• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Diplomatically treacherous territory!!...RTE Report of president Higgins Statement on abortion legislation

irishpancake

Diplomatically treacherous territory!!...RTE Report of president Higgins Statement on abortion legislation

Just wondering did anyone else hear RTE reporter say this on the 6 o'clock news......

reporting on President Higgins statement regarding Abortion legislation, Paul Cunningham described Higgins statement as Diplomatically treacherous territory

See the video report here:

President says 'certainty' needed in abortion laws - RTÉ News

around 1:37 into report, but the video is short, so listen for context, perhaps I misheard.

Regardless of what Higgins said, I find that description rather odd.

Does anyone agree??

jmcc

Wonder if the Red Dwarf is about to cause problems for the Stickies and FG? :)

Cato

Wonder if the Red Dwarf is about to cause problems for the Stickies and FG? :)
It certainly seems that he wants to sometimes. He made a few comments on economic policy that while in abstract stand in contrast to government policy.

jmcc

It certainly seems that he wants to sometimes. He made a few comments on economic policy that while in abstract stand in contrast to government policy.
Perhaps he seems to believe that he was elected by an unrigged election. :) Could this be an O'Dalaigh V2.0 in the offing?

Hewson

If it's 'certainty' Higgins is after, what in God's name was he doing in Gilmore's Labour Party?

Mercurial

Just wondering did anyone else hear RTE reporter say this on the 6 o'clock news......

reporting on President Higgins statement regarding Abortion legislation, Paul Cunningham described Higgins statement as Diplomatically treacherous territory

See the video report here:

President says 'certainty' needed in abortion laws - RTÉ News

around 1:37 into report, but the video is short, so listen for context, perhaps I misheard.

Regardless of what Higgins said, I find that description rather odd.

Does anyone agree??
It's not odd - RTE reporters are not very articulate in general; this is par for the course.

jmcc

If it's 'certainty' Higgins is after, what in God's name was he doing in Gilmore's Labour Party?
It would seem, to those into conspiracy theories, that shifting the Red Dwarf sideways into the Aras was useful. Having a dismal gobsh!te like Mitchell from FG as an opponent strengthened the chances he'd win. But when Gallagher looked like winning, he had to be nobbled by Labourites in RTE. Of course it is just a mad, phase of the Moon conspiracy theory and nothing like that would really happen in modern Ireland. :)

storybud1

During his campaign (which he needn't have bothered since HQ were so friendly with the Frontline staff) he constantly fudged the abortion issue and of course being so high up in the Liberal party (there simply no point in calling them Labour anymore) it was pretty obvious where his stance is.

His response today was very opinionated towards abortion and so he is really close to the line and if he does commit "Stated misbehaviour" then impeachment is an option for the Oireachtas.

Hewson

It would seem, to those into conspiracy theories, that shifting the Red Dwarf sideways into the Aras was useful. Having a dismal gobsh!te like Mitchell from FG as an opponent strengthened the chances he'd win. But when Gallagher looked like winning, he had to be nobbled by Labourites in RTE. Of course it is just a mad, phase of the Moon conspiracy theory and nothing like that would really happen in modern Ireland. :)
Hhmmm. Not inconceivable by a long stretch.

I never really expected that Higgins would shut the door of the Aras behind him and only reappear at rugby matches and on St Patrick's Day. Listening to his speeches when he's in full flight, it was always obvious that he doesn't like not expressing his opinions. He has lots to say on lots of things and a little thing like the Presidency isn't going to get in his way.

This is one poet who ain't going to let the horseman pass by . . .

grognard

All I could think was thank god we didn't vote that other gob************************e in. The 27% are still out there!

On topic, what should he have answered, it was a q&a, probably shouldn't have been put in situation by his handlers

borntorum

Hhmmm. Not inconceivable by a long stretch.

I never really expected that Higgins would shut the door of the Aras behind him and only reappear at rugby matches and on St Patrick's Day. Listening to his speeches when he's in full flight, it was always obvious that he doesn't like not expressing his opinions. He has lots to say on lots of things and a little thing like the Presidency isn't going to get in his way.

This is one poet who ain't going to let the horseman pass by . . .
His repeated criticisms of so-called neo-liberal economics are completely inappropriate given his position, irrespective of whether one agrees with him or not (I do to a large extent).

If the President was making right wing comments, it would be picked up on much more quickly by the media and politicians

S

simeongrimes

His opinions are approved so he will have no problem. If a President Dana made the opposite case we would have a constitutional crisis. Imagine the Irish Times on its high horse in that scenario.

The point is not about abortion (I'm pro-choice) but about the news agenda and how it is shaped by conformity

Hewson

His opinions are approved so he will have no problem. If a President Dana made the opposite case we would have a constitutional crisis. Imagine the Irish Times on its high horse in that scenario.

The point is not about abortion (I'm pro-choice) but about the news agenda and how it is shaped by conformity
Nobody cares much any more what the Irish Times thinks. It's sinking into obscurity through predictability and is still probably the continent's most boring newspaper.

Higgins should continue his pre-election policy of being non-committal on the abortion issue, since many of his votes, my own included, would have come from people with deep reservations on the subject. It would at least be honest if he did so.

But then, honesty . . . politicians . . .

gatsbygirl20

Michael D is lovin' it at the Sorbonne. Beautiful weather in Paris today, a touch of Spring. Great to see him getting invited to so many places. The President has to wait for the invitations to come before he travels, which can be a bit embarrassing if they taper off...

He said in his speech that we are "social beings", not just commodified consumers. Very harmless feelgood stuff there. Nobody would disagree...

He was questioned from the floor about the Abortion legislation. He said he was precluded as President from expressing an opinion, but said that we needed certainty on the issue...which is the government's position...

irishpancake

I was more concerned in the phraseology.....

and the use of the word treacherous in the report.

I don't think it was a very diplomatic turn of phrase, to coin one, to use that word in any context about our Head of State and [Nominal] Supreme Commander of the Irish Defence Forces, among other real and nominal roles.

Could the reporter have misspoke, perhaps he meant to say something else altogether??

J

john moriarty

Frankly I'm surprised that the man
hasn't gobbed off much more since
his election; pesky restrictions be
damned.

gatsbygirl20

I was more concerned in the phraseology.....

and the use of the word treacherous in the report.

I don't think it was a very diplomatic turn of phrase, to coin one, to use that word in any context about our Head of State and [Nominal] Supreme Commander of the Irish Defence Forces, among other real and nominal roles.

Could the reporter have misspoke, perhaps he meant to say something else altogether??

He probably meant that Michael D was walking on thin ice--which he was, but nimble footed little brainy guy that he is, he did not stumble and go crashing into the water....

Michael D understands that he can walk up to the line, but never cross it...

Standing in that beautiful historic university, centre of the student protests of '68, faced with questions from students so like the young restless students of UCG when he started teaching there in the 60s......

Well, he was not going to totally fold ,but he was not going to express an opinion either....