Direct Provision protesters seeking asylum or a job?

McTell

Twitter
No
Not for the first or last time the Direct Provision system is being criticised.

If I needed asylum, and was in real fear of my life, I don't think I would be too fussy about shelter and food.

Direct provision is

The system seems slow, but surely that's the nature of these application; often very little paperwork and some applicants have actually been dishonest. :shock2::? Many want a job in the EU, or a passage to england.

Some of us might like the state to better look after our poor neighbours first, and then worry about people who have usually been able to fly in here. Why not fly to somewhere closer? Why would you choose a relatively poor EU country, unless you had heard its systems weren't that great, and you might slip thru a crack found by your legal aid lawyer.

tigerben

Why don't the those in DP and their supporters first admit that the length of time that's spent in DP is as a Result of legal challenges to descision so that they didn't like. They take case after case hoping that they are here so long they get leave to remain. Those that flee in fear from Africa to Ireland when Ireland would fit in to Africa many many many times over instead of moving to another part of Africa ! Anyway Pakistanis are number one seeking asylum this year. Fleeing from ( England and overstaying visas ) another large country where they seemingly can't find safety .

ger12

I'd be concerned if I felt unsafe in direct provision. I don't get a sense of a safe environment, do you?

It's just plain wrong to push people into what are ghettos, we should be intergrating asylum seekers throughout our county into communities.

realistic1

I'd be concerned if I felt unsafe in direct provision. I don't get a sense of a safe environment, do you?

It's just plain wrong to push people into what are ghettos, we should be intergrating asylum seekers throughout our county into communities.
Thats fine, but can the advocates of refugee rights and mass immigration show leadership when it comes to "integrating" Then populations may be more accomating and accepting.

http://www.politics.ie/forum/current-affairs/250801-advocates-mass-immigration-should-show-us-real-leadership-not-just-words.html

Catalpast

The latest Demand is that we allow asylum seekers to work and get welfare

That in effect mans open door Mass Immigration from the Third World

ger12

Thats fine, but can the advocates of refugee rights and mass immigration show leadership when it comes to "integrating" Then populations may be more accomating and accepting.

http://www.politics.ie/forum/current-affairs/250801-advocates-mass-immigration-should-show-us-real-leadership-not-just-words.html
I agree. Leadership has been poor to date and you could bring this right down to county counsellor level. I canvassed a council housing estate in a big town during the last local elections and it was plain that "foreigners" were being grouped together not integrated through the various estates.

ger12

The latest Demand is that we allow asylum seekers to work and get welfare

That in effect mans open door Mass Immigration from the Third World
You don't have to give into every demand. I think it's cruel to deny anyone the opportunity to work when they wish to, do you?

The asylum process could be much more speeded up if there was a effort to do so.

Herr Rommel

Once the application is rejected they need to be sent home on the first flight.

A good three quarters of them are chancing their arm anyway.

Catalpast

You don't have to give into every demand. I think it's cruel to deny anyone the opportunity to work when they wish to, do you?

The asylum process could be much more speeded up if there was a effort to do so.
Its cruel to tell Irish people to go to the back of the Q

- while a vast supply of cheap labour flows in the door...

This is the Strategy of the Capitalist

Crash the cost of labour & drive up the price of property

ger12

Its cruel to tell Irish people to go to the back of the Q

- while a vast supply of cheap labour flows in the door...

This is the Strategy of the Capitalist

Crash the cost of labour & drive up the price of property
We have a minimum wage to protect all workers.

Texal Tom

Twitter
Don't tweet
Once the application is rejected they need to be sent home on the first flight.

A good three quarters of them are chancing their arm anyway.
We wouldn't have a problem if we had a robust system - the chancers would arrive and be sent back a month later after spending their time in a holding facility. The chancers would be back home telling their friend that if you are a changer don't bother trying Ireland
And genuine people would be looked after properly

Prester Jim

This is an inhumane situation, a normal person could be driven to distraction by the conditions they are being kept in. The answer is to fast track all the applications and give full rights to those who pass the bar for genuine refugee status and send home those who don't. What exactly is the problem with putting some resources into getting this done quickly, why can't we just contract a company with experience to get rid of the tailback and leave the current system in place to deal with the normal flow, we have done it with passports, driving tests, backlog of surgeries and more. How complex is it to find out what country someone is from and decide (from a fairly short list of states) if that country supports their claim for refugee status? We don't need another source of economic migrants as the EU provides ample talent for that purpose among others.

Herr Rommel

We wouldn't have a problem if we had a robust system - the chancers would arrive and be sent back a month later after spending their time in a holding facility. The chancers would be back home telling their friend that if you are a changer don't bother trying Ireland
And genuine people would be looked after properly
Australia tough stance is based on common sense.

realistic1

We have a minimum wage to protect all workers.
Do you honestly think that "minimum wage' is enforced in this State? When you have a surplice of migrant and indigenous workers there is pressure on wages.

asset test

The legal profession and the ability to appeal ad infinutum is the problem.

If we had a robust system direct provision would not exist.

Herr Rommel

The legal profession and the ability to appeal ad infinutum is the problem.

If we had a robust system direct provision would not exist.
The vermin of the legal profession are the real winners in all of this.

Roll_On

I assume by abolishing direct provision they mean replacing it with the full welfare entitlement €188per week. What funding model do they propose for this? Will the governments of Pakistan and Nigeria fund the difference? If so why not protest there?

I assume that it is in fact Irish people behind this movement, since actual asylum seekers would be form countries where people receiving free stuff and protesting for more free stuff would be such a completely alien concept as to make it early unthinkable.

wombat

Not for the first or last time the Direct Provision system is being criticised.

If I needed asylum, and was in real fear of my life, I don't think I would be too fussy about shelter and food.
I was thinking along similar lines after listening to Regina Doherty talking about the unaccompanied minors from Calais and how they wanted kids who would stay here rather than using us as a back door to the UK. It reminded me of an Iranian guy I worked with in Canada about 25 years ago.
He was working as an electrical supervisor on a project, taking abuse from people who were not in his league workwise. He had been the chief electrical engineer in what was the biggest oil refinery in the world prior to the Revolution. He was a Bahai, so he was fired from his job. Luckily, he had contacts and they fixed him up in a job in a pulp mill hundreds of miles away where he worked for several years. Again, his Muslim friends looked after him and warned him that the fanatics were coming and this time he would be murdered. He escaped with his family and made their way to a refugee camp in Germany where they stayed for 2 years. One of the guys asked him why he chose to come to Canada and he replied he didn't. Canada was the first country to offer him refuge and the rule was, you accepted the first offer. He was in his mid fifties and had found his feet, his kids were completely assimilated, into hockey etc but his wife couldn't manage to learn English so his Thursday evenings consisted of going around the supermarket helping her with grocery shopping.
No point to the story other than to remind people that there are people who really are refugees.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies