Dirty beaches

orbit

This has been mentioned on the news today and yesterday, but when I went for a walk on the beach in Donabate yesterday evening, I was just gobsmacked at the state of the place after the bank holiday weekend.

Are we the dirtiest nation on the planet or what? Or is it just Dubliners, or Northsiders in particular? There was all kinds of rubbish from dirty nappies, to plastic bottles, and paper, just strewn everywhere and floating in the sea. There was even bags of neatly packed rubbish, just left there, obviously by people with some sense of environmental awareness, though sadly not enough.

I wasn't there over the weekend, but I got an impression of what it must have been like, as there was one car load of yobs, with the radio playing at max volume, drinking, roaring and shouting.

I don't know what the answer is. In one way, I think Fingal Co Co are right not to put bins on the beach. They'd never be able to cope with the load from a weekend like we just had, and it really isn't that unreasonable to expect people to take their rubbish home. But maybe the answer is to charge people a few euros to drive on to the beach and use the money to fund a proper service with waste collection, toilets etc.

Anybody else have an opinion on this?

Tommy Tayto

The best is when they break the beer bottles and leave them in the sand. It takes a special breed of scumbag to do that. They should be made pick up the shards with their arse cheeks...

Good idea about the charges though.

wexfordman

Whats fingal co council got to do with it, do they employ a lot of dirty beeches ?

Upper Chamber

I agree with the above. There are no civic values in this country. People assume they have the RIGHT to be as obnoxious, loud and stupid as they please. Proscute them to the fullest extent of the law, seize their property to pay for damage/clean ups. Anyone who breaks glass in order to cut or slash a person (even a child) who might step on it should face assault charges.
Might help if the Gardai waddled out of their cars and enforced the law.

LitterHater

Dirty Beaches

Finally, someone is discussing this. I am continuously amazed by the way Irish people ignore rubbish and litter their environment. In my home town of Bray there are little bins and bags made available on the sea front for people to pick up after their dogs and yet the promenade is full of dog poop. A few weeks ago, I watched a woman pull into her driveway on the Sidmonton Road (a very nice address), look at three beer cans that had been tossed over the wall into her garden, take a broom and sweep the cans out into the public pavement. Would it have killed her to pick them up and put them in her re-cycling bin standing outside the front door? And don't even get me started on the number of smokers who think it's acceptable to put a butt on the ground, step on it and leave it there. It's embarrassing and shameful.

5intheface

The best is when they break the beer bottles and leave them in the sand. It takes a special breed of scumbag to do that. They should be made pick up the shards with their arse cheeks...
Wouldn't disagree with the punishment there. I was at Benone strand, Co. Derry today with the wee one. It was not bad at all considering, but when we ventured into the dunes towards a path that leads to the visitor centre, we had to go back for footwear as there was glass everywhere. No amount of council cleansing could solve that problem. What irked me the most was at one point, someone had taken the time to wedge chards of broken beer bottle in a line accross the path which was constructed from wooden planks.

As an aside, the visitor centre was closed? Only opens at the weekend until July. Weird.

Factorem

TBQH, there are more important things to be worrying about than dirty feckin beaches. Still, will keep the moratorium journos busy (that, along with exams ****-up).

Tommy Tayto

And don't even get me started on the number of smokers who think it's acceptable to put a butt on the ground, step on it and leave it there. It's embarrassing and shameful.
Even worse, ever see the people who just tip the ash tray from their car straight out the window? I've often had to hold myself back from dumping the butts straight back in. Hanging's too good etc....

wexfordman

Eh.... They are responsible for managing the beaches in .... Fingal :confused:
Sorry, I was trying to be funny, obviously not hard enough :p

I was going to go further, but feared bad taste might take over, particularly with taytos ref to picking up shards of glass with thier arse cheeks.

Dirty Beeches picking up shards of glass with thier arse cheeks...... so on and so on.

Obviously me having to explain it says more aobut my sense of humour that anyone elses!!

LitterHater

Factorem:

That attitude is exactly what is crippling about Irish society. "Ah sure, we have bigger things to worry about, so let's not even pick up after ourselves". The litter problem in Ireland has a direct effect on tourism because there'e nothing attractive about a slum which is what many potentially nice Irish areas look like, especially in the summer time. Littered areas encourage loitering and petty crime since thugs know that no-one is really watching out for the area. Litter from plastic bags, bottles and other substances find their way into our waters, poisoning fish and polluting fresh water supplies. I could go on and on. What on earth is wrong with taking some responsibility and taking your rubbish home from a day out or requiring shops to patrol the outside of their premises from dropped ice pop wrappers and crisp bags?

orbit

I was going to go further, but feared bad taste might take over, particularly with taytos ref to picking up shards of glass with thier arse cheeks.

Dirty Beeches picking up shards of glass with thier arse cheeks...... so on and so on.

Obviously me having to explain it says more aobut my sense of humour that anyone elses!!
Ah sorry, get it now. reminds me of a t-shirt someone brought me back from Spain once, that said "Sun of a beach"

wexfordman

Ah sorry, get it now. reminds me of a t-shirt someone brought me back from Spain once, that said "Sun of a beach"

oh great, so thats the level my so called humour has stooped to:(

goosebump

In Long Island in New York you have to pay to park in beach carparks. They're spotless.

orbit

I agree with the above. There are no civic values in this country. People assume they have the RIGHT to be as obnoxious, loud and stupid as they please. Proscute them to the fullest extent of the law, seize their property to pay for damage/clean ups. Anyone who breaks glass in order to cut or slash a person (even a child) who might step on it should face assault charges.
Might help if the Gardai waddled out of their cars and enforced the law.
On the legal aspect, Fingal Co Co created new bye-laws for beaches a while ago, and they looked for public input to the process. One comment I made to them, was that enacting bye-laws is a waste of time unless there is a real intent to enforce them. So, we have all these impressive laws controlling litter, and limiting nuisance from noise etc. but it doesn't make a blind bit of difference because they aren't enforced.

I suspect though that litter offences would be impractical to prosecute on beaches, so that's why (reluctantly) I think local authorities have to get more involved in actively collecting litter on beaches.

Ecoguy

Factorem:

That attitude is exactly what is crippling about Irish society. "Ah sure, we have bigger things to worry about, so let's not even pick up after ourselves". The litter problem in Ireland has a direct effect on tourism because there'e nothing attractive about a slum which is what many potentially nice Irish areas look like, especially in the summer time. Littered areas encourage loitering and petty crime since thugs know that no-one is really watching out for the area. Litter from plastic bags, bottles and other substances find their way into our waters, poisoning fish and polluting fresh water supplies. I could go on and on. What on earth is wrong with taking some responsibility and taking your rubbish home from a day out or requiring shops to patrol the outside of their premises from dropped ice pop wrappers and crisp bags?
Well said! - The majority of Irish people have no pride when it comes to the great blessings nature has bestowed on this Island. How else do you explain people driving miles out other way to dump rubbish in beauty spots when nearly all of it can be recycled in nearby facilities for free/or a small charge. What we need is a kick-ass team of litter wardens who'll take no crap and hand out fines on the spot to these scumbags, its a no brainer really since given how filthy and rubbish strewn this country is becoming they could easliy pay for themselves with the revenue generated from enforcing the law in this area for once!!

Last edited:

MsAnneThrope

[I posted this reply earlier on another thread on the subject so just a lazy cut n paste here. Will discuss further Thurs or Fri]

This happens at most decent beaches in the country. I have an idea, although an admittedly absurd one for Ireland, but how about we enforced the law and fined the litterers? Random, undercover observations/spot checks.

Also, if you're on a beach, and you see one of these ignorant pigs (that's all they are) about to leave without their litter, tell them! I do! I say "Sorry but you cannot leave that there". It usually works. It's about time Irish people stood up more for what is right

fiannafailure

[I posted this reply earlier on another thread on the subject so just a lazy cut n paste here. Will discuss further Thurs or Fri]

This happens at most decent beaches in the country. I have an idea, although an admittedly absurd one for Ireland, but how about we enforced the law and fined the litterers? Random, undercover observations/spot checks.

Also, if you're on a beach, and you see one of these ignorant pigs (that's all they are) about to leave without their litter, tell them! I do! I say "Sorry but you cannot leave that there". It usually works. It's about time Irish people stood up more for what is right
It would help if there was a few litter bins

sauntersplash

I thought it was pretty funny.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies