Direct Democracy Ireland claims to have 4,000 members and 11 offices

Grizzly

In an interview with Ocean FM last month, Ben Gilroy who is contesting Meath East on behalf of DDI, claims DDI have offices in Letterkenny, Cavan, Meath (x2), Kildare, Mayo, Tipperary, Waterford, Dublin (x3) and new ones "opening in all counties" and that the party has 4,000 members.

I've never seen any offices nor met any of their supporters.

This all seems a bit difficult to believe.

What do people think of the party anyway?

Link: [video=youtube;LDrxmh6CB-w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDrxmh6CB-w[/video]

Dame_Enda

Encouraging if true. Expect the usual smears from the Establishment parties about funding etc.

Analyzer

If true it is good news. Ireland needs new parties. Not just one or two. But about five.

It should not prove surprising. The people are desperate for different options.

When we see people telling opinion polls that they would seriously considering voting for the party that is led by Meehaul Martin (of all people), then we see clear evidence that there is a desperate lack of options out there.

Honecker

I very much doubt they have anything like 4000 members. These people can't even define what they stand for beyond calling a referendum on everything.

niall78

These people can't even define what they stand for beyond calling a referendum on everything.
I would have thought having 'a referendum on everything' was the whole point of any direct democracy movement?

Ryan Tubbs

Are these the cranks who think there should be recall elections for TDs if you get 5,000 signatures?

Imagine the anarchy that would bring to our politics, which is already dominated by the paranoia of our backbench TDs

jmcc

Are these the cranks who think there should be recall elections for TDs if you get 5,000 signatures?

Imagine the anarchy that would bring to our politics, which is already dominated by the paranoia of our backbench TDs
Wouldn't that be an idea worth voting for? Get rid of the coffin surfers, the useless and the parasites with 5000 signatures? Those in the Dail would never allow it.

Honecker

I would have thought having 'a referendum on everything' was the whole point of any direct democracy movement?
I wouldn't really be up for voting on how long the traffic lights should stay green for or voting to elect national school principles to be honest.

Telemachus

Website
en.wikipedia.org

No, Moron.

Heres the DDI lad from Waterford. I would encourage people here to get involved.

[video=youtube;vHC2DqtQP3E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=vHC2DqtQP3E[/video]

Telemachus

Website
en.wikipedia.org
I very much doubt they have anything like 4000 members. These people can't even define what they stand for beyond calling a referendum on everything.
You are missing the entire point. The purpose is to push power from the whip system to the people.

Honecker

You are missing the entire point. The purpose is to push power from the whip system to the people.
What makes you think most people want to be involved in day to day political decison making?

niall78

I wouldn't really be up for voting on how long the traffic lights should stay green for or voting to elect national school principles to be honest.
Do they want votes for these things or are you just making up stuff as a way to discredit the idea of direct democracy?

IrishWelshCelt

Wouldn't that be an idea worth voting for? Get rid of the coffin surfers, the useless and the parasites with 5000 signatures? Those in the Dail would never allow it.
It would be completely impractable, I mean in any consitutency you'll get 5000 votes from parties that didnt win, between SF/SP/SWP/Ind you'd easily have that alone in every constutency never mind getting FF/FG vote involved. We be having elections every week, it'd be crazy.

niall78

What makes you think most people want to be involved in day to day political decison making?
The whole point of democracy is that they are or should be involved. You think all democracy requires is ticking a ballot every four years?

Dame_Enda

I strongly support being able to force referenda on matters which the public care enough about to vote on, but which the political-elite do not want us to because of the sway of lobbies.

Our system of administration is largely a relic of British rule. More suited to administering a Crown Colony than an independent nation.

Telemachus

Website
en.wikipedia.org
It wouldnt be day to day poltiical decision making. Its true 25% would vote for FF tommorow, so maybe your right, DDI should give up and go home - people clearly want dynastical representative democracy ruled over by "the whip". FS.

Analyzer

.....where would this be useful ?

Dicey Reilly.

jmcc

It would be completely impractable, I mean in any consitutency you'll get 5000 votes from parties that didnt win, between SF/SP/SWP/Ind you'd easily have that alone in every constutency never mind getting FF/FG vote involved. We be having elections every week, it'd be crazy.
To quote the greatest journalist ever: "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." :)

Honecker

The whole point of democracy is that they are or should be involved. You think all democracy requires is ticking a ballot every four years?
That's all dandy but I talked to one of the leaders of DDI called Helen and she wants peopkle to burn paper money and go back to carrying around gold. Forgive me if I'm a bit cynical about these people.

niall78

That's all dandy but I talked to one of the leaders of DDI called Helen and she wants peopkle to burn paper money and go back to carrying around gold. Forgive me if I'm a bit cynical about these people.
First you claimed direct democracy was about 'voting on how long the traffic lights stayed green'.

Then you claim nobody 'wanted to be involved in day to day political decision making'.

But you couldn't provide links, evidence or any counter argument when these points were refuted.

Now you claim somebody involved with direct democracy in Ireland is a possibly against central banks or is a gold bug. I'm not really sure what you are trying to insinuate.

I'll wait for you to prove any of your assertions before I get too outraged by the last attempted (I think) smear.