teaching the more obvious it is to me that they are pointless without a great guide or teacher.
Guided discovery is the only way.

Dan_Murphy

Absolutely! I'm not convinced that tablets are a good substitute for books just yet. When I was doing my leaving cert the second hand books I had were invaluable, lots of notes left scribbled in there by their previous owner.

L

lochlannach

Only if you live in a society where you would have been using and needing to use such skills everyday.

Victor Meldrew

There was a bit of Dementia on that thread by some of the "32 county, dress up at the weekend brigade" posters. And then we have the dementia evident on the where is bertie thread..

And then there is anything relating to Reilly or Phil being part of a party that will bring ethics and competence , accompanied by a party of principle, offering an alternative to Frankfurt's way....

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies